    or does it needs any migration ?

    Regards,
    - Kishor
    =?Utf-8?B?S2lzaG9yIE1haGFqYW4=?=, Oct 5, 2005

  2. "Kishor Mahajan" <Kishor > wrote in message
    >I have some applications developed for Windows XP PRO 32 Bit, Now I want
    > those application to work on Windows XP PRO 64 Bit and for the same I want
    > execute PORTING exercise on my existing application.
    >
    > Queries
    > 1) If as per Charlie Russels notes on Microfost's site about this Windows
    > XP PRo x64, Windows XP PRO 64 Bit support's AMD's (Athlon and Turion) and
    > Intel's (Xenon and EM64T) processor, But I wanted to know if this OS
    > support's Itanium (IA64) processor also or not ?

    No, the Itanium version of Windows XP has been discontinued. There is a
    version of Server 2003 available, but it is not the same as the x64 edition.

    > 2) If application executing on 64 Bit Itanium server executes as is on
    > this
    > OS or those need's to rebuild using EM64T support ?

    Itanium is a different instruction set. An application built for Itanium
    will not work on x64, it must be rebuilt. You can however use 32-bit
    application for 32-bit Windows on the x64 edition.

    > 3) If Direct X based applications worked properly on Windows XP PRO 64
    > Bit,
    > or does it needs any migration ?

    There are 3 compilation targets for a C++ application for Windows: 32-bit
    x86, 64-bit x86 (x64 or sometimes amd64) and 64-bit Itanium (ia64). A
    32-bit x86 app can run on a 64-bit x86 OS, but if you want to have a 64-bit
    program, it must be recompiled.

    Michael D'Angelo, Oct 5, 2005

  3. There are three architectures, and they all are different porting targets --
    x86 (32-bit Windows), x64, and ia64. The ia64 architecture is entirely
    different from x86 and x64, and is currently only appropriate for very large
    server applications. Microsoft no longer makes an edition of Windows XP for
    ia64(Itanium). Applications which are ported to x64 architecture will not
    run on ia64, and applications which run on ia64 will not run on x64. x86
    applications will generally run very well on x64, and not well if at all on
    ia64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Hi,

    In addition to the other comments. The newest version of the
    directx sdk supports 64bit operation systems.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...51-2DBE-4ECC-8C57-C52EEA50C20A&displaylang=en

    Ken

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Oct 9, 2005