Possible Bug? update_notifications.enabled

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by papito, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. papito

    papito Guest

    In FF 1.03, there is a about:config option:

    update_notifications.enabled

    Setting this to FALSE is suppose to disable the display of notifcations on
    the browser.

    It seems this notification icon is persistent and can not be disable.

    Bug or am I missing someting with FF?

    From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    update_notifications. enabled Boolean True (default): Display a notification
    in the browser when updates are available False: Opposite of the above

    Thanks
    papito, Apr 27, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. papito

    Doug G Guest

    papito wrote:
    > In FF 1.03, there is a about:config option:
    >
    > update_notifications.enabled
    >
    > Setting this to FALSE is suppose to disable the display of notifcations on
    > the browser.
    >
    > It seems this notification icon is persistent and can not be disable.
    >
    > Bug or am I missing someting with FF?
    >
    > From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    >
    > update_notifications. enabled Boolean True (default): Display a notification
    > in the browser when updates are available False: Opposite of the above
    >
    > Thanks
    >


    Firefox usually needs to be restarted after making changes in about:config,

    Where on the window are you seeing the notifcation?
    Doug G, Apr 27, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. papito

    papito Guest

    "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Bug or am I missing someting with FF?
    > >
    > > From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    > >
    > > update_notifications. enabled Boolean True (default): Display a

    notification
    > > in the browser when updates are available False: Opposite of the above
    > >

    >
    > Firefox usually needs to be restarted after making changes in

    about:config,
    >
    > Where on the window are you seeing the notifcation?


    Yeah, I tried all this. making sure all FF windows were closed and even
    rebooting the machine to make sure (not that I think I needed too, but I
    haven't rebooted in weeks.<g>).

    Anyway, the only way I can make it go away manually was to set the
    preference:

    extensions.update.count = 0

    then it went away!

    I put it back (3), restarted FF and appeared again.

    Then I went ahead and perform the "Updates Available" to update the 3
    extensions it was showing and after it was done, it went away.

    So that option "update_notifications. enabled" is not working it seems. I
    don't want FF to be checking for updates automatically to be showing any
    notification. :)

    [SOAP ON]

    This was one of the most ignoring features in IE and Windows for the matter!
    I turned it ALL off. I don't promote or encourage these borderline unethical
    programming behaviors - it should be OUTLAWED! It is what caused all these
    darn new age "I will do what I darn please on your computer" programming
    behaviors and if we don't control it - its going to get freaking worst! We
    need to trained these authors to "ASK PERMISSION FIRST" at the very least!

    [SOAP OFF]
    papito, Apr 27, 2005
    #3
  4. papito

    Big Will Guest

    papito wrote:

    [snip]

    >
    > [SOAP ON]
    >
    > This was one of the most ignoring features in IE and Windows for the matter!
    > I turned it ALL off. I don't promote or encourage these borderline unethical
    > programming behaviors - it should be OUTLAWED! It is what caused all these
    > darn new age "I will do what I darn please on your computer" programming
    > behaviors and if we don't control it - its going to get freaking worst! We
    > need to trained these authors to "ASK PERMISSION FIRST" at the very least!
    >
    > [SOAP OFF]


    Umm... You turned off Windows update? I hope you're not on NT/2000/XP,
    or if you are I hope you install the updates manually. Otherwise your
    PC could be infested with God knows what. Furthermore, what about your
    AV, doesn't it need to be updated every once in a while? But I assume
    you do this manually, too.

    Regards,

    Will
    Big Will, Apr 28, 2005
    #4
  5. papito

    Moz Champion Guest

    Big Will wrote:
    > papito wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>
    >> [SOAP ON]
    >>
    >> This was one of the most ignoring features in IE and Windows for the
    >> matter!
    >> I turned it ALL off. I don't promote or encourage these borderline
    >> unethical
    >> programming behaviors - it should be OUTLAWED! It is what caused all
    >> these
    >> darn new age "I will do what I darn please on your computer" programming
    >> behaviors and if we don't control it - its going to get freaking
    >> worst! We
    >> need to trained these authors to "ASK PERMISSION FIRST" at the very
    >> least!
    >>
    >> [SOAP OFF]

    >
    >
    > Umm... You turned off Windows update? I hope you're not on NT/2000/XP,
    > or if you are I hope you install the updates manually. Otherwise your
    > PC could be infested with God knows what. Furthermore, what about your
    > AV, doesn't it need to be updated every once in a while? But I assume
    > you do this manually, too.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Will


    ?? windows update doesnt automatically install any updates, it asks you
    first.

    Most AV programs have their own update mechanism seperate from Windows
    And they ask you first as well. They just dont simply 'update' when a
    new one comes along (unless of course you have TOLD the program to do
    specifically that).
    Moz Champion, Apr 28, 2005
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    470
  2. maxxot2005

    Possible Dialer Watch bug?

    maxxot2005, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    510
    maxxot2005
    Feb 25, 2005
  3. Jeff

    Abtrusion Protector possible bug

    Jeff, Dec 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    468
  4. janet_princess_2k
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    480
    janet_princess_2k
    Aug 9, 2006
  5. A bug catalogue for bug lovers!

    , Sep 16, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    523
Loading...

Share This Page