    ports, and only one of them is my browser.

    TIA
    Rich
    Rich, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Rich

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Rich said:

    > How many ports should be open when I am online? My firewall shows 9 open
    > ports, and only one of them is my browser.
    >
    > TIA
    > Rich

    That depends on how many programs/viruses/trojans are accessing the net when you
    go online.

    Say which ports are open, and maybe someone can tell what is the most likeliest
    reason for a port being open.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Rich

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Go here, follow the "continue," etc. links. This site is free and will
    test your ports.
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    HTH

    In news:tdykt9vwvvvr$.zpks1ncxu4zc$,
    Rich <> typed:

    --
    Juan
    R.B.
    Juan Pérez, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Rich

    TRADESMAN Guest

    Very interesting reading. Thanks for the site info.

    TRADESMAN, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Rich

    philo Guest

    Juan Pérez wrote:
    > Go here, follow the "continue," etc. links. This site is free and will
    > test your ports.
    > https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    >
    > HTH

    I tried that link on several machines running different operating
    systems... Linux , BSD, OS/2 , Win98 & XP

    Somehow the results were *identical* ...so I'm not sure if they are
    actually running any type of valid test.
    philo, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Rich

    TRADESMAN Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Juan Pérez wrote:
    >> Go here, follow the "continue," etc. links. This site is free and
    >> will test your ports.
    >> https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > I tried that link on several machines running different operating
    > systems... Linux , BSD, OS/2 , Win98 & XP
    >
    > Somehow the results were *identical* ...so I'm not sure if they are
    > actually running any type of valid test.

    It gave me a complete clean bill of health. Now you've got me reaching for
    the "calm down pills"!
    TRADESMAN, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Rich

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:00:06 -0000, TRADESMAN wrote:

    >philo wrote:
    >> Juan Pérez wrote:
    >>> Go here, follow the "continue," etc. links. This site is free and
    >>> will test your ports.
    >>> https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    <snip>

    >> I tried that link on several machines running different operating
    >> systems... Linux , BSD, OS/2 , Win98 & XP
    >>
    >> Somehow the results were *identical* ...so I'm not sure if they are
    >> actually running any type of valid test.

    >It gave me a complete clean bill of health. Now you've got me reaching for
    >the "calm down pills"!

    Don't use just 1 test. Ask in the comp.security.firewalls group or
    www.google.com for dozens of test sites.

    Me
    why?, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:09:10 GMT, Juan Pérez wrote:

    > Go here, follow the "continue," etc. links. This site is free and will
    > test your ports.
    > https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > In news:tdykt9vwvvvr$.zpks1ncxu4zc$,
    > Rich <> typed:
    >> How many ports should be open when I am online? My firewall shows 9
    >> open ports, and only one of them is my browser.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Rich

    > --
    > Juan
    > R.B.

    Thanks.
    Rich, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Rich

    philo Guest

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:00:06 -0000, TRADESMAN wrote:
    >

    > >philo wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> I tried that link on several machines running different operating
    > >> systems... Linux , BSD, OS/2 , Win98 & XP
    > >>
    > >> Somehow the results were *identical* ...so I'm not sure if they are
    > >> actually running any type of valid test.

    > >It gave me a complete clean bill of health. Now you've got me reaching

    for
    > >the "calm down pills"!

    You may be Ok...see below:

    > Don't use just 1 test. Ask in the comp.security.firewalls group or
    > www.google.com for dozens of test sites.
    >
    > Me

    Hmm...this is getting interesting as I now tried another security check from
    a different test site
    and am still getting the same results...

    Even though I have several machines here with different OS's on them...the
    one thing in common is that they are all on the same router so *maybe* the
    open ports are merely a fiunction of what my
    router is allowing. Since I just installed the router yesterday...I'll have
    to see if there is anything I can do to configure it.
    philo, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Rich

    philo Guest

    > Even though I have several machines here with different OS's on them...the
    > one thing in common is that they are all on the same router so *maybe* the
    > open ports are merely a fiunction of what my
    > router is allowing. Since I just installed the router yesterday...I'll

    have
    > to see if there is anything I can do to configure it.

    Yep...I got the same results with all OS's as the tests were merely seeing
    what
    the router was allowing...I had not changed it from the factory defaults...
    which I will now change!
    philo, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Rich

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:02:23 -0600, philo wrote:

    >> Even though I have several machines here with different OS's on them...the
    >> one thing in common is that they are all on the same router so *maybe* the
    >> open ports are merely a fiunction of what my
    >> router is allowing. Since I just installed the router yesterday...I'll

    >have
    >> to see if there is anything I can do to configure it.
    >>

    >Yep...I got the same results with all OS's as the tests were merely seeing
    >what
    >the router was allowing...I had not changed it from the factory defaults...
    >which I will now change!

    Well at least that's sorted. If you don't mind what type of router?

    I have a Netgear RT314, quite old now and not easy to add filters
    besides the list only goes to 6. I don't remember getting the same
    results each time (PC) , will need to check again for interest.

    Different tests on different browsers did have different reports,
    depending on what was enabled.

    Now you have got me thinking about what the previous tests I did were
    seeing. Mind you I changed to a new firewall so maybe it's time again to
    double check everything, although the blocks (ads/popups/traffic) logged
    all appear fine.

    Just built a Fedora box yesterday a good test as it has the FW enabled
    to medium.

    Me
    why?, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Rich

    TRADESMAN Guest

    philo wrote:
    >> Even though I have several machines here with different OS's on
    >> them...the one thing in common is that they are all on the same
    >> router so *maybe* the open ports are merely a fiunction of what my
    >> router is allowing. Since I just installed the router
    >> yesterday...I'll have to see if there is anything I can do to
    >> configure it.
    >>

    > Yep...I got the same results with all OS's as the tests were merely
    > seeing what
    > the router was allowing...I had not changed it from the factory
    > defaults... which I will now change!

    I'm just going to wrap everything in Aluminum foil. My need is greater than
    the Turkeys'.
    TRADESMAN, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Rich

    philo Guest

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:02:23 -0600, philo wrote:
    >

    > >> Even though I have several machines here with different OS's on

    them...the
    > >> one thing in common is that they are all on the same router so *maybe*

    the
    > >> open ports are merely a fiunction of what my
    > >> router is allowing. Since I just installed the router yesterday...I'll

    > >have
    > >> to see if there is anything I can do to configure it.
    > >>

    > >Yep...I got the same results with all OS's as the tests were merely

    seeing
    > >what
    > >the router was allowing...I had not changed it from the factory

    defaults...
    > >which I will now change!
    > >

    > Well at least that's sorted. If you don't mind what type of router?

    I picked up a D-Link DI-604
    and (at least with my XP installation) I'm using Zone Alarm (free version)

    Zone Alarm shows no incomming activity and no outgoing other that what I;ve
    approved...so the router seems to be working...
    and when I went to check the configuration...apparantly by default...
    most of the stuff is already turned off.

    Those test site show that I have FTP , Telnet and Webserver ports open...
    I diabled Telent completely but the test site still shows the port as
    enabled...
    So now I don't really know what to think.
    philo, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Rich

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:46:12 -0600, philo wrote:

    >them...the

    >the
    >> >have
    >> >>

    >> >Yep...I got the same results with all OS's as the tests were merely

    >seeing
    >> >what
    >> >the router was allowing...I had not changed it from the factory

    >defaults...
    >> >which I will now change!
    >> >

    >> Well at least that's sorted. If you don't mind what type of router?
    >>

    >I picked up a D-Link DI-604
    >and (at least with my XP installation) I'm using Zone Alarm (free version)

    Thanks.

    >Zone Alarm shows no incomming activity and no outgoing other that what I;ve
    >approved...so the router seems to be working...
    >and when I went to check the configuration...apparantly by default...
    >most of the stuff is already turned off.

    I am doing it the other way around, minimum on the router and Agnitum
    Outpost on block high, manually adding allow rules. But for some reason
    I would prefer the hardware to block first and minimum allowed to hit
    PC, don't know why it just seems proper.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Rich

    philo Guest

    <snipped>

    > >Zone Alarm shows no incomming activity and no outgoing other that what

    I;ve
    > >approved...so the router seems to be working...
    > >and when I went to check the configuration...apparantly by default...
    > >most of the stuff is already turned off.

    > I am doing it the other way around, minimum on the router and Agnitum
    > Outpost on block high, manually adding allow rules. But for some reason
    > I would prefer the hardware to block first and minimum allowed to hit
    > PC, don't know why it just seems proper.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    At this point I am now leaning toward thinking those security tests are not
    really any good.

    What I did was use my dialup connection instead of the DSL & router...
    then I turned off my firewall completely and I got a perfect security
    rating!

    This does not seem to add up .
    philo, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Rich

    Brian H¹© Guest

    philo said:

    > <snipped>
    >>
    >>> Zone Alarm shows no incomming activity and no outgoing other that what I;ve
    >>> approved...so the router seems to be working...
    >>> and when I went to check the configuration...apparantly by default...
    >>> most of the stuff is already turned off.

    >> I am doing it the other way around, minimum on the router and Agnitum
    >> Outpost on block high, manually adding allow rules. But for some reason
    >> I would prefer the hardware to block first and minimum allowed to hit
    >> PC, don't know why it just seems proper.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    > At this point I am now leaning toward thinking those security tests are not
    > really any good.
    >
    > What I did was use my dialup connection instead of the DSL & router...
    > then I turned off my firewall completely and I got a perfect security
    > rating!

    Why on earth do you turn off your firewall when you are connected to the
    internet?
    The whole point of having a firewall is to protect your system when you are
    connected to the net.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003
  17. Rich

    philo Guest

    > Why on earth do you turn off your firewall when you are connected to the
    > internet?

    I *don't* ...I just did it for the few minutes when I ran the test...
    The reason I think the security test is flawed was because it said my
    security
    was better with the firewall off...
    which does not make the slightest bit of sense to me!
    philo, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Rich

    Brian H¹© Guest

    philo said:

    >> Why on earth do you turn off your firewall when you are connected to the
    >> internet?

    > I *don't* ...I just did it for the few minutes when I ran the test...
    > The reason I think the security test is flawed was because it said my
    > security
    > was better with the firewall off...
    > which does not make the slightest bit of sense to me!

    It only takes a few minutes of unprotected se... surfing to catch with something
    nasty.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Rich

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > philo said:
    >
    >>> Why on earth do you turn off your firewall when you are connected to the
    >>> internet?

    >> I *don't* ...I just did it for the few minutes when I ran the test...
    >> The reason I think the security test is flawed was because it said my
    >> security
    >> was better with the firewall off...
    >> which does not make the slightest bit of sense to me!

    > It only takes a few minutes of unprotected se... surfing to catch with
    > something nasty.

    :-S drop the "with"
    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003
  20. Rich

    M Mullen Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:09:10 GMT, "Juan P?rez" <juan234@.5678.spaz.spa> wrote:

    |> Go here, follow the "continue," etc. links. This site is free and will
    |> test your ports.
    |> https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    Thanks for the site, gave me a warm fuzzy :)

    Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet ?
    solicited or otherwise ? was received from your system as a result of our
    security probing tests.

    First try :)
    --
    ,,