Porting a number from BT

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Matt, Apr 21, 2009.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi,

    Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
    planning to do...

    I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.

    The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.

    I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
    number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
    a voip provider.

    This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.

    Has anyone done this?

    Many thanks

    Matthew

    Matt, Apr 21, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    Matt <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
    >planning to do...

    >I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.
    >
    >The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.

    That is a complication and is more or less is a show-stopper as when
    the number is ported your broadband service will cease.

    >I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
    >number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
    >a voip provider.
    >
    >This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.
    >
    >Has anyone done this?

    I'm not convinced it's possible, but there may be some other magic at
    play I don't know about ...

    My suspicions are that it's either not possible, or BT will somehow
    screw up on the day of the porting and you'll lose everything...

    Major hassle and extra cost, and time, but the way I'd done this in the
    past was to get a new phone line installed, migrate the ADSL to that line,
    then port & cease the original line.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 21, 2009

  3. Matt

    Bodincus Guest

    Gordon Henderson:
    > In article <>,
    > Matt <> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
    >> planning to do...

    >> I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.
    >>
    >> The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.

    > That is a complication and is more or less is a show-stopper as when
    > the number is ported your broadband service will cease.
    >
    >> I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
    >> number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
    >> a voip provider.
    >>
    >> This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.
    >>
    >> Has anyone done this?

    > I'm not convinced it's possible, but there may be some other magic at
    > play I don't know about ...
    >
    > My suspicions are that it's either not possible, or BT will somehow
    > screw up on the day of the porting and you'll lose everything...
    >
    > Major hassle and extra cost, and time, but the way I'd done this in the
    > past was to get a new phone line installed, migrate the ADSL to that line,
    > then port & cease the original line.
    >
    > Gordon

    Seconded

    Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
    line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
    around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
    then port the old BT number to VoIP.
    That'll cease everything on the old line - ADSL included, with the very
    minimal service disruption.
    At a cost, yes, but a /belt and braces/ solution.
    You'll save in the long term.

    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------

    Bodincus, Apr 21, 2009
  4. Matt

    Jono Guest

    Matt formulated on Tuesday :
    > Hi,
    >
    > Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
    > planning to do...
    >
    > I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.
    >
    > The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.
    >
    > I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
    > number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
    > a voip provider.
    >
    > This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.
    >
    > Has anyone done this?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >

    > Matthew

    Bit protracted but possible.

    1. Get your ADSL line re-numbered which in itself shouldn't cause an
    issue but would free up the number you want to port.

    2. Get remote call forward set up using your discarded number.

    3. port the number.

    .....or stick a 2nd line in, add adsl to it, then port your number.

    Jono, Apr 21, 2009
  5. "Bodincus" <> wrote in message
    Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
    line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
    around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
    then port the old BT number to VoIP.

    Looks like very complicated in the UK to disconnect phone and ADSL.
    Here in Belgium it is not necessary to have a life phone line to get ADSL.
    You can apply for ADSL on "raw copper" at no extra cost (if you stay with
    Belgacom ADSL)
    Hence: perfectly possible to port your number to a voip provider, while
    still keeping ADSL on the same line.

    Another advantage of ADSL on raw copper is that the bandwithh used for phone
    now becomes available: some providers offer Annex M (which incraeses the max
    uplaod to 3.5 Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M)

    Philippe,
    Belgium.

    Philippe Deleye, Apr 22, 2009
  6. Matt

    Don Guest

    In news:Y1lHl.17096$,
    Bodincus <> typed:
    > Seconded
    >
    > Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
    > line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
    > around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
    > then port the old BT number to VoIP.
    > That'll cease everything on the old line - ADSL included, with the
    > very minimal service disruption.
    > At a cost, yes, but a /belt and braces/ solution.
    > You'll save in the long term.

    But your timing is good!
    Free BT line installation (usually £123) if you're moving, reconnecting &
    for second lines
    BT seems to have responded to recent criticism over its hefty £122.50 line
    installation fee; sign-up before 30 June and you can get it free. This
    applies to new lines, reconnections or even having second lines fitted. Free
    BT line deal: You need to sign up for an 18-mth contract and make 10
    chargeable or inclusive calls per month, but don't worry, it's still
    possible to slash call costs. Full info in the Deals Note: Free BT Line
    Rental (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-BT-line-installation)
    Related Guide: Cheapest Home Phones
    (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls)

    Don, Apr 22, 2009
  7. In article <49eebd26$0$2847$>,
    Philippe Deleye <> wrote:

    >"Bodincus" <> wrote in message
    >Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
    >line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
    >around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
    >then port the old BT number to VoIP.
    >
    >Looks like very complicated in the UK to disconnect phone and ADSL.
    >Here in Belgium it is not necessary to have a life phone line to get ADSL.
    >You can apply for ADSL on "raw copper" at no extra cost (if you stay with
    >Belgacom ADSL)
    >Hence: perfectly possible to port your number to a voip provider, while
    >still keeping ADSL on the same line.
    >
    >Another advantage of ADSL on raw copper is that the bandwithh used for phone
    >now becomes available: some providers offer Annex M (which incraeses the max
    >uplaod to 3.5 Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M)

    This isn't here (yet) in the UK. I hear there are moves afoot, but if
    it does happen, I suspect it will be some years down the road. (I think
    the term I've heard used here is "dry copper")

    Some of the LLU operators could technically offer this, I guess, but
    then you're tied into their ADSL platform, and LLU is now-where near
    unicersal in the UK. Some exchanges in rural areas (like mine) will
    never get LLU equipment. (Then again, I said that about ADSL, however...)

    Also, the cynic in me suspects that BT would still charge the same for it,
    whether the line is connected to their telephone hardware or not!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 22, 2009
  8. Matt

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > Also, the cynic in me suspects that BT would still charge the same for
    > it, whether the line is connected to their telephone hardware or not!

    The cost of maintaining the bit of copper between you and the premises is
    the same whether it's plugged into a voice port or not, and I reckon that
    maintaining the last mile costs a lot more than maintaining a few racks of
    kit with n*1000 voice ports in it.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:31:39 up 138 days, 17:42, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.06, 0.05

    alexd, Apr 22, 2009
  9. Matt

    Graham. Guest

    "Philippe Deleye" <> wrote in message

    > "Bodincus" <> wrote in message
    > Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
    > line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
    > around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
    > then port the old BT number to VoIP.
    >
    > Looks like very complicated in the UK to disconnect phone and ADSL.
    > Here in Belgium it is not necessary to have a life phone line to get ADSL.
    > You can apply for ADSL on "raw copper" at no extra cost (if you stay with
    > Belgacom ADSL)
    > Hence: perfectly possible to port your number to a voip provider, while
    > still keeping ADSL on the same line.
    >
    > Another advantage of ADSL on raw copper is that the bandwithh used for
    > phone
    > now becomes available: some providers offer Annex M (which incraeses the
    > max
    > uplaod to 3.5 Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M)
    >
    > Philippe,
    > Belgium.

    Correct me if I'm wrong Philippe, but isn't the 'de facto' telephone service
    in Belgium BRI?

    Here in the UK, ISDN lines in private houses is very rare, and
    I don't suppose removing the POTS service from a line will increase
    the available bandwidth for DSL in the slightest.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Apr 22, 2009
  10. "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > Correct me if I'm wrong Philippe, but isn't the 'de facto' telephone

    service
    > in Belgium BRI?
    > Here in the UK, ISDN lines in private houses is very rare, and
    > I don't suppose removing the POTS service from a line will increase
    > the available bandwidth for DSL in the slightest.

    Not really, most private connections are POTS, a small minority are ISDN
    As in the UK, we have "Annex A" for POTS and "Annex B" for ISDN
    ADSL 2+ Annex A has a (theoretical) 24 Mbit/s downstream and 1.4 Mbit/s
    upstream (depending on the distance from the DSLAM)
    You are right, by removing the POTS service you will not add substantially
    more bandwith
    The main difference between Annex A and Annex M is that the cut-off point
    between upstream and donstream is moved up - hence the upstream can use the
    full bandwith between 0 and 276 kHz (hence increases upstream to 3.5 Mbit/s
    I understand Annex M is not used on lines with POTS servcie on, because of
    the interference it causes to POTS lines ...

    Regarding cost
    Belgian Telecom service Belgacom (counterpart of your BT) offers ADSL on
    "raw copper" at the same price of ADSL on a active phone line. Hence you can
    save the monthly fee of your phone by canceling your phone subscription (and
    port your nr to a VOIP provider). Of course you can subscribe to the
    Belagcom VOIP service also (i-talk) ...

    Philippe Deleye, Apr 22, 2009
  11. Matt

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:17:08 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <49eebd26$0$2847$>,
    >Philippe Deleye <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Bodincus" <> wrote in message
    >>Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
    >>line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
    >>around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
    >>then port the old BT number to VoIP.
    >>
    >>Looks like very complicated in the UK to disconnect phone and ADSL.
    >>Here in Belgium it is not necessary to have a life phone line to get ADSL.
    >>You can apply for ADSL on "raw copper" at no extra cost (if you stay with
    >>Belgacom ADSL)
    >>Hence: perfectly possible to port your number to a voip provider, while
    >>still keeping ADSL on the same line.
    >>
    >>Another advantage of ADSL on raw copper is that the bandwithh used for phone
    >>now becomes available: some providers offer Annex M (which incraeses the max
    >>uplaod to 3.5 Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M)

    >This isn't here (yet) in the UK. I hear there are moves afoot, but if
    >it does happen, I suspect it will be some years down the road. (I think
    >the term I've heard used here is "dry copper")

    aka "Naked DSL". Still relatively unlikely to happen in the UK.

    >Some of the LLU operators could technically offer this, I guess, but
    >then you're tied into their ADSL platform, and LLU is now-where near
    >unicersal in the UK. Some exchanges in rural areas (like mine) will
    >never get LLU equipment. (Then again, I said that about ADSL, however...)
    >
    >Also, the cynic in me suspects that BT would still charge the same for it,
    >whether the line is connected to their telephone hardware or not!

    The common chargng model in parts of the world where it's available is
    to add a premium for naked DSL equal to the difference between MFP
    (=fully unbundled line) and SMPF (partially unbundled line). This is
    intended to cover the maintenance of the line which phone users
    implictly pay as part of their line rental.

    Mark, Apr 23, 2009