    what certainly LOOKED like a 4:3 screen on it... perfect for those people who
    want a portable but don't want their fullscreen collection to look bad...

    Nothing like perpetuating a hopeless format.

    Wade365, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Wade365

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Wade365
    <> wrote:

    > I was poking around Best Buy today and I saw an off-brand portable DVD with
    > what certainly LOOKED like a 4:3 screen on it... perfect for those people who
    > want a portable but don't want their fullscreen collection to look bad...
    >
    > Nothing like perpetuating a hopeless format.

    You know, a portable like that would be PERFECT for watching movies and
    tv shows made in the 4:3 ratio! It would make a good companion to my
    old 16:9 portable player.

    Not everything was ment to be watched on a wide screen.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Wade365

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Wade365) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I was poking around Best Buy today and I saw an off-brand portable DVD with
    > what certainly LOOKED like a 4:3 screen on it... perfect for those people who
    > want a portable but don't want their fullscreen collection to look bad...
    >
    > Nothing like perpetuating a hopeless format.

    OTOH it would be great for watching Star Trek or Prisoner episodes...

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Wade365

    Shinner Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote in

    > (Wade365) wrote in message
    >> I was poking around Best Buy today and I saw an off-brand portable
    >> DVD with what certainly LOOKED like a 4:3 screen on it... perfect for
    >> those people who want a portable but don't want their fullscreen
    >> collection to look bad...
    >>
    >> Nothing like perpetuating a hopeless format.

    > OTOH it would be great for watching Star Trek or Prisoner episodes...

    Nonsense....watch the picture, not the bars on the side. It's widescreen or
    nothing dammit and anyone who says otherwise shouldn't even own a dvd
    player.

    Shinner, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Wade365

    Mark W Guest

    > Nonsense....watch the picture, not the bars on the side. It's widescreen

    or
    > nothing dammit and anyone who says otherwise shouldn't even own a dvd
    > player.

    Yes.... but only 2.35:1 commands any respect. 1.85:1 is for losers and
    retards. Anyone who watches a 1.85:1 film on a DVD player should have their
    eyes poked out.

    Mark W, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Wade365

    Shinner Guest

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in news::

    >> Nonsense....watch the picture, not the bars on the side. It's
    >> widescreen

    > or
    >> nothing dammit and anyone who says otherwise shouldn't even own a dvd
    >> player.
    >>

    > Yes.... but only 2.35:1 commands any respect. 1.85:1 is for losers and
    > retards. Anyone who watches a 1.85:1 film on a DVD player should have
    > their eyes poked out.

    I thought that went without saying :)

    Shinner, Nov 25, 2003
  7. >Yes.... but only 2.35:1 commands any respect. 1.85:1 is for losers and
    >retards. Anyone who watches a 1.85:1 film on a DVD player should have their
    >eyes poked out.

    Come now. There are a lot of notably great films that were done in matted
    widescreen. They just don't have the epic appeal that a Panavision film has.
    Some 1.85:1 films didn't deserve to be put on such a low grade aspect ratio.

    As for me, my preference is, of course, 2.35:1 and am happy that many films I
    enjoy, including "Firefox" and "Escape from New York" has seen release in their
    original Panavision formats in anamorphic DVDs. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Wade365

    John Savard Guest

    On 25 Nov 2003 18:28:22 GMT, (Wade365) wrote, in part:

    >I was poking around Best Buy today and I saw an off-brand portable DVD with
    >what certainly LOOKED like a 4:3 screen on it...

    Well, they make a lot of 4:3 liquid crystal screens for laptops, and
    so they're probably available cheaper than special 16:9 ones. So that
    probably allowed the player to be made available at a lower price.

    Plus, DVDs themselves are round, so this let the player be made
    smaller.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Nov 26, 2003
  9. Wade365

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <3fc3d59a$0$388$>, Shinner
    <> wrote:

    > (Jordan Lund) wrote in
    >
    > > (Wade365) wrote in message
    > >> I was poking around Best Buy today and I saw an off-brand portable
    > >> DVD with what certainly LOOKED like a 4:3 screen on it... perfect for
    > >> those people who want a portable but don't want their fullscreen
    > >> collection to look bad...
    > >>
    > >> Nothing like perpetuating a hopeless format.

    > > OTOH it would be great for watching Star Trek or Prisoner episodes...

    > Nonsense....watch the picture, not the bars on the side.

    If the screen is the same width as widescreen players, then you'll get
    a much larger 4:3 image then you would "windowboxed" on a 16:9 screen.
    Admit it: 16:9 screens are good for widescreen movies, and 4:3 screens
    are best for "fullscreen" shows... and over half my dvd collection is
    shows for whom the propper OAR is 4:3.

    > It's widescreen or
    > nothing dammit and anyone who says otherwise shouldn't even own a dvd
    > player.

    Damn, now I have to throw out all my silent film dvds...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 26, 2003