    world.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:28:48 -0400, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
    >worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
    >extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
    >know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
    >ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
    >slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
    >regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
    >world.

    Many of the VoIP providers provide a software phone. You'd just need a
    headset that plugs into the mike / earphones on the laptop.
    Evan Platt, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Steve Freides

    Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote:

    |>I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
    |>worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
    |>extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
    |>know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
    |>ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
    |>slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
    |>regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
    |>world.

    Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"

    http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

    --
    http://www.planarity.net/
    , Aug 1, 2005
  4. Steve Freides

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not
    > |>worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone
    > for
    > |>extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would
    > like to
    > |>know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
    > |>ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC
    > Card
    > |>slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone
    > calls
    > |>regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
    > |>world.
    >
    > Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"
    >
    > http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

    My company CEO and VP just put that on their PCs at work. We have contacts
    in Chile and the phone costs from the US were excessive. So far they've had
    good luck with it.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Steve Freides

    Preesi Guest

    wrote:
    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like
    >>> not to worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be
    >>> on the phone for extended periods of time. I have never used
    >>> voice-over-IP but would like to know if there is a solution that I
    >>> can carry, along with my laptop (IBM ThinkPad w/ docking station,
    >>> lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card slot, etc.), that
    >>> would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls regardless
    >>> of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the world.

    > Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"
    >
    > http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

    I hate to say this but Ive been using SIP Phone for crank calls for two
    years
    you get 5 minutes free calls a day.
    It doesnt show on CID and its the best way to verify a mans not married

    --
    preesi
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Preesi, Aug 1, 2005
  6. Steve Freides

    WormWood Guest

    "Preesi" <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    >> Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"
    >>
    >> http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

    > I hate to say this but Ive been using SIP Phone for crank calls for
    > two
    > years
    > you get 5 minutes free calls a day.
    > It doesnt show on CID and its the best way to verify a mans not
    > married

    uhm...would you run that past one more time?
    WormWood, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Steve Freides

    WCH Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
    > worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
    > extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
    > know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
    > ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
    > slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
    > regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
    > world.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-

    I'll vote for Vonage. You can pay to create a "soft phone" that's
    assessable from your PC using simply a headphone with mic as some other
    solutions work, but what I like about Vonage is that it's your everyday
    phone that is "transportable". Any internet connection (preferably
    high-speed of course) that I plug the tiny Vonage adapter into becomes
    the phone jack for my home phone. Anybody who calls you at your regular
    number will get you no matter where your Vonage is connected. $25 a
    month for a number that's local to your area code (you can even have
    your existing number transferred), unlimited local and long distance in
    US and Canada, cheap overseas rates, and every feature you can think of
    (conference calling, call waiting, voicemail, etc etc). It will send
    you an email when you get voicemail. You can have calls automatically
    forwarded. You can access every aspect of your account, including
    voicemail, from any internet-connected computer. Very flexible, very
    cheap, and the people who call you don't know if you're in Brooklyn or
    Bangkok. There IS a charge for overseas calls, so solutions like Skype
    might be preferable in that regard, but Vonage is certainly worth
    considering.
    WCH, Aug 17, 2005