Possibility to add a zip-file to a new zip-file with "add to zip" (right-click) ??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by erikkie@casema.nl, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello

    does anyone know how I can get the option "add to zip" to the
    right-click-menu when right-clicking on a zip-file to add it to a new
    zip-file
    Winzip seems to surpress this entry when right-clicking on a file that
    is already a zip-file (for obvious reasons)

    The reason for it - because what I want may sound pretty strange - it
    is not to compress the file even more (that probably won't be possible)

    The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
    (adding comments is a feature in winzip)
    The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
    is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
    machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
    as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)

    Anyone?

    Thanks!!
    Erik

    , Jun 24, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
    > (adding comments is a feature in winzip)
    > The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
    > is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
    > machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
    > as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)

    You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
    new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
    think it will digest a comment?

    Walter Mautner, Jun 24, 2006

  3. Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
    > > (adding comments is a feature in winzip)
    > > The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
    > > is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
    > > machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
    > > as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)
    > >

    > You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
    > new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
    > think it will digest a comment?

    Hi Walter

    thanks for your reply
    No, I do not think this. This IS actually the reason for zipping it a
    second time. The second zip-file will hold the comment, not the first
    (being the one inside the second)

    In other words: The reason for zipping it a second time is just to
    store it with a comment together with other backup-files (to be able to
    distinguish the backups from one another).
    When I want to put it back in the machine, I unpack it so the orig.
    zip-file appears (without a comment). This zip-file will be fed to the
    machine

    Erik

    , Jun 25, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:

    >> You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
    >> new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
    >> think it will digest a comment?
    >>

    > Hi Walter
    >
    > thanks for your reply
    > No, I do not think this. This IS actually the reason for zipping it a
    > second time. The second zip-file will hold the comment, not the first
    > (being the one inside the second)

    Ah, I misunderstood your "adding" the 2nd zip file ...

    > In other words: The reason for zipping it a second time is just to
    > store it with a comment together with other backup-files (to be able to
    > distinguish the backups from one another).
    > When I want to put it back in the machine, I unpack it so the orig.
    > zip-file appears (without a comment). This zip-file will be fed to the
    > machine

    Then the "add to zip ..." extension would not do what you want. I guess
    using a cmd to rename the extension, then using winzip to again zip it with
    a comment (also explaining how to rename back) should do the trick.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > does anyone know how I can get the option "add to zip" to the
    > right-click-menu when right-clicking on a zip-file to add it to a new
    > zip-file

    Depends on the packing app. you have installed.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 26, 2006