    Is there such a company that manufacture/sell this type of product?

    Thanks in advance

    Neelam
    Neelam, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Neelam

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3f657c7b$>, "Neelam" <nospam @ iprolink
    ..co.nz> says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Can anyone here suggest or point me in the right direction with this.
    > Im looking to purchase a portable USB CD/DVD ROM drive, similar in size to
    > what Dell/IBM use in their modular laptop drive bays. The device must be
    > bus powered. ie no external power supply.
    >
    > Is there such a company that manufacture/sell this type of product?

    I think you're asking a lot for bus power, since there is a practical
    limit to the amount of power that the USB bus can supply.
    Mainlander, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <3f657c7b$>, "Neelam" <nospam @
    > iprolink .co.nz> says...
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Can anyone here suggest or point me in the right direction with this.
    >> Im looking to purchase a portable USB CD/DVD ROM drive, similar in
    >> size to what Dell/IBM use in their modular laptop drive bays. The
    >> device must be bus powered. ie no external power supply.
    >>
    >> Is there such a company that manufacture/sell this type of product?

    > I think you're asking a lot for bus power, since there is a practical
    > limit to the amount of power that the USB bus can supply.

    500 milliamps@5V for "High powered" devices, I think. 100ma for "Low
    powered" devices.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Neelam

    Neelam Guest

    Id thought about power consumption, but then again with a laptop, the last
    thing you want is an external device and then another psu for it, etc...

    Addonics have a PocketDrive DVD which is bus powered, has anyone here had
    any experience with their quality?

    I wouldnt expect the drives to have heavy use, just the occasional
    installation or doc/ppt. but Id expect a fairly rugged build quality.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks
    Neelam

    Neelam, Sep 16, 2003