Port security and multicast SLP problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Blaine Williams, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I have just turned on port security (cam table overflow) on some
    switches in one of my offices (according to Cisco's SAFE blueprint.)
    This is what I did: set port to auto-learn mac addresses, set port to
    learn X amount of MAC addresses (most are set to 2, one for data, one
    for the IP phone.)
    Turned on port security.
    Here is my problem:
    On some of the ports (no rhyme or reason) they are automatically
    shutting themselves down..No matter how many MAC addresses I set them
    to learn.
    I think I have narrowed it down to a problem with the SLP multicast
    (layer 2) MAC address filling up the CAM table for those ports.
    I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that this MAC address:
    01-00-5e-00-01-16 pertains to Novell SLP multicast. So these ports
    are "filling" up with that MAC address for some reason while most are
    not (and are functioning fine).

    My CATOS version is: 8.3(4)
    Has anyone seen anything like this?

    TIA,