Port Security question

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by CB, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. CB

    CB Guest

    I am using just the Win XP firewall because the ZoneAlarm Pro I
    bought/installed seems to use a lot of memory & I'm not sure how to set it
    up anyway.
    My question is: would it be wise to use ZAP in conjunction with the WinXP
    firewall?

    I ran tests from the Shields Up site with just the WinXP firewall and it
    says:
    Port 139 doesn't appear to exist
    Can't connect to NetBIOS

    Common Ports:
    Port 1025 is open
    Stealthed 3 ports
    Closed 22 ports

    Is Port 1025 being open enough of a concern to run ZAP all the time?

    Thank you

    CB, Oct 11, 2004

  2. CB

    andy smart Guest

    andy smart, Oct 11, 2004

  3. "CB" <> wrote in message
    > I am using just the Win XP firewall because the ZoneAlarm Pro I
    > bought/installed seems to use a lot of memory & I'm not sure how to set it
    > up anyway.
    > My question is: would it be wise to use ZAP in conjunction with the WinXP
    > firewall?
    >
    > I ran tests from the Shields Up site with just the WinXP firewall and it
    > says:
    > Port 139 doesn't appear to exist
    > Can't connect to NetBIOS
    >
    > Common Ports:
    > Port 1025 is open
    > Stealthed 3 ports
    > Closed 22 ports
    >
    > Is Port 1025 being open enough of a concern to run ZAP all the time?

    1025 was almost certainly your connection to the website itself - the test
    is useful in certain ways, but is about as sophisticated as a plank.

    If you have doubts in your mind, then have a friend with the same ISP run a
    "proper" port scan. There are many scanners available, including a
    knocked-up-in-an-hour version on my own website.

    I say "the same ISP", as your ISP contract probably explicitly forbids
    trying such things.. ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!