    also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
    number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
    it back again...

    Herman, Mar 27, 2007

  2. Herman

    Adrian Guest

    On Mar 27, 5:06 am, "Herman" <>
    wrote:
    > Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
    > voip.co.uk.
    >
    > I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed by a
    > call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated my
    > ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.
    >
    > The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try to
    > grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it without
    > the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which is
    > also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
    > number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
    > it back again...

    Since I am pondering making the same move, I would appreciate your
    keeping us updated on this one!

    Adrian

    Adrian, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Herman

    Herman Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 27, 5:06 am, "Herman" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
    >> voip.co.uk.
    >>
    >> I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed
    >> by a
    >> call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated
    >> my
    >> ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.
    >>
    >> The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try
    >> grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it
    >> without
    >> the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which
    >> is
    >> also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
    >> number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to
    >> get
    >> it back again...

    > Since I am pondering making the same move, I would appreciate your
    > keeping us updated on this one!
    >
    > Adrian

    Will do. On the positive side, Chris from voip.co.uk is telling me he is
    confident it won't be an issue. We'll see!

    In any case I think it is still worth the risk, as they are not allowed to
    grab the number which means it should be relatively easy to grab it back if
    it does happen. All depends on the controls Gamma have got in place, I
    guess.

    Herman, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Herman

    Bypass Guest

    Herman wrote:
    > Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
    > voip.co.uk.
    >
    > I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed by a
    > call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated my
    > ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.
    >
    > The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try to
    > grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it without
    > the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which is
    > also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
    > number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
    > it back again...

    That's interesting. Voip.co.uk tell me that they don't have any porting
    arrangements with any service provider other than BT.

    Are they spinning me a yarn, then?

    Bypass, Mar 27, 2007
  5. Herman

    Herman Guest

    "Bypass" <> wrote in message
    > Herman wrote:
    >> Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
    >> voip.co.uk.
    >>
    >> I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed
    >> by a call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have
    >> re-allocated my ported number, as their system did not realise it had
    >> been ported away.
    >>
    >> The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try
    >> to grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it
    >> without the intervention of any other party (including their
    >> carrier,Gamma, which is also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose
    >> the use of my inbound number in the next couple of days. This could be
    >> interesting trying to get it back again...

    > That's interesting. Voip.co.uk tell me that they don't have any porting
    > arrangements with any service provider other than BT.
    >
    > Are they spinning me a yarn, then?

    They don't *need* a porting agreement with Vonage as it is the same carrier
    (Gamma)

    Herman, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Herman

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:11:13 +0100, Bypass <> wrote:

    >Herman wrote:
    >> Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
    >> voip.co.uk.
    >>
    >> I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed by a
    >> call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated my
    >> ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.
    >>
    >> The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try to
    >> grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it without
    >> the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which is
    >> also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
    >> number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
    >> it back again...
    >>

    >That's interesting. Voip.co.uk tell me that they don't have any porting
    >arrangements with any service provider other than BT.
    >
    >Are they spinning me a yarn, then?

    Ported my two Vonage numbers across a little while ago no problem and
    never heard from Vonage since , who did you talk to at voip.co.uk it
    certainly wouldn't have been Chris unless something as changed at
    voip.co.uk recently .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 27, 2007
  7. Herman

    Bypass Guest

    -ip.co.uk wrote:

    > Ported my two Vonage numbers across a little while ago no problem and
    > never heard from Vonage since , who did you talk to at voip.co.uk it
    > certainly wouldn't have been Chris unless something as changed at
    > voip.co.uk recently .

    As it happens it was Chris. I've got 'serious' problems with all calls
    dropping out on voip.co.uk. I've posted to technical support and after
    the initial response, 'it shouldn't happen anymore', they tend to ignore
    the tickets I raise.

    arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

    Bypass, Mar 27, 2007
  8. Herman

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Bypass wrote:
    > arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

    If they both use the same wholesaler, porting will not really come into
    it. Porting is an arrangement between range holders more than anything else.

    Paul Cupis, Mar 27, 2007
  9. Herman

    Bypass Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Bypass wrote:
    >> arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

    > If they both use the same wholesaler, porting will not really come into
    > it. Porting is an arrangement between range holders more than anything
    > else.

    Thanks Paul. So what question should I be asking voip.co.uk if I want
    to 'move' my numbers to a different provider?

    Bypass, Mar 27, 2007
  10. Herman

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:25:49 +0100, Bypass <> wrote:

    > I've posted to technical support and after
    >the initial response, 'it shouldn't happen anymore', they tend to ignore
    >the tickets I raise.

    Speak directly with Chris sod posting and emailing this is another
    reason why I hate Sipgate no voice contact number supplied ,the call
    will be free and if Chris can't sort out the problem no one can.Unless
    of course it isn't down to them maybe your bb connection or ATA you
    are using or something .
    >arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

    It was a post here from Herman that got me thinking about porting my
    Vonage numbers in the first place ,I contacted Chris at lunchtime the
    next day and by 5 pm one line was with voip.co.uk but it took them two
    day to get the second line across .
    Now with all the problems Vonage are having in the states with Verison
    they have put a stop to letting their numbers walk or something .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 27, 2007
  11. Herman

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Bypass wrote:
    > Paul Cupis wrote:
    >> Bypass wrote:
    >>> arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

    >> If they both use the same wholesaler, porting will not really come
    >> into it. Porting is an arrangement between range holders more than
    >> anything else.

    > Thanks Paul. So what question should I be asking voip.co.uk if I want
    > to 'move' my numbers to a different provider?

    You don't ask voip.co.uk anything, you ask your new provider to port the
    number to them. If they are willing to do it, they will either use an
    existing porting arrangement or setup a porting arrangement to
    facilitate it.

    Or they might just tell you that they are not interested in porting the
    number to them.

    Paul Cupis, Mar 27, 2007
  12. Herman

    Bypass Guest

    -ip.co.uk wrote:

    > Speak directly with Chris ...and if Chris can't sort out the problem no one can.

    If you see my other post, I have 'horrendous' problems with a vast
    majority of my calls dropping out and they don't seem that much
    interested in responding to any technical support tickets I raise with them.

    Would you be happy with a provider where your calls drop out anytime
    between 1 and 4 minutes and at frequent intervals? Furthermore, it's
    been over a year now where I've been complaining about voicemail, where
    the caller (or their message) is suddenly 'terminated' after 41 seconds.

    For sure, ask Chris a 'simple' technical query and he'll get back to you
    in a short while, but anything other than that and you'll be lucky to
    get an acknowledgment that you exist.

    Maybe I'm an eternal pessimist, I don't know.

    Bypass, Mar 27, 2007
  13. Herman

    Herman Guest

    "Bypass" <> wrote in message
    > -ip.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> Speak directly with Chris ...and if Chris can't sort out the problem no
    >> one can.

    > If you see my other post, I have 'horrendous' problems with a vast
    > majority of my calls dropping out and they don't seem that much interested
    > in responding to any technical support tickets I raise with them.
    >
    > Would you be happy with a provider where your calls drop out anytime
    > between 1 and 4 minutes and at frequent intervals? Furthermore, it's been
    > over a year now where I've been complaining about voicemail, where the
    > caller (or their message) is suddenly 'terminated' after 41 seconds.
    >
    > For sure, ask Chris a 'simple' technical query and he'll get back to you
    > in a short while, but anything other than that and you'll be lucky to get
    > an acknowledgment that you exist.
    >
    > Maybe I'm an eternal pessimist, I don't know.

    For me the voip.co.uk service is OK - cheap and cheerful. Because I have
    had relatively few issues on a low-cost service, it is a no-brainer for me.
    Vonage was also fairly flawless technically for me, but my ATA was locked
    and there were cheaper, usable options around which I had already trialled.

    However, it sounds to me like you do need to seriously consider your options
    if the service is not usable. To make sure you don't jump out of the frying
    pan into the fire, suggest you trial some other services first. Might also
    help you to identify the problem, as there are of course a number of points
    in the chain where it can fail.

    As far as your options go, it will be BT or another provider using Gamma.
    Vonage is not an option IMHO as they have not at all latched on to this
    porting thing. Might be worth having a word with their tech support just in
    case. Otherwise it is just shopping around and asking providers the
    question.

    Herman, Mar 27, 2007
  14. Herman

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:41:48 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    > Might also
    >help you to identify the problem, as there are of course a number of points
    >in the chain where it can fail.

    Exactly Herman I just do not think this is a problem that can be
    attributed directly to VoipUK .I base this on my problems with the
    service which have been few but ALL down to my set up and nothing
    else plus this is the first complaint I have seen here relating to
    voip UK, every thing else I have read here relating to them has been
    good .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 27, 2007
  15. Herman

    Herman Guest

    <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:41:48 GMT, > Exactly Herman I just do not think
    > this is a problem that can be
    > attributed directly to VoipUK .I base this on my problems with the
    > service which have been few but ALL down to my set up and nothing
    > else plus this is the first complaint I have seen here relating to
    > voip UK, every thing else I have read here relating to them has been
    > good .

    That's a leap of logic. I have had a few problems which haven't been down
    to my setup (servers down, dropped 999 calls, ...)
    However, I can work around these problems in view of the service cost. Just
    because it works satisfactorily for you and me or even for a number of other
    people on this group, doesn't mean that it does for everyone. It just means
    its more likely to be a setup issue or a different point in the chain. If
    you can't get the help to solve the problem (wherever it is in the chain),
    then it is probably more sensible to look at alternative providers, which
    may actually help identify the problem OP has.

    Herman, Mar 28, 2007