    Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's see
    if it stays that way!

    --

    Herman, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Herman

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:53:20 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's see
    >if it stays that way!

    Hi Herman could you please tell us how you went about it .

    , Jan 5, 2007

  3. Herman

    Herman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:53:20 GMT, "Herman"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's
    >>see
    >>if it stays that way!

    > Hi Herman could you please tell us how you went about it .

    From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
    form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
    carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
    to Gamma).

    Oh it did also take a bit of chasing, but it was the holidays.

    My only doubt is that the Vonage account still shows as active, so I have
    sent them a cancellation e-mail now just to be sure...

    Herman, Jan 5, 2007
  4. Herman

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:34:15 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
    >form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
    >carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
    >to Gamma).

    Thanks for info Herman I will give it a go no point in paying for
    Vonage now my Freetalk contract is at an end , I still reckon Vonage
    are the best in the business providing you can make full use of the
    free calls.

    , Jan 6, 2007
  5. Herman

    Herman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:34:15 GMT, "Herman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
    >>form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
    >>carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
    >>to Gamma).

    > Thanks for info Herman I will give it a go no point in paying for
    > Vonage now my Freetalk contract is at an end , I still reckon Vonage
    > are the best in the business providing you can make full use of the
    > free calls.

    I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
    all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is the
    solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
    VoIP (reliability etc.)

    However, if you don't mind tinkering AND want to save more money, there are
    better solutions out there. For me, it is cheaper to use an ATA with
    multiple SIP accounts which I can route transparently. That way I can take
    advantage of the Finarea offerings and change as the deals change. And I
    still have a reliable VoIP-in account through voip.co.uk.

    BTW, there are probably other providers out there using Gamma which it would
    work for (in theory).

    Herman, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Herman

    Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:14:00 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
    >all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is the
    >solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
    >VoIP (reliability etc.)

    My first steps into the world of VOIP where not very happy ones thanks
    to a certain subscriber to this forum who spoke extremely highly of a
    certain VOIP provider that my experience of them told me they where
    total RUBBISH .Had the thought not come to me that I had started of at
    the extreme rock bottom which subsequent events confirmed that my
    thoughts where correct I could very easily have given up and stuck
    with fixed lines . Quite a few people here mentioned voipfone.co.uk
    at the time and I signed up with them and have never looked back I
    also got a line from voip.co.uk who are ok and I am still using the
    line but I just do not think they are quite has professional in many
    ways as voipfone .
    ON the other hand Vonage do provide a very good service and even at
    7.99 a month with all free UK calls thrown in, even if you only make
    one or two calls in a month Vonage just has to be a minimum of three
    pounds a month cheaper than BT and Telewest .

    , Jan 6, 2007
  7. Herman

    Herman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:14:00 GMT, "Herman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
    >>all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is
    >>the
    >>solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
    >>VoIP (reliability etc.)

    > My first steps into the world of VOIP where not very happy ones thanks
    > to a certain subscriber to this forum who spoke extremely highly of a
    > certain VOIP provider that my experience of them told me they where
    > total RUBBISH .Had the thought not come to me that I had started of at
    > the extreme rock bottom which subsequent events confirmed that my
    > thoughts where correct I could very easily have given up and stuck
    > with fixed lines . Quite a few people here mentioned voipfone.co.uk
    > at the time and I signed up with them and have never looked back I
    > also got a line from voip.co.uk who are ok and I am still using the
    > line but I just do not think they are quite has professional in many
    > ways as voipfone .
    > ON the other hand Vonage do provide a very good service and even at
    > 7.99 a month with all free UK calls thrown in, even if you only make
    > one or two calls in a month Vonage just has to be a minimum of three
    > pounds a month cheaper than BT and Telewest .

    Like I say, depends what you want. If you want a feature-packed landline
    replacement either as a primary or second line, Vonage is the best value
    solution (number portability being the big issue). If you want a cheap VoIP
    line (and are OK to play about with configuration) go for one or more of the
    cheaper services. That's why I like the FritzBox - you can pick and choose
    who you use dependent on value and performance.

    Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can avoid going
    over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to have another thread
    hijacked by a rather polar argument between you and Ivor... Any regular
    posters will already have their opinions by now.

    Herman, Jan 6, 2007
  8. Herman

    Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:41:39 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can avoid going
    >over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to have another thread
    >hijacked by a rather polar argument between you and Ivor... Any regular
    >posters will already have their opinions by now.

    You mentioned the S word I didn't Herman I don't use expletives at the
    weekend :)))))))))))))))))))))).

    , Jan 6, 2007
  9. Thus spaketh :
    > On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:41:39 GMT, "Herman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can
    >> avoid going over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to
    >> have another thread hijacked by a rather polar argument between you
    >> and Ivor... Any regular posters will already have their opinions by
    >> now.
    >>

    > You mentioned the S word I didn't Herman I don't use expletives at the
    > weekend :)))))))))))))))))))))).

    I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other than less than
    one handfull of short occassions.

    My biggest annoyance with them, what really did p*ss me off, was no
    longer being able to forward calls from IPKall through them.

    I have a good number with Sipgate, now if I could port that number away,
    I may well do, but who's to say the company I port to won't increase
    their prices or go out the market and Sipgate continues to.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 6, 2007
  10. Herman

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other
    > than less than one handfull of short occassions.
    >
    > My biggest annoyance with them, what really did p*ss me
    > off, was no longer being able to forward calls from
    > IPKall through them.

    Yes that annoyed me too, there are moves underway to rectify the problem,
    but I don't know the current status. I currently forward my IPKall numbers
    to FWD accounts, which come in as extra accounts on my Fritz!Box and route
    to the same phones as they did when routed to Sipgate. The FWD numbers
    also have the advantage of giving free access to US 1-800 freephone
    numbers.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 6, 2007
  11. Herman

    Herman Guest

    > I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other than less than
    > one handfull of short occassions.

    Just out of interest, what's the proportion of your calls to other VoIP
    users vs calls to PSTN?

    Herman, Jan 6, 2007
  12. Thus spaketh Herman:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:nnPnh.26453$...
    >
    >> I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other than less
    >> than one handfull of short occassions.

    > Just out of interest, what's the proportion of your calls to other
    > VoIP users vs calls to PSTN?

    At the moment it's down to around 10% of calls are VoIP - VoIP.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 6, 2007
  13. Herman

    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:53:20 GMT, "Herman"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's
    >>>see
    >>>if it stays that way!

    >> Hi Herman could you please tell us how you went about it .

    >From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
    >form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
    >carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
    >to Gamma).
    >
    >Oh it did also take a bit of chasing, but it was the holidays.
    >
    >My only doubt is that the Vonage account still shows as active, so I have
    >sent them a cancellation e-mail now just to be sure...

    Surprise surprise all done and dusted within FOUR HOURS yesterday
    couldn't beleive it today is Wednesday .

    , Jan 9, 2007
  14. Herman

    Jono Guest

    was thinking very hard :

    > today is Wednesday .

    No it's not.

    Jono, Jan 9, 2007
  15. Herman

    Herman Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Surprise surprise all done and dusted within FOUR HOURS yesterday
    > couldn't beleive it today is Wednesday .

    Yes, I think I was the guinea pig.

    Make sure you cancel Vonage as this is not done automatically by voip.co.uk
    as with conventional porting. The retentions team is the first department
    in Vonage I have found to only be open 1.30pm to 11pm. No surprise there
    then...

    They offered me a couple of deals but nothing enticing enough (£4.99 a month
    or free for two months).

    By the way it's Tuesday, but then I guess you knew that...

    Herman, Jan 9, 2007
  16. Herman

    Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:42:01 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Surprise surprise all done and dusted within FOUR HOURS yesterday
    >> couldn't beleive it today is Wednesday .

    >Yes, I think I was the guinea pig.

    Maybe not Chris told me it would probably be a simple matter has my
    vonage number was an orignal freeetalk number and they had no problem
    porting old freetalk numbers but he didn't think it would be done so
    quick though:)) .
    >Make sure you cancel Vonage as this is not done automatically by voip.co.uk
    >as with conventional porting.

    Vonage is no more all sorted but still waithing for the email with the
    return of device details I know exactly where it has to go but they
    say the email has to go in the box. I shall be returning it to TNT
    logistics myself I am only 30 minutes drive away from them .

    >By the way it's Tuesday, but then I guess you knew that...

    Looks like you got confused by this also what it was I actually
    replied to your last message on the subject yes I know it is Tuesday
    and it was yesterday when I posted where the Wednesday came from I
    will never know:))))) I do know I had a lot on my mind though
    yesterday .

    , Jan 9, 2007