    TIA-

    John
    San Diego
    John in San Diego, Sep 7, 2003

  2. John in San Diego

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 03:29:08 -0700, "John in San Diego"
    <> wrote:

    >To you portrait photographers out there who do your own printing, what
    >printer do you use?
    >
    >Is the Epson 9600 ($5,000) a good choice? Anybody use sub-$1000 models with
    >success?

    Epson 2200 would be a good choice, or try the Canon 9000
    or i9100.

    The Epson will give you print permanence, at the expense
    of more fussy color control.

    Or wait a month or two (rumors of impending new models.)

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Sep 7, 2003

  3. John in San Diego

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:29:05 GMT, Rafe B. <>
    wrote:

    >Epson 2200 would be a good choice

    Ack, especially skin tones are very good with this printer.

    >The Epson will give you print permanence, at the expense
    >of more fussy color control.

    The control is not the problem. Some papers tend for a little of
    metamerism and bronzing with the paper. IMO this is way overrated as
    bronzing is only been seen when you look at the paper at a ridiculous
    angle. And metamerism (showing the colours differently under different
    lighting) is actually only obvious if the light used is very off
    normal light (i.e. fluorescent lamps in scanners).

    The best way to judge it is by going to the next professional's shop
    (photo that is, not computer) where they should have prints of their
    own made on the printer with various papers.

    >Or wait a month or two (rumors of impending new models.)

    Depends on the format you need, if you are satisfied with A4, have a
    look at the HP 7960 (just on the market), very good results for its
    relatively modest price.

    --

    Dierk
    Dierk Haasis, Sep 7, 2003
  4. John in San Diego

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "John in San Diego"

    >To you portrait photographers out there who do your own printing, what
    >printer do you use?
    >
    >Is the Epson 9600 ($5,000) a good choice?

    Numerous pros have switched to the Epson 9600, guys like Greg Gorman and Monte
    Zucker. But do you really need to print 44" wide? That's a giant portrait.
    The 7600 is pretty much identical but prints 24" and sells for $3,000. The
    2200 uses the same inks and is a consumer model instead of a pro model, 13"
    wide for $650.

    The Luster paper really looks nice with portraits, I feel.

    Before plunking down $5,000 I'd get a couple of images printed out and see if
    it's what you want. Calypso Labs in Santa Clara and West Coast Imaging in
    Oakhurst, CA both offer 9600 prints at very reasonable prices, and also offer
    classes which let you print on them and a LightJet 5000.

    http://www.calypsoinc.com/
    http://www.westcoastimaging.com/

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Sep 7, 2003
  5. Thanks, you guys. Looks like I don't need to shell out five grand for a
    printer!

    The Epson 2200 looks like it might fit the bill...

    John
    John in San Diego, Sep 7, 2003