Possible Knackered hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jedi-Jonny, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Jedi-Jonny

    Jedi-Jonny Guest

    My mum has a problem with her 2 year old computer and I have tried
    everything to fix it.
    Can't access the hard drive at all and the A-drive seems inoperative also. I
    can get into the Bios, but I cant make it boot from the A-drive to run a
    first aid program, only the hard drive (as an option) or the CD rom drive.
    I've tried a boot disk in the cd-rom and I can get access to that, but still
    not the hard drive.

    The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
    Capable but disabled
    There is also a blue screen error page which runs through lots of file names
    then gives a mounted volume error message.
    My mother lets all her grandchildren use the PC (ages 17 down to 3) so we
    are leaning towards a possible internet virus problem where its killed the
    hard drive.
    Would love to have a possible answer/solution to this other than buy a new
    drive, which isn't a problem, but there are digital photographs my mum would
    rather save.

    TIA.

    Jedi-Jonny, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Jedi-Jonny

    philo Guest

    "Jedi-Jonny" <> wrote in message
    > My mum has a problem with her 2 year old computer and I have tried
    > everything to fix it.
    > Can't access the hard drive at all and the A-drive seems inoperative also.

    > can get into the Bios, but I cant make it boot from the A-drive to run a
    > first aid program, only the hard drive (as an option) or the CD rom drive.
    > I've tried a boot disk in the cd-rom and I can get access to that, but

    still
    > not the hard drive.
    >
    > The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
    > Capable but disabled

    All that means is that the harddrive monitoring utility (SMART)
    is not turned on in the BIOS...
    if you enable it...you will only see a message if the harddrive is about to
    fail

    philo, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Jedi-Jonny

    philo Guest

    > > The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
    > > Capable but disabled

    > All that means is that the harddrive monitoring utility (SMART)
    > is not turned on in the BIOS...
    > if you enable it...you will only see a message if the harddrive is about

    > fail

    I forgot to mention...
    if you can at least get to the C: drive in dos

    try running scandisk

    philo, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Jedi-Jonny

    Sultan Guest

    Jedi-Jonny wrote in

    > My mum has a problem with her 2 year old computer and I have tried
    > everything to fix it.
    > Can't access the hard drive at all and the A-drive seems inoperative
    > also. I can get into the Bios, but I cant make it boot from the
    > A-drive to run a first aid program, only the hard drive (as an option)
    > or the CD rom drive. I've tried a boot disk in the cd-rom and I can
    > get access to that, but still not the hard drive.
    >
    > The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
    > Capable but disabled
    > There is also a blue screen error page which runs through lots of file
    > names then gives a mounted volume error message.
    > My mother lets all her grandchildren use the PC (ages 17 down to 3) so
    > we are leaning towards a possible internet virus problem where its
    > killed the hard drive.
    > Would love to have a possible answer/solution to this other than buy a
    > new drive, which isn't a problem, but there are digital photographs my
    > mum would rather save.
    >
    > TIA.

    Try getting a copy of Knoppix, it is a linux distro that you can run right
    from the cd, it will let you view the hard drive (if it is viewable), and
    with a burner you could recover any data on the drive.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 10, 2004