    that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?

    Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.

    Adam.
    Adam Banks, Jul 10, 2003

  2. "Adam Banks" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I wonder whether the collective brains here can help me out.
    >
    > I'm having some difficulty pinholing my router for some internet
    > games. The more common ones (TFC, CStrike, Wolf ET, Bf1942) all work
    > fine - but some of my games that use odd ports are giving me grief.
    >
    > Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
    > are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
    > that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?
    >
    > Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.

    You'd need to put a server sitting somewhere outside your network on the
    internet that accepted connections on any port and replied to you for such
    an application to exist. I'm not sure that you can listen on every port
    without using a low-level network driver.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Adam Banks

    Adam Banks Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:06:32 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >"Adam Banks" <> wrote in message

    >> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
    >> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
    >> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?

    >You'd need to put a server sitting somewhere outside your network on the
    >internet that accepted connections on any port and replied to you for such
    >an application to exist. I'm not sure that you can listen on every port
    >without using a low-level network driver.

    Maybe not *every* port <g> but just the odd couple you're trying to
    analyse.

    Adam.
    Adam Banks, Jul 10, 2003
  4. "Adam Banks" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:06:32 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Adam Banks" <> wrote in message

    > >> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
    > >> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
    > >> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?

    > >You'd need to put a server sitting somewhere outside your network on the
    > >internet that accepted connections on any port and replied to you for

    such
    > >an application to exist. I'm not sure that you can listen on every port
    > >without using a low-level network driver.

    > Maybe not *every* port <g> but just the odd couple you're trying to
    > analyse.

    Easy peasy :). I'll write one for you. Email me at
    and once it's done, I'll email it to you.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Adam Banks

    Jay Guest

    Adam Banks wrote:

    > I wonder whether the collective brains here can help me out.
    >
    > I'm having some difficulty pinholing my router for some internet
    > games. The more common ones (TFC, CStrike, Wolf ET, Bf1942) all work
    > fine - but some of my games that use odd ports are giving me grief.
    >
    > Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
    > are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
    > that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?
    >
    > Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.

    Enable logging on your firewall software.
    Jay, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Adam Banks

    Adam Banks Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:16:45 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >Easy peasy :). I'll write one for you. Email me at
    >and once it's done, I'll email it to you.

    You're a gentleman and a scholar, Sir <g>. Taken to e-mail.

    Adam.
    Adam Banks, Jul 10, 2003
  7. "Adam Banks" <> wrote in message
    > It's the dreaded *hardware* firewall problem. If I had a software
    > firewall sat there on a [separate] Linux box, then I suppose I'd have
    > lots more options - but it's really not practical at the moment :-(

    Surely your hardware firewall runs some software tho?
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 10, 2003
  8. I use a brilliant program from http://www.ntutility.com
    Its called Active Ports. It shows all ports that internet programs or
    network programs use. It helped me work out a couple of programs I needed to
    find the port they worked on.

    Bryan McNally, Jul 11, 2003
  9. Try this web site instead for Active Ports.
    http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html

    Bryan McNally, Jul 11, 2003