    together, or what programmes are using these ports?

    Regards,

    Chris B.

    methanol, Oct 22, 2004

  2. methanol

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <cla2r2$aor$>, says...
    > When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I have a firewall
    > blocking all lower ports but I was wondering how I could close them all
    > together, or what programmes are using these ports?

    You can use a program called Active Ports to see what programs are using
    what ports.. Search Google for "Active Ports". Should be available
    from many sources...

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Oct 22, 2004

  3. methanol

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:08:27 +0930, "methanol" <>
    wrote:

    >When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I have a firewall
    >blocking all lower ports but I was wondering how I could close them all
    >together, or what programmes are using these ports?

    Windows file and printer sharing.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 22, 2004
  4. >When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I have a firewall
    >blocking all lower ports but I was wondering how I could close them all
    >together, or what programmes are using these ports?

    Port 445 is the "messenger" service in NT, W2K and XP. It is not needed and is
    pretty easy to disable without any ill effects. Port 135 is RPC/DCOM and is
    harder to disable. Depending on what services you have running, you may not be
    able to close it.

    Gibson Research has a couple of free utilities to safely disable these services.
    http://www.grc.com/dcom/ (135)
    http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm (445)

    Or you can disable them yourself by changing the appropriate settings in
    "Services."
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    \Crash\ Dummy, Oct 22, 2004
  5. methanol

    KHaled Guest

    "methanol" <> wrote in

    > When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I
    > have a firewall blocking all lower ports but I was
    > wondering how I could close them all together, or what
    > programmes are using these ports?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Chris B.

    I have a program (SafeXP) which "hardens" my win2k, and as
    part of this it shuts down port 445. However, when I tried
    to do a windows update I found that there was a problem with
    network connectivity, so backtracking I re-enabled port 445,
    and all went well. So, for some reason windows update needs
    this port, which is fine, now I open/shut the port as I need.
    No other program seems to complain about this.

    KHaled, Oct 25, 2004
  6. >I have a program (SafeXP) which "hardens" my win2k, and as
    >part of this it shuts down port 445. However, when I tried
    >to do a windows update I found that there was a problem with
    >network connectivity, so backtracking I re-enabled port 445,
    >and all went well. So, for some reason windows update needs
    >this port, which is fine, now I open/shut the port as I need.
    >No other program seems to complain about this.

    I have port 445 closed and use Windows Update regularly. I closed my port by
    disabling the "messenger" service, not with a utility. I suspect that "SafeXP"
    does more than close the port.

    \Crash\ Dummy, Oct 25, 2004
  7. methanol

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns958DAB4D3EDF9khaledlocalhost@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > "methanol" <> wrote in
    >
    > > When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I
    > > have a firewall blocking all lower ports but I was
    > > wondering how I could close them all together, or what
    > > programmes are using these ports?
    > >

    > I have a program (SafeXP) which "hardens" my win2k, and as
    > part of this it shuts down port 445. However, when I tried
    > to do a windows update I found that there was a problem with
    > network connectivity, so backtracking I re-enabled port 445,
    > and all went well. So, for some reason windows update needs
    > this port, which is fine, now I open/shut the port as I need.
    > No other program seems to complain about this.

    Actually, you can block 445 at the border and Windows Update runs fine.
    I have blocked 135~139 and 445 with no ill effects on any of the
    computers behind the routers/firewalls.

    I suspect that your "hardening" breaks Windows Update.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Oct 25, 2004
  8. methanol

    Samwise

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    RE Question & Answer:

    > Q:
    > > When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I
    > > have a firewall blocking all lower ports but I was
    > > wondering how I could close them all together, or what
    > > programmes are using these ports?
    > >

    > I have a program (SafeXP) which "hardens" my win2k, and as
    > part of this it shuts down port 445. However, when I tried
    > to do a windows update I found that there was a problem with
    > network connectivity, so backtracking I re-enabled port 445,
    > and all went well. So, for some reason windows update needs
    > this port, which is fine, now I open/shut the port as I need.
    > No other program seems to complain about this.

    A:
    Actually, you can block 445 at the border and Windows Update runs fine.
    I have blocked 135~139 and 445 with no ill effects on any of the
    computers behind the routers/firewalls.

    I suspect that your "hardening" breaks Windows Update.

    soooo...
    How do I Block port 445, disabling the messenger service, but not the utility? What exactly is meant by "the utility" vs. "the messenger service"? Can anyone explain the difference? Should I use Active Ports to accomplish this or should I use try to do it using WinXP commands somehow.

    I am not networked (just a single host) with an internet connection. I do not file share, I have a single printer, and X number user accounts (one admin-type)--if any of this matters. (Many Thanks!)

    Samwise, Jan 6, 2008