    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Nina O'Flynn Guest

    Should the NOSPAM go before or after the @ ?

    Nina O'Flynn, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Nina O'Flynn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Should the NOSPAM go before or after the @ ?

    use something more random...

    Craig Sutton, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Should the NOSPAM go before or after the @ ?

    personally i dont fudge my email address, simply because it IS possible
    to extract (en-mass) valad email addresses from fudged ones.

    it will take not-so-simple pattern matching but given a large enough
    database of fudges in use you can extract valad or semi valad (spammers
    dont really care - they dont pay for bandwidth) email addresses.

    what i have done is make up a fake email and put a fudge on that -
    paranoid, yes mabye.

    Steven H

    Steven H, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    Ralph Fox Guest

    "Address Munging FAQ" -- http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html

    | * Be creative with your mung, and change it often as well.
    | These steps will prevent harvesters from picking up on
    | patterns, and possibly changing their software to defeat them.
    | * If you decide to add a "spamblock" to your existing address,
    | put it on the right-hand side of the @ sign.

    BTW, I do suggest using something less common than "NOSPAM".
    If I were (hypothetically speaking) sufficiently unethical
    to write as address harvesting program for spammers, I would
    make it automatically pick up on "NOSPAM" and strip it from
    the address.

    If you mung your address then also add ".invalid" to the
    end of it. Do NOT make the ".invalid" the only alteration
    to your address.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Should the NOSPAM go before or after the @ ?

    I can't see why a spam bot program couldn't be created to detect such a lame
    and common alteration as that.
    Now then "nospaming" isn't a bad idea. It doesn't take much imagination to
    have something that's almost fool proof.
    A second address for newsgroups etc is a good idea, different from your more
    private address.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Who is this Guest

    In article <35OTa.90736$>,
    "Daniel Farley" <> wrote:

    > hmm, so if i wasnt a spam free adress i should just use
    > or whatevea.. ;-) they the spam havirsters stirp the
    > nospam. and people that just hit email me. get thorugh.
    >
    > expent there's probily some spam haversiters that dont strip the no spam.
    >

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:00:37 +1200, in article
    > > <>, Nina O'Flynn wrote:

    instead of
    you could try

    Who is this, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Nina O'Flynn Guest

    Re: Re: Position of NOSPAM?

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:44:27 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:

    Right, now I sit back and wait for confusion to reign. Many friends are muddled
    about this and as they don't get spam themselves wonder why I am giving them
    spurious addresses.

    Time will tell

    Thanks to all who wrote to me.
    Nina
    33 years an expatriate and trying to settle in NZ
    Please delete NOSPAM from my address. This is a vital message to prevent junk mail from creeping back to my system.

    Nina O'Flynn, Jul 24, 2003
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    lily Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:44:27 +1200, Who is this wrote:

    > instead of
    > you could try

    Are you clever enough to tell us what a "domanin" is ?
    <smirk>

    lily, Jul 24, 2003
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Re: Re: Position of NOSPAM?

    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:44:27 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    >

    > Right, now I sit back and wait for confusion to reign. Many friends are

    muddled
    > about this and as they don't get spam themselves wonder why I am giving

    them
    > spurious addresses.
    >
    > Time will tell
    >
    > Thanks to all who wrote to me.
    > Nina

    Not surprising your friends are muddled. If you can't even trust them with
    your proper email address, then you can't trust anyone about anything.
    Don't have friends which are also spammers. If someone emails you, they're
    hardly going to worry about any silly spam blocking tricks in their email
    address.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 25, 2003
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>, lily <>
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:44:27 +1200, Who is this wrote:
    >
    > > instead of
    > > you could try

    > Are you clever enough to tell us what a "domanin" is ?
    > <smirk>

    Yes, a lack of caffine at a critical time !

    Who is this, Jul 25, 2003
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:58:27 +1200, in article
    <35OTa.90736$>, Daniel Farley wrote:

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...

    --snip--
    > > If I were (hypothetically speaking) sufficiently unethical
    > > to write as address harvesting program for spammers, I would
    > > make it automatically pick up on "NOSPAM" and strip it from
    > > the address.

    --snip--

    > hmm, so if i wasnt a spam free adress i should just use
    > or whatevea.. ;-) they the spam havirsters stirp the
    > nospam. and people that just hit email me. get thorugh.
    >
    > expent there's probily some spam haversiters that dont strip the no spam.

    If you put the "nospam" _after_ the "@", I would (hypothetically
    speaking) just check which domain (with or without the "nospam")
    was a valid email domain.

    If you put the "nospam" _before_ the "@", then I would (hypothetically
    speaking) send in both versions of the email address (with _and_
    without the "nospam") and maybe make US$20 (*).

    (*) I received a spam 6 days ago offering me US$10 for each
    email address that I collect. I have no intention of
    following it up, but I'm sure some people would.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Jul 26, 2003
  13. On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:18:00 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > If you put the "nospam" _after_ the "@", I would (hypothetically
    > speaking) just check which domain (with or without the "nospam")
    > was a valid email domain.

    Most spam scrapers know the common variants like nospam or spam and remove
    them automatically.

    Scrapers have a great deal more difficulty with plussed addresses or
    things like

    Fronm:

    and a text line saying "remove your knickers to reply"

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 26, 2003