Portal through which Canadian can call U.S. toll-free number that is blocked to non-U.S. Callers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls, for
    business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)

    Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from outside
    the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free number,
    I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
    with the company that I'm calling.

    Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
    would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
    non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number would
    place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.

    As always, thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Martin

    Guest

    On Jun 11, 5:41 pm, "Martin" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls, for
    > business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)
    >
    > Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from outside
    > the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free number,
    > I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
    > with the company that I'm calling.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
    > would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
    > non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number would
    > place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.
    >
    > As always, thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Martin

    I have wondered if it would be possible to use a VoIP phone in Canada
    and have the provider assign a US area code. I am familiar with the
    Packet8 business system here in California and it allows me to take my
    phone and use it anywhere theres an internet connection. People that
    call my number get routed directly tp my phone. I don't know if this
    is true fpr all VoIP phone systems or only the ones using a Virtual
    PBX system.

    , Jun 12, 2007

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    As a matter of fact, I'm a customer of Vonage USA, and have a line and
    number with an American area code.

    Though I'm in Canada, the fact that I'm on the Vonage platform allows me to
    call all numbers in the US, even those that are blocked to non-American
    callers.

    As far as the circuitry is concerned, so to speak, I'm calling from *within*
    the States.

    I don't know if it's being on Vonage (whether Vonage Canada or Vonage USA)
    that allows me to call otherwise blocked numbers, or if it's due to my
    American area code that allows me to call through to the party that I'm
    calling.

    The reason for my post is that I may be disconnecting Vonage, and will need
    a substitute once I'm back on a Canadian calling platform.

    As far as your post is concerned, Vonage Canada provides lines only with
    Canadian area codes, though one can get an American, Canadian or overseas
    virtual number. Equally, Vonage USA offers lines only with U.S. area codes
    and virtual numbers that are American, Canadian or overseas.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Martin

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:36:44 -0700, wrote:

    >I have wondered if it would be possible to use a VoIP phone in Canada
    >and have the provider assign a US area code. I am familiar with the
    >Packet8 business system here in California and it allows me to take my
    >phone and use it anywhere theres an internet connection. People that
    >call my number get routed directly tp my phone. I don't know if this
    >is true fpr all VoIP phone systems or only the ones using a Virtual
    >PBX system.

    I doubt it.

    I have Packet8, and have a 510 area code number. I cannot call a local
    radio stations 800 # (the recording says something about number not
    available in my area) yet on my POTS line, same area code, I can call
    fine.

    Evan Platt, Jun 12, 2007
  5. Martin

    Plato Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls, for
    > business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)
    >
    > Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from outside
    > the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free number,
    > I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
    > with the company that I'm calling.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
    > would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
    > non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number would
    > place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.

    I dont know the answer, but yes, I have started to experience the same
    even calling from the USA to "toll free" numbers. Seems like the phone
    companies are limiting the real toll free numbers to some countries.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 14, 2007