    lap top.

    Thanks

    Don

    Don, May 25, 2004

  2. Don

    Don Guest

    Sure. I have one called MindStor made by Minds @ Work, originally called
    the Digital Wallet, which I use when traveliing. Unfortunately they are out
    of business now, but there are a lot of other brands. Try a google search
    for "portable digital storage. I got 2,500,000 hits.

    Don

    Don, May 25, 2004

  3. Don

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Don"

    >Is there any type of portable storage device such as a portable hard drive
    >that would allow dumping images from a card onto a hard drive without the
    >use of a computer. This would be much more convenient than carrying around a
    >lap top.

    Go to www.bhphotovideo.com and click 'digital photography' then under 'computer
    imaging' click 'data transfer and storage devices', then 'stand alone data
    storage' to see what's available ... looks like 15 different brands and dozens
    of models.

    I'm eyeballing the Nixvue myself at the moment ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 25, 2004
  4. Don

    Frank ess Guest

    Don wrote:
    > Is there any type of portable storage device such as a portable hard
    > drive that would allow dumping images from a card onto a hard drive
    > without the use of a computer. This would be much more convenient
    > than carrying around a lap top.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    These write to CD, read DVD, battery or ac convertor operated:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/RDS/RDS.HTM

    Review of the same item with a different name:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/addonics_mfr.html

    I've had one for a few weeks. It works. My only wishes are: it should be
    a little smaller and lighter; should fit in the very nice bag (supplied)
    without removing the external battery. Barring that, no complaints. I
    got mine from Addonics, two days turnaround from online order to front
    doorstep. Right at $300 with an extra battery.

    Frank ess, May 25, 2004
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks guys for the quick response.

    Don

    Don, May 25, 2004
  6. Don

    DR Guest

    Get an Ipod ... they sell adapters for media cards so you can plug your CF
    card for example into it and download all of your images to hte harddrive.
    Ipods go all the way up to 40gb and you'll have a cool music player

    -DR

    DR, May 25, 2004
  7. "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any type of portable storage device such as a portable hard

    drive
    > that would allow dumping images from a card onto a hard drive

    without the
    > use of a computer. This would be much more convenient than carrying

    around a
    > lap top.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    There quite a few devices like this. I use a 40 GB Tripper that I got
    from www.mydigitaldiscount.com. They cary other brands and storage
    devices.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, May 25, 2004
  8. Don

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Don wrote:

    > Is there any type of portable storage device such as a portable hard drive
    > that would allow dumping images from a card onto a hard drive without the
    > use of a computer. This would be much more convenient than carrying around a
    > lap top.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Don

    Yes, there are several. Now won't someone explain to me why companies
    like Apple and Creative who make 20-40 gig drives for music don't put in
    the software to collect pictures from cameras as well?

    Ron Hunter, May 26, 2004
  9. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Yes, there are several. Now won't someone explain to me why companies
    > like Apple and Creative who make 20-40 gig drives for music don't put in
    > the software to collect pictures from cameras as well?

    - so they can seel you a second box to do that?

    - so they can charge you for a software upgrade?

    - because (they perceive) there is no market for it?

    - because there are so many different naming and formatting standards?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 26, 2004