    Thanks in advance.
    --
    leonard

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=, May 29, 2006

  2. I keep pretty much everything closed. The only reason you'd want to have
    inbound connectivity opened up is for hosting something like a web or ftp
    site.

    What exceptions are you currently allowing? Are you using any sort of
    hardware firewall/nat router device for your internet connectivity?

    --
    Mostly Gizzards

    A+ Network+ MCSA

    Mostly Gizzards, May 29, 2006

  3. netgear wpn311..pci adapter...
    also windows messenger thats the only two i have excepted
    --
    leonard

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=, May 29, 2006
  4. Mostly Gizzards:
    Finish to the last post. I use a pci adapter for connectivity. No router and
    no cable or dial up. Just the adapter. I feed from a router signal in the
    area. I did have FTP but I'm not using it at this time. I used it for
    up-dating web pages for a friend on the coast but since they are done, I've
    not used it for a while. That one is closed right now.
    Thanks..What else?

    --
    leonard

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=, May 29, 2006
  5. Yeah, you'll build a few exceptions for programs that you commonly use to
    communicate with other internet hosts. Thats normal and looks good. I've
    had good luck using a beta program that Microsoft offers called Defender.
    It gives you some extra protection, and many programs like Windows Messenger
    will automatically be allowed because Defender recognizes them as valid,safe
    programs.

    http://www.microsoft.com/defender for the program, if you'd like to try it
    out.
    --
    Mostly Gizzards

    A+ Network+ MCSA

    Mostly Gizzards, May 29, 2006
  6. To mostly Gizzard: Thanks for the input, i already have defender, i also have
    avast, hi-jack this. Malicious software removal tool, Steve Gibsons "stuff"
    and a host of other security..but was wondering mostly about closed and open
    ports, sounds like you've answered my question..and really appriciate your
    help..good luck..
    and thanks again.
    --
    leonard