    I need a scanner that can store several dozen images, and allow me to
    download the images to my PC when I get home. Is a digital camera my
    only practical(?!) option?
    Radical1, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Radical1

    HRosita Guest

    >Radical1 wrote:

    >Is a digital camera my
    >only practical(?!) option?

    Yes, I believe so. My husband is into Genealogical research and we bought the
    Nikon coolpix 990 just for that reason because of it's good macro capability.

    Rosita
    HRosita, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Radical1

    Charlie Guest

    On 15 Jul 2003 10:11:42 -0700, (Radical1) wrote:

    >Is there a portable photo scanner available which does not require a
    >PC connection to operate? I will be in a very rural area doing
    >genealogical research and will not have access to photocopy services.
    >I need a scanner that can store several dozen images, and allow me to
    >download the images to my PC when I get home. Is a digital camera my
    >only practical(?!) option?

    I think the digital camera is a good option, but not the only one. A
    notebook PC with a USB port, and a lightweight scanner like the Canon
    LIDE 20, which is powered from the USB, should work very well. You
    might need to include an aux. battery for additional service time, as
    the extra drain on your notebook battery will be significant.
    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    If you really want to reply via email, my valid
    Charlie, Jul 15, 2003