Portable DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John.P.McDevitt@gmail.com, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I had a $100 gift card from Best Buy that I got for free, so tonight I
    used part of it on a cheap Axion portable DVD player with a 4.2"
    screen. After rebate it will come out to just $50.

    I have not opened it yet though, and am beginning to have some second
    thoughts.

    I am a perfect candidate for a portable DVD player in general - I am on
    the train for 1.5 hours a day, and there are many, many old TV shows on
    DVD that I want to catch up on (I will get the bulk of these for free
    from the library or rental coupons). My only concern is the screen
    size and quality of the picture on this particular player. I can play
    Gameboy Advance just fine on the train, and that's less than half the
    screen size - but I hold it close to my face rather than down on my
    lap, which is where the DVD player will probably go.

    Does anybody have experience with this particular player, or anything
    similar? The other option is Insignia (BB's own brand) for $100, which
    is 7" - but the Geek Squad guy even told me he would take an Axion over
    an Insignia. The next level up is around $200, and I don't want to go
    that high at this point.

    So for a guy who'll be watching episodes of Miami Vice, Columbo, and
    Dynasty rather than the latest CGI movies, do you think this player is
    acceptable?
    , Feb 26, 2006

  2. Guest

    On 25 Feb 2006 18:15:17 -0800, wrote:

    >So for a guy who'll be watching episodes of Miami Vice, Columbo, and
    >Dynasty rather than the latest CGI movies, do you think this player is
    >acceptable?

    If I can say this w/o sounding snarky, I suggest books. Audio books
    on tape are good if you don't like reading on trains. Imagination is
    more colorful than that small screen.

    Otherwise, save up and buy a cheap laptop.
    , Feb 26, 2006

  3. Aphelion Guest

    >I had a $100 gift card from Best Buy that I got for free, so tonight I
    > used part of it on a cheap Axion portable DVD player with a 4.2"
    > screen. After rebate it will come out to just $50.

    I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 7" screen portable. Something
    like that will be more than adequate for any content.

    Aphelion
    Aphelion, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Tardo Guest

    wrote in news:1140920117.387645.174290
    @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    > Does anybody have experience with this particular player, or anything
    > similar? The other option is Insignia (BB's own brand) for $100, which
    > is 7" - but the Geek Squad guy even told me he would take an Axion over
    > an Insignia. The next level up is around $200, and I don't want to go
    > that high at this point.
    >
    > So for a guy who'll be watching episodes of Miami Vice, Columbo, and
    > Dynasty rather than the latest CGI movies, do you think this player is
    > acceptable?

    I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 7". I bought a Polaroid (PDM-0723)
    from Circuit City and I'm extremely happy with it. I picked it up for
    $114.99 (after savings and rebate).

    www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polaroid-7-Portable-DVD-Player-PDM-
    0723-/sem/rpsm/oid/121398/catOid/-12872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    Tardo, Feb 27, 2006