    VoipFone?

    Or does anyone know if Onetel is starting some VoIP service in the near
    future?

    news.rcn.com, Jul 11, 2006

  2. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    news.rcn.com wrote:
    > Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered that
    > my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
    > (and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
    > available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says that
    > the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
    > service to get it onto VoIP)
    >
    > VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
    > they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
    > somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of handling
    > this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with onetel
    > or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
    > VoipFone?

    What is the number range? You can use this to confirm it is a Onetel number.

    Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,
    but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
    company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.
    There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
    bother setting up a porting agreement with another.

    You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
    the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new provider.

    Paul Cupis, Jul 11, 2006

  3. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > news.rcn.com wrote:
    >> Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered
    >> that
    >> my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
    >> (and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
    >> available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says
    >> that
    >> the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
    >> service to get it onto VoIP)
    >>
    >> VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
    >> they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
    >> somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of
    >> handling
    >> this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with
    >> onetel
    >> or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
    >> VoipFone?

    > What is the number range? You can use this to confirm it is a Onetel
    > number.

    Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
    presumably a few years ago

    > Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,

    They say this will take 6 months (if they could be bothered to do it)

    > but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
    > company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.

    They say none of 'their' companies have a porting agrement with onetel

    > There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
    > bother setting up a porting agreement with another.
    >
    > You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
    > the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new
    > provider.

    I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

    Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    news.rcn.com, Jul 11, 2006
  4. news.rcn.com

    Jono Guest

    news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
    er.

    > I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.
    >
    > Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short
    period?

    I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the
    line back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you
    can spend in ££, you don't actually have to wait 3 months before
    porting to your VSP.

    Jono, Jul 11, 2006
  5. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    news.rcn.com wrote:
    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >> Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,

    > They say this will take 6 months (if they could be bothered to do it)

    Correct.

    >> but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
    >> company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.

    > They say none of 'their' companies have a porting agrement with onetel

    Okay, so you are basically out of luck unless you can:

    * convince them or one of their suppliers to request and implement a
    porting agreement with Onetel
    * find a supplier who does have a porting agreement with Onetel (or who
    will get one)

    Good luck with that.

    >> There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
    >> bother setting up a porting agreement with another.
    >>
    >> You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
    >> the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new
    >> provider.

    > I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

    It's either a Onetel range or a BT range - it cannot be both. You've
    just said it a Onetel range, so BT have nothing to do with it.

    > Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
    that the answer is no.

    Paul Cupis, Jul 11, 2006
  6. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
    > er.
    >> I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.
    >>
    >> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    > If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short period?
    >
    > I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
    > back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
    > spend in ££, you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
    > your VSP.

    If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
    from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number etc.

    However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.

    Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
    ourselves, so...

    Paul Cupis, Jul 11, 2006
  7. news.rcn.com

    Jono Guest

    on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
    >> er.
    >>> I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.
    >>>
    >>> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    >> If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short period?
    >>
    >> I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
    >> back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
    >> spend in ££, you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
    >> your VSP.

    > If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
    > from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number etc.
    >
    > However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.
    >
    > Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
    > ourselves, so...

    Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
    "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
    1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would
    have been two or more digits shorter........

    Jono, Jul 11, 2006
  8. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
    >>> er.

    >>> If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short
    >>> period?
    >>>
    >>> I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
    >>> back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
    >>> spend in ££, you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
    >>> your VSP.

    >> If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
    >> from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.
    >>
    >> Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
    >> ourselves, so...

    > Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
    > "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
    > 1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would have
    > been two or more digits shorter........

    He also says:

    "Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
    presumably a few years ago"

    which doesn't even make sense.

    To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
    telephone number in question?

    Paul Cupis, Jul 11, 2006
  9. news.rcn.com

    Jono Guest

    Paul Cupis has brought this to us :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :

    >>> If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
    >>> from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number
    >>> etc.
    >>>
    >>> However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.
    >>>
    >>> Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
    >>> ourselves, so...

    >> Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
    >> "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
    >> 1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would have
    >> been two or more digits shorter........

    > He also says:
    >
    > "Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
    > presumably a few years ago"
    >
    > which doesn't even make sense.
    >
    > To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
    > telephone number in question?

    He said in March "We need to retain the number we have had for fifty
    years" - must be a BT number that hasn't /ported/ to Onetel, merely,
    they're porviding him with Wholesale Line Rental.

    What good would knowing the last 3-4 digits do......? do you mean 1st 3
    or 4 plus STD?

    It's a London number according to the earlier posts.

    In October last year he said "We used OneTel. Someone has connected the
    flat up to a new phone and BT tried to tell us that we can't retain the
    number we have had for fifty years. (OneTel told me that I can but I
    now can't seem to be able to contact them by phone from New York) When
    I threatened to change service, BT re-transferred the number
    immediately.
    "

    BT re-transferred the number where?

    Come on news.rcn.com, give us some more info........isn't New York
    awake yet?

    Jono, Jul 11, 2006
  10. Thus spaketh Jono:
    > Paul Cupis has brought this to us :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :

    >>> Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
    >>> "I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
    >>> 1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would
    >>> have been two or more digits shorter........

    >> He also says:
    >>
    >> "Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to
    >> them presumably a few years ago"
    >>
    >> which doesn't even make sense.
    >>
    >> To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
    >> telephone number in question?

    > He said in March "We need to retain the number we have had for fifty
    > years" - must be a BT number that hasn't /ported/ to Onetel, merely,
    > they're porviding him with Wholesale Line Rental.
    >
    > What good would knowing the last 3-4 digits do......? do you mean 1st
    > 3 or 4 plus STD?

    They didn't ask for the last 3-4 digits, they asked for all BUT the last
    3-4 digits.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 11, 2006
  11. news.rcn.com

    Jono Guest

    After serious thinking {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote :
    >>> To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
    >>> telephone number in question?

    >> What good would knowing the last 3-4 digits do......? do you mean 1st
    >> 3 or 4 plus STD?
    >>

    > They didn't ask for the last 3-4 digits, they asked for all BUT the last 3-4
    > digits.

    Ooops!

    Need to go to bed, clearly..!

    Jono, Jul 11, 2006
  12. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Re: Porting numbers or RELEASING numbers?

    >> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    > What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
    > that the answer is no.

    So there is no one I can complain against? Onetel says 'the procedure is
    quite simple, you merely discontinue your service with us and then VoipFone
    or whoever else picks it up' and then Voipfone tells me 'this isn't they way
    it is done, the number will still remain a Onetel number'.

    Who has got it wrong? I suspect there is some significance in it being a BT
    range number (a point people kept asking me which I thought irrelevant) NOT
    a onetel range number but why didn't voipfone spot this point, after all,
    all I was trying to do was to start using their service, it was in their
    interest to spot this point??? They simply write me two line letters
    telling me that they cant help.

    FWIW the number is an 020-7722 number which as I have implied (about as
    strongly as I can) must be a BT range number because as people here have
    noticed, I somehow doubt that BT had access to onetel numbers to assign to
    me in 1959 or would have needed to do so even if Onetel existed then. And I
    fully accept that VoipFone cant pick up a Onetel-range number which even if
    Onetel releases it, may still remain a Onetel-range number. (I cant see the
    significance in this, unless there are so few Onetel numbers that a number
    starts being in the Onetel range when BT ports it to Onetel??)

    Is this an unusual situation? To have a discount carrier company 'drop' a
    number by the customer canceling the service so that it can be transferred
    to another service? Not all problems start with BT? In America people do
    it all the time. Some even change service whenever they receive a letter in
    the post telling them that they are being offered a discount slightly larger
    than their present discount together with a cheque for five bucks as an
    incentive.

    Maybe, I am beginning to believe, another company CAN pick it up again if it
    is assigned to no one and BT insists it isn't a BT number. Is it significant
    that it was in the BT 'pool'? I don't want to get left in the ether with no
    one able to pick up this number after doing something on the advice of some
    first level telephonist at a Onetel call-answering Centre. Is Voipfone
    correct in telling me that when Onetel drops the number, they wont be able
    to simply register it in their name? Meanwhile Otelo is asking me in these
    circumstances which company I am making a complaint against (if BT insist
    that the number isn't theirs) and everyone except Voipfone is cooperating.
    Does Voipfone have to have a porting agreement with onetel to register a
    number with Voipfone which Onetel has dropped?

    Why wont Otelo tell me what the regulations concerning registration of
    numbers which they are supposed to enforce are? So that I can simply go to
    Voipfone and tell them that they are wrong if onetel is insisting that they
    will obligingly cancel this service and release the number? Surely changing
    service cant be all that unusual when you are doing it after BT has released
    their number and insists that it is no longer theirs?

    news.rcn.com, Jul 12, 2006
  13. Re: Porting numbers or RELEASING numbers?

    news.rcn.com wrote:
    >>> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    >> What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
    >> that the answer is no.

    > So there is no one I can complain against? Onetel says 'the procedure is
    > quite simple, you merely discontinue your service with us and then VoipFone
    > or whoever else picks it up' and then Voipfone tells me 'this isn't they way
    > it is done, the number will still remain a Onetel number'.

    mmm. the problem in the UK is that the numbers are owned by the telco,
    unless they get ported to another telco, when the ownership moves.

    Secondly, BT is the only telco in the UK whom is obligated to port
    numbers to/from anyone else. So, voipfone can't port with onetel.

    So, I think that the only way round this situation is for you to port
    your number back to BT (which they will do very easily and likely for
    free) and then, after a couple of weeks, to initiate a port out again
    from BT to voipfone.

    http://www.bt.com/reconnect/index.jsp

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jul 12, 2006
  14. news.rcn.com

    "Peter Gradwell" <> wrote in message

    >>> What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
    >>> that the answer is no.

    >> So there is no one I can complain against? Onetel says 'the procedure is
    >> quite simple, you merely discontinue your service with us and then
    >> VoipFone or whoever else picks it up' and then Voipfone tells me 'this
    >> isn't they way it is done, the number will still remain a Onetel number'.

    > mmm. the problem in the UK is that the numbers are owned by the telco,
    > unless they get ported to another telco, when the ownership moves.
    >
    > Secondly, BT is the only telco in the UK whom is obligated to port numbers
    > to/from anyone else. So, voipfone can't port with onetel.
    >
    > So, I think that the only way round this situation is for you to port your
    > number back to BT (which they will do very easily and likely for free) and
    > then, after a couple of weeks, to initiate a port out again from BT to
    > voipfone.

    I am therefore doing that and onetel told me that they are cancelling the
    service immediately so that the line can revert back to BT and BT can then
    act on the instructions to port it to the VoIP company.

    news.rcn.com, Jul 12, 2006
  15. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    news.rcn.com wrote:
    >>> Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

    >> What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
    >> that the answer is no.

    > So there is no one I can complain against? Onetel says 'the procedure is
    > quite simple, you merely discontinue your service with us and then VoipFone
    > or whoever else picks it up' and then Voipfone tells me 'this isn't they way
    > it is done, the number will still remain a Onetel number'.
    >
    > Who has got it wrong? I suspect there is some significance in it being a BT
    > range number (a point people kept asking me which I thought irrelevant) NOT
    > a onetel range number but why didn't voipfone spot this point, after all,
    > all I was trying to do was to start using their service, it was in their
    > interest to spot this point??? They simply write me two line letters
    > telling me that they cant help.
    >
    > FWIW the number is an 020-7722 number

    This is a BT number. Ask Voipfone to port it from BT. Do not mention
    onetel unless you are asked about them. Let us know how it goes.

    > And I
    > fully accept that VoipFone cant pick up a Onetel-range number which even if
    > Onetel releases it, may still remain a Onetel-range number. (I cant see the
    > significance in this, unless there are so few Onetel numbers that a number
    > starts being in the Onetel range when BT ports it to Onetel??)

    But this is not a Onetel number range, so it doesn't matter that
    Voipfone can't port from Onetel.

    Paul Cupis, Jul 12, 2006
  16. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > Secondly, BT is the only telco in the UK whom is obligated to port
    > numbers to/from anyone else. So, voipfone can't port with onetel.

    I'm of the understanding that all telcos in the UK are obliged to port
    numbers out if requested, but they are not obliged to port numbers in.

    Paul Cupis, Jul 12, 2006
  17. news.rcn.com

    mindblend Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > > Secondly, BT is the only telco in the UK whom is obligated to port
    > > numbers to/from anyone else. So, voipfone can't port with onetel.

    > I'm of the understanding that all telcos in the UK are obliged to port
    > numbers out if requested, but they are not obliged to port numbers in.

    By law all telcos are obliged to do this. In practice however, we see a
    lot of the above happening. If the original number provider doesnt have
    a porting arrangement with the new provider, you are 99% of the time
    out of luck.

    I very much doubt that voipfone will pursue a porting agreement with
    onetel just for the sake of one number. You will get the run around.

    mindblend, Jul 13, 2006
  18. Re: Porting numbers or RELEASING numbers?

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Peter Gradwell wrote:
    >> Secondly, BT is the only telco in the UK whom is obligated to port
    >> numbers to/from anyone else. So, voipfone can't port with onetel.

    > I'm of the understanding that all telcos in the UK are obliged to port
    > numbers out if requested, but they are not obliged to port numbers in.

    They are only obliged to port numbers out to BT.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jul 13, 2006
  19. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > Paul Cupis wrote:
    >> Peter Gradwell wrote:
    >>> Secondly, BT is the only telco in the UK whom is obligated to port
    >>> numbers to/from anyone else. So, voipfone can't port with onetel.

    >> I'm of the understanding that all telcos in the UK are obliged to port
    >> numbers out if requested, but they are not obliged to port numbers in.

    > They are only obliged to port numbers out to BT.

    That's not my understanding of General Condition 18 - can you cite a
    reference for your statement, please?

    Paul Cupis, Jul 13, 2006
  20. news.rcn.com

    Paul Cupis Guest

    mindblend wrote:
    > I very much doubt that voipfone will pursue a porting agreement with
    > onetel just for the sake of one number. You will get the run around.

    If the number was a Onetel number and Voipfone (or whoever) didn't want
    to port it in, they have no obligation to, and could just tell the
    customer that they don't want to.

    Paul Cupis, Jul 13, 2006