    WD , Seagate, etc - any advantage to any of them in this sized package ?
    or just ' look for the best deal' ?
    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Dec 6, 2010

  2. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Mac writes to external FAT32 ok ? That data can be read by a PC ?
    >
    > Friend has Toshiba windows laptop and needs more storage. She will also need
    > to copy "Apple Files" ( all I know) from school ( she's a teacher) to the
    > PC. None of the school files are THAT large - just convenience. Homework/
    > test templates etc. I suggested a small, portable, external hdd ( usb
    > power only - no external power brick) but wanted to check with someone that
    > has used a PC external drive on an Apple computer and could read/write
    > either way - Anyone ?
    >
    > I been reading that Apple can read NTFS and FAT32, but for her to copy FROM
    > school to the hdd and bring home and have PC read it, can I format it all
    > as FAT32 ? and just create a SCHOOL folder for moving data back and forth.
    >
    > IF this sounds Ok, any recommendations for one ?
    > WD , Seagate, etc - any advantage to any of them in this sized package ?
    > or just ' look for the best deal' ?
    > Thanks

    I don't really use my Mac much any more, but yes, FAT32 works fine.
    And I think that even worked, back in Mac OS 9 days.

    I'd use one of these. It uses a bit less power, and is more guaranteed
    to work on devices with limited bus power. On a Mac, you want one
    of the thinner ones - some of the higher capacity flash sticks are
    "double decker" designs, which might bump into the Macintosh keyboard
    connector. For the price ($9 for this one), you can afford to get a
    couple. So far, I haven't had a failure with the ones I own.

    Kingston DataTraveler 4GB $9
    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-139-255-Z03?$S640W$

    Some Macs only have USB 1.1 ports on them (that is what mine has got).
    In which case, transfer rate is around 1MB/sec. And it would be 1MB/sec
    in that case, whether the storage device was a USB 2.5" hard drive or
    a USB flash. And that is painfully slow, for file transfer.

    Macs after the one I bought, finally got USB2 and then transfer rate isn't
    an issue. On desktop Macs, one of the first additions you would get for it
    back in those days, was a USB2 PCI card. (Apple could easily have added
    USB2 if they wanted, well before it eventually arrived. But that
    conflicted with their promotion of Firewire.)

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 6, 2010

  3. - Bobb -

    Kele Guest

    Paul's answer is what I was thinking, but never had a MAC. Have used Flash
    memory sticks (Sandisk and PNY brands). Like Sandisk, but not the U3 file
    transfer/manager that's preloaded on their flash drives. Easy solution is
    format the drive and the U3 and its partition are clean. I've formatted
    flash drives to Fat32 and also the newer exFat. The exFat doesn't have the
    4GB transfer limit that Fat32 has. The speed testers say that Fat32, being
    a simpler file structure, is a little faster; I can't tell. But in the
    event a 4GB+ file transfer is needed to/from flash, can MAC deal with
    xFat? -Kele

    PS: I obtained the ability to format to exFat from a Microsoft download;
    exFat wasn't a right-click format option initially.

    Kele, Dec 7, 2010