    Both CPU have same FSB and same cache size.

    In my terms it should act as if 3 CPU was installed.
    will this work ? either with windows XP 64 or 32

    =?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?=, Nov 22, 2005

  2. No, Windows only supports symmetric processors - all processors must be the
    same model.
    This makes processor scheduling easy - the OS doesn't have to work out which
    processor is better for any particular task

    Dominic Payer, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Thanks you for your quick reply, I have also seen that windows only support
    symmetric processors.
    I have previous tryed both Pentium Pro and Celoron in dual configs - and in
    practice it turn out they wasen't as critical as said about "to be from same
    batch".

    Are you shure it REQUIRES "symmetric processors" and not just "symmetric
    core"
    In my "posible futra" set-up all cores would be the same, and therefore the
    OS shoulden't mind witch to use.

    I belive they would work fysically, but wounder how windows would see them.
    I still might be wrong, any other comments ?

    =?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?=, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Symmetric processors is the requirement for Windows, not "symmetric core".

    Your system may work with asymmetric processors, but no hardware or software
    manufacturer would assist if you had problems with a system configuration
    that Microsoft does not support.

    It is unlikely that anyone in the newsgroups would have experience of
    asymmetric processors with Windows, so you should expect no help if you had
    problems.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 22, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?=

    Rob Stow Guest

    Dominic Payer wrote:
    > Symmetric processors is the requirement for Windows, not "symmetric core".
    >
    > Your system may work with asymmetric processors, but no hardware or software
    > manufacturer would assist if you had problems with a system configuration
    > that Microsoft does not support.
    >
    > It is unlikely that anyone in the newsgroups would have experience of
    > asymmetric processors with Windows, so you should expect no help if you had
    > problems.

    I did an experiment on exactly this with the very first Opty 270
    I got my hands on.

    On a Tyan S2895 motherboard with an Opteron 246 in Socket 0 and
    an Opteron 270 in the other socket, the systems POSTed and W2K
    and Solaris 10 would boot up and run just fine, but not XP-32 or
    XP-64. However, even with W2K and Solaris only one core on the
    Opty 270 was used.

    With the chips switched so that the Opty 270 was in Socket 0 the
    system would not even POST.

    Rob Stow, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Even if it did work (which I doubt), it would be a bad idea. Windows really
    doesn't know how to handle and balance load across asymmetrical processors,
    plus I'd serious doubt the overall system stability.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 22, 2005
  7. It sounds like you are determined to try it no matter our responses, so go
    for it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Thanks for all your replys - I was asking since someone (Rob Stow) might
    already have tryed this.
    In the old days it was "imposible" to run dual celeron - even though someone
    did tryed it and got it working, including me.
    Then I also did learn that asymmetric processors would not run - mainly if
    they had different requirements for FSB or muliplyer -
    since the 2 CPU's I have mentioned have same HW specifications, and same
    size on-die cache (per core) I see no reasoon why it shoulden't work.

    Anyway I am greatful for your time and answers, and I will likely not try it
    - instead I will settle with the single dual core CPU.
    I was hoping for a "positive #1. hand experince answer", witch doesen't seam
    to be pressent at now :D

    best

    =?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?=, Nov 22, 2005