Portrait Society

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Nov 19, 2010

  2. philo

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:10 -0600, philo wrote:

    > http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >
    > Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    > and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of art/photography
    >
    > this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >
    > a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    Must have been fun, however not to drop any name, but Boyd Elder, and
    Eugene Bender are my neighbors. :)
    http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2007/11/boyd-elder-artist-of-eagles.html
    http://eugenebinder.com/
    :)
    --
    11/19/2010 1:05:17 PM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo38, Nov 19, 2010

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 11/19/2010 01:10 PM, Old Gringo38 wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:10 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >>
    >> Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    >> and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of art/photography
    >>
    >> this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >>
    >> a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    > Must have been fun, however not to drop any name, but Boyd Elder, and
    > Eugene Bender are my neighbors. :)
    > http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2007/11/boyd-elder-artist-of-eagles.html
    > http://eugenebinder.com/
    > :)

    Excellent

    as it turned out this Bernard Gilardi
    only lived about 5 miles from me...
    but he was not "discovered" until after his death

    philo, Nov 19, 2010
  4. philo

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:39:57 -0600, philo wrote:

    > On 11/19/2010 01:10 PM, Old Gringo38 wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:10 -0600, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >>>
    >>> Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    >>> and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of art/photography
    >>>
    >>> this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >>>
    >>> a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    >> Must have been fun, however not to drop any name, but Boyd Elder, and
    >> Eugene Bender are my neighbors. :)
    >> http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2007/11/boyd-elder-artist-of-eagles.html
    >> http://eugenebinder.com/
    >> :)

    > Excellent
    >
    > as it turned out this Bernard Gilardi
    > only lived about 5 miles from me...
    > but he was not "discovered" until after his death

    funny how that happens to some.
    --
    11/19/2010 3:15:17 PM CST

    Old Gringo38, Nov 19, 2010
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    On 11/19/2010 03:15 PM, Old Gringo38 wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:39:57 -0600, philo wrote:

    >>> Must have been fun, however not to drop any name, but Boyd Elder, and
    >>> Eugene Bender are my neighbors. :)
    >>> http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2007/11/boyd-elder-artist-of-eagles.html
    >>> http://eugenebinder.com/
    >>> :)

    >> Excellent
    >>
    >> as it turned out this Bernard Gilardi
    >> only lived about 5 miles from me...
    >> but he was not "discovered" until after his death

    > funny how that happens to some.

    I think it may be the find of the century

    philo, Nov 19, 2010
  6. philo

    dadiOH Guest

    philo wrote:
    > http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >

    > Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    > and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of
    > art/photography
    > this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >
    > a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    Ummm...the two Lincolns? To make a tryptic with your Lincoln in Dali vision
    :)

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 20, 2010
  7. philo

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:10 -0600, philo wrote:

    > http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >

    > Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    > and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of art/photography
    >
    > this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >
    > a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    All I gotta say is, art is defined by the person viewing it.
    Like da man once said, "I may not know how to define it, but I know it when
    I see it".

    A cousin of mine has a very talented and gifted daughter who does fantastic
    art work that would make this stuff seem like 2nd grade fingerpainting.

    richard, Nov 21, 2010
  8. philo

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:10:56 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:10 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >>
    >> Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    >> and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of art/photography
    >>
    >> this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >>
    >> a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    > Must have been fun, however not to drop any name, but Boyd Elder, and
    > Eugene Bender are my neighbors. :)
    > http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2007/11/boyd-elder-artist-of-eagles.html
    > http://eugenebinder.com/
    > :)

    So that's where you live is it. When I was with CRE on their Pilgrim's
    Pride dedicated fleet I got into that area a few times.

    richard, Nov 21, 2010
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    On 11/20/2010 06:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >> http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >>

    >> Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    >> and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of
    >> art/photography
    >> this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >>
    >> a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    > Ummm...the two Lincolns? To make a tryptic with your Lincoln in Dali vision
    > :)

    The Lincolns sold soon after she opened to doors.
    I very well might have purchased one, but they were already taken

    I wanted the one called "half-turkey"

    My wife wanted the one called "benign growth"

    so we ended up getting the one she wanted...
    but a few days later we talked if over and decided to get the other one too.

    Though we bought the art strictly because we liked it...
    we both realized that it was also a good investment.

    The gallery sold about 35 pieces in the first three weeks...
    not only does that *not* happen in Milwaukee, it does not happen anywhere.

    Though they were all priced between $800 and $2600 ,
    if they sold that fast...we figured they were under-priced.

    fFWIW: We've "re-named" "half-turkey" to

    "do the funky chicken"!

    philo, Nov 21, 2010
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    On 11/21/2010 01:56 AM, richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:10 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> http://portraitsocietyexhibitions.wordpress.com/bernard-gilardi-essay/
    >>

    >> Even though my wife is an artist and I'm a photographer
    >> and our walls are literally filled with over 150 pieces of art/photography
    >>
    >> this show was so amazing we had to buy two of the paintings
    >>
    >> a big prize to anyone who can guess the two we bought

    > All I gotta say is, art is defined by the person viewing it.
    > Like da man once said, "I may not know how to define it, but I know it when
    > I see it".
    >
    > A cousin of mine has a very talented and gifted daughter who does fantastic
    > art work that would make this stuff seem like 2nd grade fingerpainting.

    I don't believe that for one second,
    you will need to substantiate what you've just said
    by posting at least one example

    philo, Nov 21, 2010
  11. philo

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:27:52 -0600, philo wrote:

    > As to Grandma Moses, I never cared for her stuff at all... but pleny of
    > folks obviously love her work.

    Just checked out a few of her works. Except for his matchstick figures, I
    find them reminiscent of the efforts of L.S. Lowry.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

    Aardvark, Nov 21, 2010
  12. philo

    philo Guest

    On 11/21/2010 10:17 AM, The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > philo mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> All I gotta say is, art is defined by the person viewing it.
    >>> Like da man once said, "I may not know how to define it, but I know it when
    >>> I see it".
    >>>
    >>> A cousin of mine has a very talented and gifted daughter who does fantastic
    >>> art work that would make this stuff seem like 2nd grade fingerpainting.

    >> I don't believe that for one second,
    >> you will need to substantiate what you've just said
    >> by posting at least one example

    > St00pid never got out of second grade, which is why
    > he's so familiar with second grade fingerpainting.

    Well

    he's going to have to show me what his cousin can do
    before I'll beleive him

    philo, Nov 21, 2010
  13. philo

    philo Guest

    On 11/21/2010 10:37 AM, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:27:52 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> As to Grandma Moses, I never cared for her stuff at all... but pleny of
    >> folks obviously love her work.

    > Just checked out a few of her works. Except for his matchstick figures, I
    > find them reminiscent of the efforts of L.S. Lowry.

    It's not at all my kind of work...
    but I think it's great that she picked up her career late in life.

    It's good to be older and still look forward to things...
    rather than to look back to your best years

    philo, Nov 21, 2010