    I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    a mobile number to them?

    Chris Hills, Oct 13, 2007

  2. Chris Hills

    TheFug Guest

    Chris Hills schreef:
    > I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    > mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    > a mobile number to them?

    Yep, VoipCheap.com, and VoipBuster,will surely do just that,(i
    registered these ones myself), it's an option in their client software,
    you can fill in your phone number, they call you on that number
    (automatic voice)you dial the 4 numbers you see on your pc screen on
    that phone... that's it...
    but you need to repeat this procedure sometimes, then it stays.... until
    you change it again, or switch it off in their client software.
    Some SIP switches if you use online ones, will not pass through your
    CID, you have to check the/your options, with people who use the same
    hard/software as you do.

    --
    The Fug.

    TheFug, Oct 14, 2007

  3. Chris Hills

    acdeag Guest

    "TheFug" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Hills schreef:
    >> I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    >> mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    >> a mobile number to them?

    > Yep, VoipCheap.com, and VoipBuster,will surely do just that,(i registered
    > these ones myself), it's an option in their client software, you can fill
    > in your phone number, they call you on that number (automatic voice)you
    > dial the 4 numbers you see on your pc screen on that phone... that's it...
    > but you need to repeat this procedure sometimes, then it stays.... until
    > you change it again, or switch it off in their client software.
    > Some SIP switches if you use online ones, will not pass through your CID,
    > you have to check the/your options, with people who use the same
    > hard/software as you do.
    >
    > --
    > The Fug.

    I think you are confusing CLI and porting number. Many VOIP companies allow
    you to change the number displayed when you call someone, this is not the
    same as porting. Although if you call someone it will show your mobile
    number at the other end, if they call you it will go nowhere if the mobile
    number has been disconnected.

    I think your best bet would be to port the number to PAYG and leave a
    voicemail, I am not aware of any PAYG supplier who gives Call Diversion, if
    someone did you could divert calls to a standard VOIP geographic number, but
    it would still cost you.

    acdeag, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Chris Hills

    Jono Guest

    Chris Hills used his keyboard to write :
    > I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    > mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    > a mobile number to them?

    .........could you leave the SIM, in a premicell connected to an
    SPA3102, with someone you trust? I suppose you could bar outgoing calls
    on the SIM....

    Jono, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Chris Hills

    Iain Guest

    Chris Hills wrote:
    > I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    > mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    > a mobile number to them?

    If you can get hold of an Orange VM OVP sim card on a business account,
    then port your number to that, you could enable everyphone and point the
    everyphone destination to your voip number.

    Other than that (and it won't be easy), I doubt you can.

    Iain, Oct 14, 2007
  6. Chris Hills

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > ........could you leave the SIM, in a premicell connected to an SPA3102,
    > with someone you trust? I suppose you could bar outgoing calls on the
    > SIM....

    Or use a direct GSM gateway.

    Tim

    Tim, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Chris Hills

    Chris Hills Guest

    Chris Hills wrote:
    > I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    > mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    > a mobile number to them?

    Thank you all for the ideas, I like the idea of using an FCT, that
    hadn't occurred to me! I think though I will have do go down the prepaid
    route because it would be a lot less hassle.

    Chris Hills, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Chris Hills

    Jono Guest

    Tim presented the following explanation :
    > Jono wrote:
    >>
    >> ........could you leave the SIM, in a premicell connected to an SPA3102,
    >> with someone you trust? I suppose you could bar outgoing calls on the
    >> SIM....

    > Or use a direct GSM gateway.

    Any more details on one?

    Jono, Oct 14, 2007
  9. Chris Hills

    acdeag Guest

    "Iain" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Hills wrote:
    >> I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    >> mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    >> a mobile number to them?

    > If you can get hold of an Orange VM OVP sim card on a business account,
    > then port your number to that, you could enable everyphone and point the
    > everyphone destination to your voip number.
    >
    > Other than that (and it won't be easy), I doubt you can.

    I thought Everyphone was only available to business customers, to whom OVP
    VM is not available.

    acdeag, Oct 14, 2007
  10. Chris Hills

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    >> Or use a direct GSM gateway.

    > Any more details on one?

    We've been looking at 2.

    One expensive, one cheap.

    I can't remember which though.

    Tim

    Tim, Oct 14, 2007
  11. Chris Hills

    TheFug Guest

    Tim schreef:
    > Jono wrote:
    >>> Or use a direct GSM gateway.

    >> Any more details on one?

    > We've been looking at 2.
    >
    > One expensive, one cheap.
    >
    > I can't remember which though.
    >
    > Tim

    You forgot your smiley

    :)

    --
    The Fug.

    TheFug, Oct 14, 2007
  12. Chris Hills

    TheFug Guest

    acdeag schreef:
    > "TheFug" <> wrote in message
    >> Chris Hills schreef:
    >>> I am planning on moving abroad, but I would really like to keep my
    >>> mobile phone number. Are there any voip providers that will let me port
    >>> a mobile number to them?

    >> Yep, VoipCheap.com, and VoipBuster,will surely do just that,(i
    >> registered these ones myself), it's an option in their client
    >> software, you can fill in your phone number, they call you on that
    >> number (automatic voice)you dial the 4 numbers you see on your pc
    >> screen on that phone... that's it...
    >> but you need to repeat this procedure sometimes, then it stays....
    >> until you change it again, or switch it off in their client software.
    >> Some SIP switches if you use online ones, will not pass through your
    >> CID, you have to check the/your options, with people who use the same
    >> hard/software as you do.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Fug.

    > I think you are confusing CLI and porting number. Many VOIP companies
    > allow you to change the number displayed when you call someone, this is
    > not the same as porting. Although if you call someone it will show your
    > mobile number at the other end, if they call you it will go nowhere if
    > the mobile number has been disconnected.
    >
    > I think your best bet would be to port the number to PAYG and leave a
    > voicemail, I am not aware of any PAYG supplier who gives Call Diversion,
    > if someone did you could divert calls to a standard VOIP geographic
    > number, but it would still cost you.

    Porting a connection ! not a number ...i guess...

    --
    The Fug.

    TheFug, Oct 14, 2007
  13. Chris Hills

    Iain Guest

    acdeag wrote:

    > I thought Everyphone was only available to business customers, to whom
    > OVP VM is not available.

    You thought wrong. I have OVP VM on a business account, with everyphone.

    Iain

    Iain, Oct 14, 2007
  14. Chris Hills

    John Miller Guest

    > Many VOIP companies allow you to change the
    > number displayed when you call someone

    Can you please name me a few, apart from the Betamax ones?

    John Miller, Oct 15, 2007
  15. Chris Hills

    acdeag Guest

    "John Miller" <> wrote in message
    >> Many VOIP companies allow you to change the
    >> number displayed when you call someone

    > Can you please name me a few, apart from the Betamax ones?

    voip.co.uk if that is a betamax one for you all well and good, but I find
    them excellent. I know there are others but I don't use them.

    acdeag, Oct 15, 2007
  16. Chris Hills

    Jono Guest

    John Miller has brought this to us :
    >> Many VOIP companies allow you to change the
    >> number displayed when you call someone

    > Can you please name me a few, apart from the Betamax ones?

    voip.co.uk
    voipfone.co.uk
    gradwell.com

    Jono, Oct 15, 2007