    but I need the best support for pictures.

    I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

    Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?
    Duram, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Duram

    Robert Guest

    "Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
    > but I need the best support for pictures.
    >
    > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
    >
    > Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?

    Duram,

    I just bought an Epson "P2000," a portable drive, 40 GB, that has a small
    screen 3" x 2ΒΌ" where one can view photos on a screen screen.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.asp

    Quote for the above web page:

    "The key features of the Epson P-2000 include a 3.8 inch VGA (640x480) high
    definition Photo Fine display that offers a resolution of 212 pixels per
    inch (ppi). You can store and view your photo albums, create slide shows and
    connect to your photo printer, computer or TV. The Epson P-2000 is
    approximately twice as fast as its predecessor when viewing photos and has a
    battery life of up to three hours."

    They have a "P4000" also that is the same but a larger disk. Have never used
    the "P2000" or the "P4000" on a trip as trip as yet, but this one is much
    better than the old Digital Wallet I own. The "Digital Wallet" has a very
    small screen but shows only listings of the photos taken. I been carrying
    around a small laptop for storage while on a trip. The URL below has some of
    my photos shown by clicking on highlighted text.

    http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/cruise/Cruise.html

    I'm not a pro. More of my travel reports with photos at:

    http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/naborsindex/

    Bob
    Robert, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Duram

    Malcolm Guest

    > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

    Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
    it.)

    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Duram

    Jon B Guest

    Malcolm <> wrote:

    > > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

    > Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
    > it.)

    I think any of the iPods with a dock connector, support the belkin media
    reader, the photo models then add functionality for the Apple photo
    connector doobery who's name escapes me, but that allows you to connect
    your camera direct to the iPod.

    However, I don't think any of these allow immediate playback on the
    iPod, you have to then hook up to your pac/mac later to drop the images
    onto your machine. I think then iPhoto syncs up the thumbnails and that
    is what the iPhoto allows you to see.
    --
    Jon B
    Above email address IS valid.
    Jon B, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Duram

    Hunt Guest

    In article <1hahrvv.appzbf1p2ga4kN%>, black.
    says...

    >Malcolm <> wrote:
    >
    >> > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

    >> Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
    >> it.)
    >>

    >I think any of the iPods with a dock connector, support the belkin media
    >reader, the photo models then add functionality for the Apple photo
    >connector doobery who's name escapes me, but that allows you to connect
    >your camera direct to the iPod.
    >
    >However, I don't think any of these allow immediate playback on the
    >iPod, you have to then hook up to your pac/mac later to drop the images
    >onto your machine. I think then iPhoto syncs up the thumbnails and that
    >is what the iPhoto allows you to see.
    >--
    >Jon B
    >Above email address IS valid.
    ><http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

    Unless I have missed something, concerning the 5G iPod, the biggest drawback
    is having to go through the iTunes software for manipulating/moving/etc. the
    images. With other products, like the aforementioned Epsons, it is a more
    direct process, bi-directionally. Again, maybe I've missed something. Putting
    images on wife's 5G involved far more activity, than color/density correcting
    a 4GB CF card full of RAW images in Photoshop! It worked, but there were far
    too many steps involved.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Duram

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Duram writes ...
    >
    > Which is the best for digital photos?

    Just returned from a lengthy trip to Africa with two full-time pros and
    several other advanced amateurs, people were using different devices so
    there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most
    popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images, downloaded to a
    laptop and culled quickly, then stored copies on two storage devices,
    which worked well ... we had an Epson P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB
    Wolverine ... the Wooly is smaller (I carried mine in my vest pocket so
    I always had a backup of the files), has more capacity and cost about
    half as much as the Epson but is about 20% slower and has no preview
    screen (some other models do). The Epson has a pretty nice preview
    screen, not a laptop but nice ... we rarely used it for previews, just
    backup storage, but if we had dropped the laptop and busted the display
    or had it stolen we still had a way to look at images, which is an
    important safety net on a long trip.

    I think if I could only keep one it would be the Epson ...

    > might include sound and videos

    The Epson is good at this, that's what I'd recommend you get.

    > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

    Dunno ... check the card download speed (how long it takes to download
    1 GB) and see if you can find a comparison of the screen to the Epson,
    which has a nice screen.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 9, 2006
  7. "there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most

    popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images,"

    I am confused as to the point of taking 120gb of anything; except
    if you work for National Geographic.
    Also, what if your equipment is lost or stolen?
    Better idea is to burn to DVDs and mail them back home.
    Mr.Bolshoyhuy, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Duram

    rafe b Guest

    On 9 Feb 2006 08:47:52 -0800, "Bill Hilton" <>
    wrote:

    >>Duram writes ...
    >>
    >> Which is the best for digital photos?

    >Just returned from a lengthy trip to Africa with two full-time pros and
    >several other advanced amateurs, people were using different devices so
    >there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most
    >popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images, downloaded to a
    >laptop and culled quickly, then stored copies on two storage devices,
    >which worked well ... we had an Epson P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB
    >Wolverine ... the Wooly is smaller (I carried mine in my vest pocket so
    >I always had a backup of the files), has more capacity and cost about
    >half as much as the Epson but is about 20% slower and has no preview
    >screen (some other models do). The Epson has a pretty nice preview
    >screen, not a laptop but nice ... we rarely used it for previews, just
    >backup storage, but if we had dropped the laptop and busted the display
    >or had it stolen we still had a way to look at images, which is an
    >important safety net on a long trip.

    Bill, I've been looking at the two Epsons,
    but my concern is support for RAW image format.

    What good is the thing if Epson can't clearly
    state their support for the most common and
    popular cameras using RAW?

    I already have an "ImageTank" (20Gig) which
    can back up my flash cards. So if I bought
    one of these newer dohickeys, it would be
    for the image viewing and file-manipulation
    capabilities.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe b, Feb 9, 2006
  9. Duram

    Lucas Guest

    "Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> schreef in bericht
    > Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
    > but I need the best support for pictures.
    >
    > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
    >
    > Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?

    As I understand it, the Epsons have by far the more superior screen. On the
    other hand, the Giga Vu Pro is the ONLY device that supports viewing of the
    real RAW-image, not the embedded JPG-file (of some brands, including Nikon
    and Canon). Both Epson and Giga Vu Pro are quite expensive, so much, that I
    opt for my notebook at any time...

    Lucas
    Lucas, Feb 9, 2006
  10. Duram

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >rafe b writes ...
    >
    >Bill, I've been looking at the two Epsons,
    >but my concern is support for RAW image format.
    >
    >What good is the thing if Epson can't clearly
    >state their support for the most common and
    >popular cameras using RAW?

    We shoot RAW and for the Canon 10D and 1D Mark II bodies the Epson
    P-4000 shows the embedded jpeg files fine, though you can't zoom in. I
    think this is the case for *almost* all "the most common and popular
    cameras using RAW". With the 1Ds it won't display anything though if
    we shoot just RAW, maybe this is what you are talking about?

    The way around these issues is to shoot RAW + JPEG and you can view the
    jpegs for all of the bodies we have, including zooming in at 100%.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 9, 2006
  11. Duram

    Robert Brace Guest

    "Lucas" <> wrote in message

    > "Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> schreef in bericht
    >> Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
    >> but I need the best support for pictures.
    >>
    >> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
    >>
    >> Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?
    >>

    > As I understand it, the Epsons have by far the more superior screen. On
    > the
    > other hand, the Giga Vu Pro is the ONLY device that supports viewing of
    > the
    > real RAW-image, not the embedded JPG-file (of some brands, including Nikon
    > and Canon). Both Epson and Giga Vu Pro are quite expensive, so much, that
    > opt for my notebook at any time...
    >
    > Lucas

    I hesitate to ask, but has anyone used the Nikon Coolwalker. If so, how is
    its handling of NEF files?
    Bob
    Robert Brace, Feb 9, 2006
  12. Duram

    Robert Haar Guest

    On 2006/2/9 11:24 AM, "Hunt" <> wrote:

    > In article <1hahrvv.appzbf1p2ga4kN%>, black.
    > says...
    >>
    >> Malcolm <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
    >>> it.)

    The iPod Photo is no longer sold retail although you can find them used on
    eBay, etc. The new 5G models, called iPod with video work the same.

    >> I think any of the iPods with a dock connector, support the belkin media
    >> reader, the photo models then add functionality for the Apple photo
    >> connector doobery who's name escapes me, but that allows you to connect
    >> your camera direct to the iPod.

    Only the iPod photo and the 5G models can actually display the images.

    >> However, I don't think any of these allow immediate playback on the
    >> iPod, you have to then hook up to your pac/mac later to drop the images
    >> onto your machine. I think then iPhoto syncs up the thumbnails and that
    >> is what the iPhoto allows you to see.

    You can view the photos immediately on the iPod, but the display is pretty
    small.

    Check the compatibility charts but JPEG format in many cameras are supported
    directly without going through a computer for conversion.

    > Unless I have missed something, concerning the 5G iPod, the biggest drawback
    > is having to go through the iTunes software for manipulating/moving/etc. the
    > images.

    You can view the images directly on the iPod, but the only manipulation
    possible there is to delete the image.

    iTunes is used as the syncing mechanism but that happens automatically.
    Photos on the iPod get loaded into the photo library under iPhoto and vice
    versa. You can automatically sync your entire image library to the iPod,
    limited by storage capacity. If you edit a file on the computer or if you
    load an image through another mechanism ( camera connection or card reader)
    it also gets copied to the iPod. This gives you a portable image library.

    I have about 6000 images in iPhoto that are also synced to my 60G iPod.

    >With other products, like the aforementioned Epsons, it is a more
    > direct process, bi-directionally. Again, maybe I've missed something. Putting
    > images on wife's 5G involved far more activity, than color/density correcting
    > a 4GB CF card full of RAW images in Photoshop! It worked, but there were far
    > too many steps involved.

    I don't understand why you have to do all this with the iPod. You might want
    to tweak the images but it isn't necessary. I am guessing that you are on a
    Windows PC. In that case, you need Adobe Album as the photo library software
    if you want to automatically sync.
    Robert Haar, Feb 10, 2006
  13. Duram

    Toby Guest

    Perhaps unsuitable if you need a viewer/player, but:

    If you are in the US try Fry's Electronics. I bought a 2.5" HDD case that
    has a built in card reader and rechargeable battery for about 50 USD, plus
    another 80 USD or so for a 40 GB drive, which mounts inside. It has an LCD
    readout screen and a button to dump files from a card--just insert the card
    and hit copy. You can then hook it up to your PC via USB to access the
    files, at which time it acts just like any portable HDD--it appears as a
    drive letter and you can write and read to and from it.

    No way to view your pix, but for simple storage when you need to clear your
    card in the field it is optimal--small, light and cheap.

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 10, 2006
  14. Duram

    Toby Guest

    "Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <> wrote in message
    > "there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most
    >
    > popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images,"
    >
    > I am confused as to the point of taking 120gb of anything; except
    > if you work for National Geographic.
    > Also, what if your equipment is lost or stolen?
    > Better idea is to burn to DVDs and mail them back home.

    If you are shooting RAW files on a 12MPx camera you are going to need about
    20 Mb per file. 50 images becomes 1Gb, 6000 eat up the full 120 Gb
    mentioned. If you aren't paying materials costs for each frame (film,
    chemicals) then it is easy to fire off 6000 frames, especially--I
    imagine--in Africa. As long as you have the storage space, might as well
    bring all but the really bad frames home with you. Of curse DVD backups is
    not a bad idea either.

    Toby
    Toby, Feb 10, 2006
  15. Duram

    Richard Guest

    Can you let me know the make and model of this case, or a URL please?

    I've tried the Fry's web site but failed to find it.

    TIA.

    Richard.

    Richard, Feb 11, 2006