Porting a landline number to a VoIP provider - with a twist!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Linker3000, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Hi,

    I have tons of landlines managed by Company 'A', who have 'taken them
    over' from BT and do Carrier Preselect etc. for us.

    I want to port one number to a VoIP provider - Company 'B'.

    B has sent me a form to authorise the porting - the form requires the BT
    account number for the line - which it doesn't have as far as *we* are
    concerned.

    I have spoken to 'Sales' at A and they say they will have to release the
    line back to BT and we *may* be locked into a 12 month contract with BT
    before we can port it out again!?

    I have spoken to a techie at A who has found the BT account number they
    have for the line as they have to still rent it from BT on our behalf.

    I am trying to bang A and B's heads together on this to arrange a direct
    port between them, but they seem to not have done this before (ie: port
    a number that is no longer with BT) - so does anyone hereabouts have
    experience of porting to a VoIP provider when then line's already with a
    non-BT service provider?

    I can see that the form could be filled in by the line's current
    'keepers' (A), but is that likely to work - neither A nor B can give me
    a straight answer to that one rather than 'well we can give it a go and
    see what happens'.

    Thanks.

    Linker3000, Aug 15, 2007

  2. hi Linker,

    I don't understand your question. what you said is a basic function
    for an FXO gateway. please have a look at
    http://www.telecomchinasourcing.com/knowledge/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17
    .. the first diagram is as same as what you will deploy.

    The authentication method could be many kind. in you case, I think the
    voip provider need the BT line's phonenumber. you could just configure
    it into your gateway. when the BT line recieve calls from PSTN, it can
    start a voip calls with your BT line's number. The Shang308 can do it.
    Is that what you want?

    Hawk

    Linker3000

    Telecomchinasourcing.com, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Linker3000

    Jono Guest

    Linker3000 explained :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have tons of landlines managed by Company 'A', who have 'taken them over'
    > from BT and do Carrier Preselect etc. for us.
    >
    > I want to port one number to a VoIP provider - Company 'B'.
    >
    > B has sent me a form to authorise the porting - the form requires the BT
    > account number for the line - which it doesn't have as far as *we* are
    > concerned.
    >
    > I have spoken to 'Sales' at A and they say they will have to release the line
    > back to BT and we *may* be locked into a 12 month contract with BT before we
    > can port it out again!?

    Because Company 'B' do not have a porting agreement with Company 'A'

    > I have spoken to a techie at A who has found the BT account number they have
    > for the line as they have to still rent it from BT on our behalf.

    This will not help - the account number at BT is a Wholesale/Openreach
    account number - you need to quote an account number with BT Retail

    > I am trying to bang A and B's heads together on this to arrange a direct port
    > between them, but they seem to not have done this before (ie: port a number
    > that is no longer with BT) - so does anyone hereabouts have experience of
    > porting to a VoIP provider when then line's already with a non-BT service
    > provider?

    Only that I fell at the same hurdles as you.

    > I can see that the form could be filled in by the line's current 'keepers'
    > (A), but is that likely to work - neither A nor B can give me a straight
    > answer to that one rather than 'well we can give it a go and see what
    > happens'.

    In theory it should work. Clearly it is technically possible. In
    practise it seems not to be, without both parties having a valid
    porting agreement.

    You might have to bite the bullet if it's important to do - the most it
    will cost is £70 plus a bit of line rental (which you'll be paying
    anyway). Make sure you ask BT to take it over as a Residential line.
    <http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Exch_Lines_boo/0002_d0e63.htm#0002-d0e63>

    BTW, which compnay is Company 'B'?

    Jono, Aug 15, 2007
  4. Jono wrote:
    > Linker3000 explained :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have tons of landlines managed by Company 'A', who have 'taken them
    >> over' from BT and do Carrier Preselect etc. for us.
    >>
    >> I want to port one number to a VoIP provider - Company 'B'.
    >>
    >> B has sent me a form to authorise the porting - the form requires the
    >> BT account number for the line - which it doesn't have as far as *we*
    >> are concerned.
    >>
    >> I have spoken to 'Sales' at A and they say they will have to release
    >> the line back to BT and we *may* be locked into a 12 month contract
    >> with BT before we can port it out again!?

    > Because Company 'B' do not have a porting agreement with Company 'A'
    >
    >> I have spoken to a techie at A who has found the BT account number
    >> they have for the line as they have to still rent it from BT on our
    >> behalf.

    > This will not help - the account number at BT is a Wholesale/Openreach
    > account number - you need to quote an account number with BT Retail
    >
    >> I am trying to bang A and B's heads together on this to arrange a
    >> direct port between them, but they seem to not have done this before
    >> (ie: port a number that is no longer with BT) - so does anyone
    >> hereabouts have experience of porting to a VoIP provider when then
    >> line's already with a non-BT service provider?

    > Only that I fell at the same hurdles as you.
    >
    >> I can see that the form could be filled in by the line's current
    >> 'keepers' (A), but is that likely to work - neither A nor B can give
    >> me a straight answer to that one rather than 'well we can give it a go
    >> and see what happens'.

    > In theory it should work. Clearly it is technically possible. In
    > practise it seems not to be, without both parties having a valid porting
    > agreement.

    Well, this seems to vary. We have in the past, managed to port numbers
    off BTWholesale resellers, but it is tricky to find the right account
    number.

    - because, the porting agreement is with VoIP provider and BT Openreach,
    and BT Retail is as much of an OpenReach customer as anyone else is.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Aug 15, 2007
  5. hi

    > Well, this seems to vary. We have in the past, managed to port numbers
    > off BTWholesale resellers, but it is tricky to find the right account
    > number.

    Just to confirm, we've ported off unicom, adept and onebill thus far.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Aug 15, 2007
  6. Linker3000

    Lurch Guest

    Re: Re: Porting a landline number to a VoIP provider - with a twist!

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:16:31 -0700, "Telecomchinasourcing.com"
    <> mused:

    >hi Linker,
    >
    >I don't understand your question. what you said is a basic function
    >for an FXO gateway. please have a look at
    >http://www.wesellshite.com/noknowledge/nodules.php?name=somecrap
    >. the first diagram is as same as what you will deploy.
    >
    >The authentication method could be many kind. in you case, I think the
    >voip provider need the BT line's phonenumber. you could just configure
    >it into your gateway. when the BT line recieve calls from PSTN, it can
    >start a voip calls with your BT line's number. The Shang308 can do it.
    >Is that what you want?

    Get bent spammer.
    --
    Regards,
    Stuart.

    Lurch, Aug 15, 2007
  7. Linker3000

    Jono Guest

    Peter Gradwell explained :
    > hi
    >
    >> Well, this seems to vary. We have in the past, managed to port numbers off
    >> BTWholesale resellers, but it is tricky to find the right account number.

    > Just to confirm, we've ported off unicom, adept and onebill thus far.

    Hi Peter,

    It was your Jamie that I was attempting a port with.

    I was able to provide him with the Wholesale/Openreach SP Onebill
    account number.

    Can you ellaborate on the account number? What format does it take? Is
    there a way of experimenting/testing the water now you've succeeded?

    Jono, Aug 15, 2007
  8. Jono wrote:
    > Peter Gradwell explained :
    >> hi
    >>
    >>> Well, this seems to vary. We have in the past, managed to port
    >>> numbers off BTWholesale resellers, but it is tricky to find the right
    >>> account number.

    >> Just to confirm, we've ported off unicom, adept and onebill thus far.
    >>

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > It was your Jamie that I was attempting a port with.
    >
    > I was able to provide him with the Wholesale/Openreach SP Onebill
    > account number.
    >
    > Can you ellaborate on the account number? What format does it take? Is
    > there a way of experimenting/testing the water now you've succeeded?

    well, we can put your port through.

    can you email me the ticket/reference for the porting request at our end?

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Aug 16, 2007
  9. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > hi
    >
    >> Well, this seems to vary. We have in the past, managed to port numbers
    >> off BTWholesale resellers, but it is tricky to find the right account
    >> number.

    > Just to confirm, we've ported off unicom, adept and onebill thus far.
    >
    > cheers
    > peter

    Thanks, Peter, I will see how I can progress this.

    Linker3000, Aug 18, 2007
  10. Linker3000

    V C L Guest

    Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble - i have a company in the
    industry and i mself have been messed about the same way so i know how it
    feels - frustrating does not cover it - anyway the truth is you are right
    they are wrong and they are being their normal dumb arsy selves - keep
    nagging and you will get the right answer in the end. Lets face it, its not
    rocket science is it.

    Alex

    V C L, Aug 29, 2007
  11. Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > hi
    >
    >> Well, this seems to vary. We have in the past, managed to port numbers
    >> off BTWholesale resellers, but it is tricky to find the right account
    >> number.

    > Just to confirm, we've ported off unicom, adept and onebill thus far.

    And Southern Communications Ltd. :)

    Thomas Kenyon, Sep 6, 2007