    will also play a video DVD?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Apr 5, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    Michael Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Was wandering around Circuit City and Best Buy today looking at these

    things.

    > Looks like what I want would be in the 7-10" size.
    >
    > What I saw was about $400-500 for something that will play a DVD, but not

    do
    > much else and which has about 2-3 hours of playtime in the battery.
    >
    > Walked over to the laptop computer area of Best Buy and saw 15 or 17"

    name-brand
    > laptops for under a thousand.
    >
    > Made me wonder what's available in the laptop line to somebody who would

    be
    > happy with a screen even smaller than 15"...
    >
    > I'm thinking terms of a "travel companion" here...and having

    MusicMatch/MP3's
    > and something like DeLorme StreetAtlas or Microsoft MapPoint on the thing

    as
    > well would seem to outweigh the increase in size.
    >
    > Any thoughts on laptops or notebooks with screens of 10" or even

    less...that
    > will also play a video DVD?

    In most laptops you won't get much longer than 2 hours battery time playing
    a DVD. Also, most laptops these days have TV out so that you can hook it up
    to a reg. TV, much like the small portable players you're looking at.

    I travel a lot and need a laptop. Buying a portable one in my case would be
    redundant. However, if you're going out of town for less than a week and
    don't need access to a computer, the portable DVD-screen players is probably
    more than adequate. But for a little more, people would be better off
    getting a laptop I suppose.
    Michael, Apr 5, 2004