Portable Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Me/PDX, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Me/PDX

    Me/PDX Guest

    Using XP Home Edition.
    Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    Not currently using any Backup Software.
    Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto my
    Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents (From my
    C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard drive.
    ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard drive is
    My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of ALL the folders and
    files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
    Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) is used instead of just the 4.41GB (1)
    My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
    So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there is a
    full and complete duplication of My Documents.
    How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My Docunents and
    the portable hard drive?
    Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

    Me/PDX, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Me/PDX

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    > Using XP Home Edition.
    > Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    > Not currently using any Backup Software.
    > Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto my
    > Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    > Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents (From my
    > C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard drive.
    > ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard drive is
    > My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of ALL the folders and
    > files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
    > Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) is used instead of just the 4.41GB
    > (1)
    > My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
    > So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there is a
    > full and complete duplication of My Documents.
    > How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My Docunents
    > and
    > the portable hard drive?

    Delete the other one!!!

    Rich Wilson, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Me/PDX

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Dnsjf.7501$,
    Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    > "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    >> Using XP Home Edition.
    >> Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    >> Not currently using any Backup Software.
    >> Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto
    >> my Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    >> Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents
    >> (From my C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard
    >> drive. ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable
    >> hard drive is My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of
    >> ALL the folders and files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
    >> Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) is used instead of just the
    >> 4.41GB (1)
    >> My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
    >> So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there
    >> is a full and complete duplication of My Documents.
    >> How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My
    >> Docunents and
    >> the portable hard drive?

    > Delete the other one!!!

    <g> My thoughts exactly! <g>

    --
    There's nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Me/PDX

    Mitch Guest

    In article <ansjf.3368$Y%>, Me/PDX
    <> wrote:

    > Using XP Home Edition.
    > Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    > Not currently using any Backup Software.
    > Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto my
    > Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    > Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents (From my
    > C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard drive.
    > ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard drive is
    > My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of ALL the folders and
    > files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
    > Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) is used instead of just the 4.41GB (1)
    > My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
    > So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there is a
    > full and complete duplication of My Documents.
    > How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My Docunents and
    > the portable hard drive?
    > Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

    Is it a matter of method? You don't know how to do it?

    Open the folder, find the My Documents folder that is on the inside of
    the first one.
    Drop that inside one into the Trash.
    Check the info for both; make sure they are the same size and have the
    same number of content items.

    Then delete the trash contents.

    Mitch, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Me/PDX

    Won Dampchin Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:
    > "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    >> Using XP Home Edition.
    >> Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    >> Not currently using any Backup Software.
    >> Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto
    >> my Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
    >> Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents
    >> (From my C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable hard
    >> drive. ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) portable
    >> hard drive is My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of
    >> ALL the folders and files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
    >> Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F:) is used instead of just the
    >> 4.41GB (1)
    >> My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
    >> So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there
    >> is a full and complete duplication of My Documents.
    >> How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My
    >> Docunents and
    >> the portable hard drive?

    > Delete the other one!!!

    I have to applaud your briefly stated and elegant solution. They don't come
    around too often, and deserve special notice! (;^) !!!

    Regards ...

    Won Dampchin, Jan 4, 2006