    I'd like this number which I've known all my life live on as a Voip
    number which I'd use in my home. Is this possible?

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, Aug 4, 2012

  2. Malcolm Loades

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Malcolm Loades
    <> scribeth thus
    >Will porting achieve what I want? If so how do I go about it?
    >
    >My Mother has just passed away and odd as it may seem I'm reticent to
    >lose the telephone number. When the 'phone was installed in her cottage
    >before the 'old' King died, circa 1951, we had a 3 digit telephone
    >number on a named exchange. In the 60's a fourth digit was added to the
    >front of the original number, later still (70's or 80's?) 2 more digits
    >were stuck in front and then the STD code became part of the number and
    >the exchange name was dropped. But still the original 60 year old
    >number remained as the last 3 digits.
    >
    >I'd like this number which I've known all my life live on as a Voip
    >number which I'd use in my home. Is this possible?
    >
    >Malcolm

    Can't see why not. Either forge your mothers signature and who would
    bother to check?. Course you can take-over the line can't you;?..

    Then port to VoIP...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Aug 4, 2012

  3. Malcolm Loades

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:08:40 +0100, Malcolm Loades <>
    wrote:

    >Will porting achieve what I want? If so how do I go about it?
    >
    >My Mother has just passed away and odd as it may seem I'm reticent to
    >lose the telephone number. When the 'phone was installed in her cottage
    >before the 'old' King died, circa 1951, we had a 3 digit telephone
    >number on a named exchange. In the 60's a fourth digit was added to the
    >front of the original number, later still (70's or 80's?) 2 more digits
    >were stuck in front and then the STD code became part of the number and
    >the exchange name was dropped. But still the original 60 year old
    >number remained as the last 3 digits.
    >
    >I'd like this number which I've known all my life live on as a Voip
    >number which I'd use in my home. Is this possible?
    >
    >Malcolm

    (2nd attempt at posting, Sorry if this appears twice)

    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

    http://www.live.sipgate.co.uk/faq/a..._telephone_number_and_move_it_over_to_sipgate

    The important thing (IIUC) is to allow the port process to cease the
    existing service, do not contact BT about ceasing the line.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 4, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    Malcolm Loades <> wrote:
    >Will porting achieve what I want? If so how do I go about it?
    >
    >My Mother has just passed away and odd as it may seem I'm reticent to
    >lose the telephone number. When the 'phone was installed in her cottage
    >before the 'old' King died, circa 1951, we had a 3 digit telephone
    >number on a named exchange. In the 60's a fourth digit was added to the
    >front of the original number, later still (70's or 80's?) 2 more digits
    >were stuck in front and then the STD code became part of the number and
    >the exchange name was dropped. But still the original 60 year old
    >number remained as the last 3 digits.
    >
    >I'd like this number which I've known all my life live on as a Voip
    >number which I'd use in my home. Is this possible?

    Yes, it's very possible. Expect to pay somewhere in the region of £15
    to £35 for it, depending on who you go to then an on-going fee from
    near zero to over a fiver a month, again depending on who you go to.

    There is some paperwork required - usually including the signature of
    the bill payer...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 4, 2012
  5. In article <>,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    >The important thing (IIUC) is to allow the port process to cease the
    >existing service, do not contact BT about ceasing the line.

    That's VERY important. Do not under any circumstances tell the losing
    telco that you're about to port/cease the line.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 4, 2012
  6. On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 11:43:52 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    > "Malcolm Loades" <> wrote in message
    >> Will porting achieve what I want? If so how do I go about it?
    >>
    >> My Mother has just passed away.

    > My condolences.
    >
    >> and odd as it may seem I'm reticent to lose the telephone number. When
    >> the 'phone was installed in her cottage before the 'old' King died, circa
    >> 1951, we had a 3 digit telephone number on a named exchange. In the 60's
    >> a fourth digit was added to the front of the original number, later still
    >> (70's or 80's?) 2 more digits were stuck in front and then the STD code
    >> became part of the number and the exchange name was dropped. But still
    >> the original 60 year old number remained as the last 3 digits.
    >>
    >> I'd like this number which I've known all my life live on as a Voip number
    >> which I'd use in my home. Is this possible?
    >>
    >> Malcolm

    > Yes, assuming you are your mother's executor and / or beneficiary, then just
    > either just port the line and / or take it over [then port it if you want it
    > somewhere else].
    >
    > See elsewhere in thread about how to get it to Voipfone. They are very
    > helpful, persevere and are used to BT's blithering incompetence (e.g.
    > claiming the number is with another provider). Cheap too!
    >
    > BT are completely idiotic about people / businesses wanting to keep numbers
    > for perfectly practical reasons let alone sentiment. I have already had to
    > port two out to Voipfone after BT bodged migrations and will have to port
    > another if I want to go to Infinity (they cut off your BB Talk number). As
    > discussed elsewhere do NOT under any circumstances discuss the matter with
    > BT and if at all possible even avoid telling them your mum has died - just
    > pay their bills till the port is done.

    Does Voipfone support multiple simultaneous softphone or ATA registrations? I
    know Sipgate does that well.
    Anthony R. Gold, Aug 5, 2012
  7. On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:01:09 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 11:43:52 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Malcolm Loades" <> wrote in message

    > SNIP
    >>
    >> Does Voipfone support multiple simultaneous softphone or ATA
    >> registrations? I
    >> know Sipgate does that well.

    > Yes - three on mine at present, but only the last one to ring out get
    > presented with incoming calls.

    Thanks, but being registered yet not receiving calls sounds contradictory to
    me. I'd better use Sipgate for my ported numbers when I move later this year.
    Anthony R. Gold, Aug 6, 2012
  8. Malcolm Loades

    Graham. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 11:43:52 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Malcolm Loades" <> wrote in message

    >SNIP
    >>
    >> Does Voipfone support multiple simultaneous softphone or ATA
    >> registrations? I
    >> know Sipgate does that well.

    >Yes - three on mine at present, but only the last one to ring out get
    >presented with incoming calls.

    But where are your three devices. Are they behind the same NAT? That
    would be challenging for an incoming call to discriminate between the
    devices.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 6, 2012
  9. Malcolm Loades

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <>
    "R. Mark Clayton" <> wrote:

    >"Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 11:43:52 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Malcolm Loades" <> wrote in message

    >SNIP
    >>
    >> Does Voipfone support multiple simultaneous softphone or ATA
    >> registrations? I
    >> know Sipgate does that well.

    >Yes - three on mine at present, but only the last one to ring out get
    >presented with incoming calls.

    I hope you've assigned three different port numbers for SIP for your
    three devices?

    Dave
    Dave Higton, Aug 6, 2012
  10. On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 18:28:13 +0100, Graham. <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:01:09 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message

    >> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> Does Voipfone support multiple simultaneous softphone or ATA
    >>> registrations? I
    >>> know Sipgate does that well.

    >> Yes - three on mine at present, but only the last one to ring out get
    >> presented with incoming calls.
    >>

    > But where are your three devices. Are they behind the same NAT? That
    > would be challenging for an incoming call to discriminate between the
    > devices.

    Interesting question. My needs are for simultaneous connections from
    thousands of miles apart and so only from diverse WAN IP addresses.
    Anthony R. Gold, Aug 6, 2012