    My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    TIA.
    Donchano, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Donchano

    lolinternet Guest

    Re: Port recommendations for NNTP to get around Xtra's restrictedlist?

    Donchano wrote:
    > I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    > for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    > my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    > Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >
    > My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    > recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    > TIA.

    That is the port on the server, that your computer connects to.

    You'd need to find a server that operates on a different port for NNTP.
    You can't just arbitrarily change it to a number unless the server is
    specifically accepting NNTP connections on it.
    lolinternet, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:19:59 +1300, lolinternet <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    >> for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    >> my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    >> Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >>
    >> My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    >> recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    >> TIA.
    >>

    >That is the port on the server, that your computer connects to.
    >
    >You'd need to find a server that operates on a different port for NNTP.
    >You can't just arbitrarily change it to a number unless the server is
    >specifically accepting NNTP connections on it.

    Thanks. I'll ask on the Forte Agent newsgroup.
    Donchano, Dec 22, 2006
  4. Donchano

    Shane Guest

    lolinternet wrote:

    > Donchano wrote:
    >> I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    >> for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    >> my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    >> Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >>
    >> My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    >> recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > That is the port on the server, that your computer connects to.
    >
    > You'd need to find a server that operates on a different port for NNTP.
    > You can't just arbitrarily change it to a number unless the server is
    > specifically accepting NNTP connections on it.

    Or an intermediate proxy that supports NNTP
    --
    Fry: Yeah, I do that with my stupidness.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 22, 2006
  5. Donchano

    David Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    > for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    > my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    > Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >
    > My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    > recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    > TIA.

    Xtra use packet sniffing, changing the port, even if you could, which
    you can't, unless you find a server that runs on another port, will make
    no difference.
    David, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Donchano

    k Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    > for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    > my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    > Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >
    > My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    > recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    > TIA.

    sign up to giganews secure nntp, it'll all run over ssl so the port and
    traffic type are masked from xtra's firewall of doom
    k, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:39:16 +1300, k <> magnanimously
    proffered:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    >> for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    >> my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    >> Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >>
    >> My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    >> recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    >> TIA.
    >>

    >sign up to giganews secure nntp, it'll all run over ssl so the port and
    >traffic type are masked from xtra's firewall of doom

    Thanks. I might do this if the port change doesn't work. USD19.99 per
    month seems a bit expensive, however. Right now I'm paying 10 euros a
    year for text only on individual net and USD2.95 per 7gigs including
    binaries from APN (Forte Agent's premium news server).
    Donchano, Dec 24, 2006
  8. On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:51:04 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:39:16 +1300, k <> magnanimously
    >proffered:
    >
    >>Donchano wrote:
    >>> I've been informed that NNTP traffic is on Xtra's "restricted list"
    >>> for Traffic management on Go Large - which explains why downloads from
    >>> my news server have slowed down to dial-up speed since I switched from
    >>> Xtra's Explorer Plan to Go Large.
    >>>
    >>> My computer's default port for NNTP traffic is 119. Can anyone
    >>> recommend another port that would let me get around this restriction?
    >>> TIA.

    >>sign up to giganews secure nntp, it'll all run over ssl so the port and
    >>traffic type are masked from xtra's firewall of doom

    >Thanks. I might do this if the port change doesn't work. USD19.99 per
    >month seems a bit expensive, however. Right now I'm paying 10 euros a
    >year for text only on individual net and USD2.95 per 7gigs including
    >binaries from APN (Forte Agent's premium news server).

    This free server allows text read and write on port 443.
    http://motzarella.org/?language=en&showpage=home

    APN also allows access on port 443.
    --

    Stuart
    Stuart Naylor, Dec 24, 2006
  9. On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:40:58 +1100, Stuart Naylor <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:51:04 +1300, Donchano
    ><> wrote:

    >This free server allows text read and write on port 443.
    >http://motzarella.org/?language=en&showpage=home
    >
    >APN also allows access on port 443.

    Further to my previous post.

    Octanews offers text and binaries in non expiring block accounts and
    allows you to use different ports. http://www.octanews.com/

    Block Account Pricing: http://www.octanews.com/pricing.php

    Ports you can connect to:
    http://www.octanews.com/support.php?catid=11&blogid=8
    --

    Stuart
    Stuart Naylor, Dec 24, 2006
  10. Donchano

    Mutley Guest

    Stuart Naylor <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:51:04 +1300, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:39:16 +1300, k <> magnanimously
    >>proffered:

    >>>sign up to giganews secure nntp, it'll all run over ssl so the port and
    >>>traffic type are masked from xtra's firewall of doom

    >>Thanks. I might do this if the port change doesn't work. USD19.99 per
    >>month seems a bit expensive, however. Right now I'm paying 10 euros a
    >>year for text only on individual net and USD2.95 per 7gigs including
    >>binaries from APN (Forte Agent's premium news server).

    >This free server allows text read and write on port 443.
    >http://motzarella.org/?language=en&showpage=home
    >
    >APN also allows access on port 443.

    Another good one is www.octanews.com. It uses any valid port. i.e
    port 80. Now would Xtra try and limit that one?? Well knowing what a
    pack of wankers they are most likely yes..
    Mutley, Dec 24, 2006
  11. Donchano

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:36:38 +1300, Mutley <> wrote:

    >Stuart Naylor <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:51:04 +1300, Donchano
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:39:16 +1300, k <> magnanimously
    >>>proffered:

    >>>Thanks. I might do this if the port change doesn't work. USD19.99 per
    >>>month seems a bit expensive, however. Right now I'm paying 10 euros a
    >>>year for text only on individual net and USD2.95 per 7gigs including
    >>>binaries from APN (Forte Agent's premium news server).

    >>This free server allows text read and write on port 443.
    >>http://motzarella.org/?language=en&showpage=home
    >>
    >>APN also allows access on port 443.

    >Another good one is www.octanews.com. It uses any valid port. i.e
    >port 80. Now would Xtra try and limit that one?? Well knowing what a
    >pack of wankers they are most likely yes..

    Easynew uses a Web service port 80/81 with Direct decoded dnloads, not many News sites offer
    this..
    Mathew Good, Dec 25, 2006
  12. Donchano

    Mark C Guest

    Mutley <> wrote in

    > Another good one is www.octanews.com.

    Yes.

    > It uses any valid port.

    Not any more.
    It now has a defined list of (about 7) ports.

    > i.e port 80.

    Yes.
    Mark C, Dec 25, 2006
  13. Donchano

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:36:38 +1300, in message <>,
    Mutley wrote:

    > Another good one is www.octanews.com. It uses any valid port. i.e
    > port 80. Now would Xtra try and limit that one??

    What I would expect: Xtra would probably route port 80 through their
    transparent HTTP proxy, which will return an HTTP error code when it
    doesn't see valid HTTP commands.

    > Well knowing what a
    > pack of wankers they are most likely yes..

    Or use a transparent HTTP proxy for port 80 traffic (like most NZ ISPs do),
    with aggressive cacheing taking the place of rate limiting.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Dec 25, 2006
  14. In message <>, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > Or use a transparent HTTP proxy for port 80 traffic (like most NZ ISPs
    > do), with aggressive cacheing taking the place of rate limiting.

    I'm with Wave, which is effectively part of iHug now. I just monitored the
    Apache log in a US-based server for one of my clients, while hitting the
    site in my browser, and I'm definitely seeing my own IP address show up.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 25, 2006
  15. Donchano

    Shane Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:36:38 +1300, in message
    > <>, Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> Another good one is www.octanews.com. It uses any valid port. i.e
    >> port 80. Now would Xtra try and limit that one??

    > What I would expect: Xtra would probably route port 80 through their
    > transparent HTTP proxy, which will return an HTTP error code when it
    > doesn't see valid HTTP commands.
    >

    >> Well knowing what a
    >> pack of wankers they are most likely yes..

    > Or use a transparent HTTP proxy for port 80 traffic (like most NZ ISPs
    > do), with aggressive cacheing taking the place of rate limiting.

    What HTTP proxy?????

    --
    "The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul
    up there's no law against wacking them around a little."

    By: " Porterfield"

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 25, 2006