    Thanks

    The Bushman

    , Sep 15, 2006

  2. Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I am new to photography but I am interested in getting into portraits
    > of children. Is there any particular type of digital camera that would
    > be best for that type of photography. I would like to do indoor as
    > well as outdoor pictures, both posed and candid.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Visit a good portrait photography studio, or just one of those places in
    a shopping mall and take a look at the photography gear they use. You
    will quickly realize that the equipment needed for this type of
    photography extends beyond just a camera. Any of the major brands of
    digital SLRs should be fine, but you need a good quality lens and what's
    also important is good quality lighting. I would not ever attempt to do
    professional portraiture work with a point and shoot camera or even a
    dSLR and not have good lighting to go with the camera.

    If you stop by a bookstore or your public library, or just google,
    you'll find tons of information on this subject.

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    You can shoot good portraits with just about any camera, but a dSLR
    would be best - point and shoots have lots of shortcomings, many of
    which can be overcome if you know what you are doing -- but it would be
    pretty painful to learn on one.

    The very best thing you can do for yourself is to first learn your
    camera. Get off of the pre-programmed modes and learn good basic
    photography.

    Next, lighting is the most important. I would not recommend trying to
    emulate or duplicate what you see at kiddie portrait studios in the
    malls. Some of the worst photography on the planet comes from them.

    Use good ol' regular daylight. That is what all this expensive
    lighting equipment is trying to emulate anyway. Your first accessory
    should be a large reflector (big white poster board). Between that and
    a window you will not only learn a lot about light, you will have some
    absolutely delicious portraits on hand too.

    After that, a shoe mounted flash - preferably one designed for your
    camera (note: I said "one" - not three or four like they try to sell
    you). You will want to practice using it OFF of the camera. This will
    make sense when you start looking at them.

    A subset of this is to avoid usuing teh little on-camera flash EVER.
    It is only good for a little fill light whne you are shooting outside
    in bright light. As a main light, they are horrible little things that
    specialize in creating red eye.

    There's a lot to learn, but getting too much equipment right away will
    work against you learning. (1) get a dSLR; (2) practice using it on A,
    S, or P - but avoid (for now) the pre-programmed modes; (3) use outdoor
    or window light with a reflector and experiment.

    And by all means, look at GOOD photography that is of the kind you want
    to shoot.

    wrote:
    > I am new to photography but I am interested in getting into portraits
    > of children. Is there any particular type of digital camera that would
    > be best for that type of photography. I would like to do indoor as
    > well as outdoor pictures, both posed and candid.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > Thanks
    >
    > The Bushman

    , Sep 15, 2006
  4. Roy G Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am new to photography but I am interested in getting into portraits
    >> of children. Is there any particular type of digital camera that would
    >> be best for that type of photography. I would like to do indoor as
    >> well as outdoor pictures, both posed and candid.
    >>
    >> Any advice would be appreciated.

    > Visit a good portrait photography studio, or just one of those places in
    > a shopping mall and take a look at the photography gear they use.

    Hi

    What some "Mall" photographers use could be rather misleading.

    I have seen them using Nikon FM, with the aperture ring glued stuck at f5.6,
    and a self tapping screw forced into the Shutter Speed dial to hold it at 1
    /125th.

    The operators knew nothing about photography other than to set the monoblock
    flash at 6 ft from the posing table, and to ensure the child was in focus.
    It was only a pocket money job for Mums with some time to spare.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Sep 16, 2006