Portable USB DVD drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, May 29, 2011.

  1. Are there any of these what will work on a Netbook..??

    I had a look at a review of one and it needed 1.5A 5V
    Frank Williams, May 29, 2011

  2. Frank Williams

    PeeCee Guest

    On 29/05/2011 8:46 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > Are there any of these what will work on a Netbook..??
    >
    > I had a look at a review of one and it needed 1.5A 5V

    Woger

    I have used this USB powered LG DVD external burner
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...A-E50L-Slim-Portable-External-USB-Super-Multi
    for 3 years now to reinstall OS's on Netbooks.

    Works just fine.

    It has a power socket on the back (5V 1.6A) for when the USB socket of
    the host device is unable to supply enough grunt to run the drive.

    You can plug a 5V 1.6A AC adaptor in if you had one to hand, or use the
    'USB to power plug' cord in the box so you could get the power needed
    from a second usb port.

    I've not had to use anything other than the one USB Cable.

    The
    PeeCee, May 30, 2011

  3. On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:31:32 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >On 29/05/2011 8:46 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>

    >> Are there any of these what will work on a Netbook..??
    >>
    >> I had a look at a review of one and it needed 1.5A 5V

    >Woger
    >
    >I have used this USB powered LG DVD external burner
    >http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...A-E50L-Slim-Portable-External-USB-Super-Multi
    >for 3 years now to reinstall OS's on Netbooks.
    >
    >Works just fine.
    >
    >It has a power socket on the back (5V 1.6A) for when the USB socket of
    >the host device is unable to supply enough grunt to run the drive.
    >
    >You can plug a 5V 1.6A AC adaptor in if you had one to hand, or use the
    >'USB to power plug' cord in the box so you could get the power needed
    >from a second usb port.
    >
    >I've not had to use anything other than the one USB Cable.
    >
    >The

    Thanks

    PBtech does not seem to list USB DVD Drives.?

    But it will need to be complete with PSU, I am totally fed up trying to
    find compatible Power Packs with the correct connecter, and I cant stand
    the ones with the Adapters on the ends, for to easy to get the power
    the wrong way.

    So for have managed very well with a USB stick with 2 DVD's.

    I have some Logitech Speakers the version that is sold here comes with
    no power pack, but its shown in the manual.

    Is it possible to connecter Stereo speakers to mic/speaker socket as its
    a 4 way 3.5mm socket or do the short out, I've been looking for a
    adapter cable with no luck at all.

    This site seems to give a good listing that is out there, but could be a
    bit out of date.

    http://external-dvd-burner-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Frank Williams, May 30, 2011
  4. Frank Williams

    Squiggle Guest

    On 30/05/2011 3:19 p.m., Frank Williams threw some characters down the
    intarwebs:

    > But it will need to be complete with PSU, I am totally fed up trying to
    > find compatible Power Packs with the correct connecter, and I cant stand
    > the ones with the Adapters on the ends, for to easy to get the power
    > the wrong way.
    >
    > So for have managed very well with a USB stick with 2 DVD's.

    If you are not worried about portability get this ->
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Audio/auction-379320323.htm

    and any normal dvd drive, problem solved.
    Squiggle, May 30, 2011