    Anything which might help is highly appreciated!

    Thanx
    M.
    mawi, Sep 22, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    mawi <> wrote:
    :I need to track, which ports have been busy in the last 12 weeks.

    On what platform?

    :I
    :tried witch cw2000 user tracking, but this is host oriented ao if
    :users travel around with their boxes I get only one entry per mac
    :address.
    :I searched the CISCO site with no success (which doesn't mean there
    :iss no tool there) - so, has anybody a hint where to continue
    :searching?

    There isn't any way to do this in any cisco router or switch that
    I have ever looked at. In order to support it, the router or switch
    would have to have recorded a "last output time" -- which would
    be nice, but just isn't there. (Though perhaps I have seen it on some
    WAN interfaces -- I don't quite remember.)

    If you had started snmp monitoring 12+ weeks ago, then you could look
    at the stats you had recorded. And if you had another 12 weeks in order
    to do this, you could clear all the port statistics, wait 12 weeks, and
    look again, and anything that still showed counts of 0 would be an
    unused port.
    --
    Those were borogoves and the momerathsoutgrabe completely mimsy.
    Walter Roberson, Sep 22, 2004

  3. mawi

    Leigh Guest

    (mawi) wrote in message news:<>...
    > hello,
    >
    > I need to track, which ports have been busy in the last 12 weeks. I
    > tried witch cw2000 user tracking, but this is host oriented ao if
    > users travel around with their boxes I get only one entry per mac
    > address.
    > I searched the CISCO site with no success (which doesn't mean there
    > iss no tool there) - so, has anybody a hint where to continue
    > searching?
    >
    > Anything which might help is highly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanx
    > M.

    M,

    I has a similar issue where I was trying to track random port usage.
    It started when I was running a sniffer and noticed some very odd
    activity. I eventually settled on using some external software called
    "ntop" (www.ntop.org). This is a bit of open source code and is VERY
    good at what it does. I've got it running on Linux, but I'm pretty
    sure they do a version for Windows too. I've been mmirroring a port
    on a router and monitoring the traffic. Ntop tells you, who was using
    what, when and for how long.

    Hope this is of some help,
    Leigh H
    Leigh, Sep 22, 2004