Possible bargain at Warehouse...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I was in my loacl The Warehouse (Pukekohe) today and nearly walked past a
    stand with heaters etc. on before I noticed a black keyboard. It was a
    logitech and the keys felt ok (I'm using it now, it's not bad..).

    There were a dozen boxes next to the keyboard sitting ther with two price
    tags, one was "Priced to Clear. $9.97" and the other was "Advertised Special
    $7.97" (They have 20% off all Logitech stuff at the moment).

    I grabbed a box as my old Compaq keyboard has been getting pretty bad
    despite a few full stripdown cleans. The last time I bought a keyboard I
    could afford was a DSE branded one for $25 that I took back two hours later.
    I figured at $8 I couldn't go wrong.

    I was rather surprised when I got home to find that the pack also contains a
    basic optical corded scroll mouse. (Both mouse and keyboard are PS/2
    connectors. Pack sticker says "Black Deluxe 250 DT PS2" with "Compatible
    with Windows Vista" printed on the pack.) I'm getting used to the keyboard,
    it doesn't feel too bad to me. The old one was looking in need of a clean
    and I'd gladly pay $8 to avoid *that* process again. <g>

    I actually went back and grabbed two more packs (I have more PCs than
    keyboards/mice). It was then that I looked at the rest of the Logotech stuff
    and saw the mouse alone selling for $35!

    So the pack for under $8 is a pretty good deal. Not sure if other branches
    will have them but if you're visiting tomorrow anyway.... I thought a
    heads-up wouldn't hurt.

    I'm pleased with my bargains for today. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I was rather surprised when I got home to find that the pack also contains a
    > basic optical corded scroll mouse. (Both mouse and keyboard are PS/2
    > connectors. Pack sticker says "Black Deluxe 250 DT PS2" with "Compatible
    > with Windows Vista" printed on the pack.) I'm getting used to the keyboard,
    > it doesn't feel too bad to me. The old one was looking in need of a clean
    > and I'd gladly pay $8 to avoid *that* process again. <g>

    I have a 20% failure rate with those keyboards - I bought about 15 of
    them a while ago and 1 was DOA, 1 failed within a week and a third just
    stopped working after a few months. The mice seem ok though.
    EMB, Jul 9, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:487477ac$:

    > I have a 20% failure rate with those keyboards - I bought about 15 of
    > them a while ago and 1 was DOA, 1 failed within a week and a third just
    > stopped working after a few months. The mice seem ok though.

    Is the mouse optical? Does the KB have media keys for audio? Sounds like
    a replacement for my old S&V

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 9, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > EMB <> wrote in news:487477ac$:
    >
    >> I have a 20% failure rate with those keyboards - I bought about 15 of
    >> them a while ago and 1 was DOA, 1 failed within a week and a third just
    >> stopped working after a few months. The mice seem ok though.
    >>

    > Is the mouse optical? Does the KB have media keys for audio? Sounds like
    > a replacement for my old S&V

    Nope - just a billy basic keyboard, but the rodent is optical.

    http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_2008_77596312
    EMB, Jul 9, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I was rather surprised when I got home to find that the pack also
    >> contains a basic optical corded scroll mouse. (Both mouse and
    >> keyboard are PS/2 connectors. Pack sticker says "Black Deluxe 250 DT
    >> PS2" with "Compatible with Windows Vista" printed on the pack.) I'm
    >> getting used to the keyboard, it doesn't feel too bad to me. The old
    >> one was looking in need of a clean and I'd gladly pay $8 to avoid
    >> *that* process again. <g>

    > I have a 20% failure rate with those keyboards - I bought about 15 of
    > them a while ago and 1 was DOA, 1 failed within a week and a third
    > just stopped working after a few months. The mice seem ok though.

    Actually I'm happy with my mouse*, I bought it for the keyboard. Probably a
    good thing that I bought a couple extra sets with a failure rate like that..

    *Although spare mice is always handy. Last time I bought basic mice it cost
    me ~$100 for a 'system builder's' box of 5 x MS opticals USB/PS/2.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> EMB <> wrote in news:487477ac$:
    >>
    >>> I have a 20% failure rate with those keyboards - I bought about 15
    >>> of them a while ago and 1 was DOA, 1 failed within a week and a
    >>> third just stopped working after a few months. The mice seem ok
    >>> though.

    >> Is the mouse optical? Does the KB have media keys for audio? Sounds like
    >> a replacement for my old S&V
    >>

    > Nope - just a billy basic keyboard, but the rodent is optical.
    >
    > http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_2008_77596312

    That's the set. Good deal at $8 if your local branch of The Warehouse happen
    to have some.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > *Although spare mice is always handy. Last time I bought basic mice it cost
    > me ~$100 for a 'system builder's' box of 5 x MS opticals USB/PS/2.

    I got 5 NIB IBM USB optical mouses for the princely sum of $10 last week.
    EMB, Jul 9, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> *Although spare mice is always handy. Last time I bought basic mice
    >> it cost me ~$100 for a 'system builder's' box of 5 x MS opticals
    >> USB/PS/2.

    > I got 5 NIB IBM USB optical mouses for the princely sum of $10 last
    > week.

    Nice!

    However, I don't travel in the same circles as you so rarely find such good
    scores. :-\
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2008
  9. In article <487484f5$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:

    >>> Is the mouse optical? Does the KB have media keys for audio? Sounds like
    >>> a replacement for my old S&V
    >>>

    >> Nope - just a billy basic keyboard, but the rodent is optical.
    >>
    >> http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_2008_77596312

    >That's the set. Good deal at $8 if your local branch of The Warehouse happen
    >to have some.

    I'm fairly sure I've seen this pack elsewhere ... and I remember $5. Might
    pay to check your local PC shop as well ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 10, 2008