    Now my application will be ported to 64-bit. Can I still using the same
    MSO.DLL?
    Thanks.
    papachina, Sep 25, 2006

  2. No. Here's the issue - a 64bit application can not call a 32-bit DLL. And a
    32-bit EXE can not call a 64-bit DLL. So you may be between a rock and a
    hard place here.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006

  3. papachina

    papachina Guest

    I see. Then how can I use Outlook Object Model (or MAPI) under 64-bit
    Windows? Is there a 64-bit version of MSO.DLL available somewhere? Or I have
    to wait until 64-bit Office coming out?
    Thanks.

    papachina, Sep 26, 2006
  4. You can use 32-bit software, and 32-bit DLLs running under WOW64 without
    issue. You just can't cross over. So Outlook works just fine. But if you
    have a 64bit program that needs to call a 32-bit DLL, you're out of luck.
    You can call a 32-bit EXE and a 32-bit EXE can call a 64-bit EXE. (IANAD,
    but as I understand it, an EXE has it's own memory address space and
    execution environment, where a DLL shares it with the calling EXE. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    papachina wrote:
    > I see. Then how can I use Outlook Object Model (or MAPI) under 64-bit
    > Windows? Is there a 64-bit version of MSO.DLL available somewhere? Or I
    > have to wait until 64-bit Office coming out?
    > Thanks.

    >> No. Here's the issue - a 64bit application can not call a 32-bit DLL. And
    >> a 32-bit EXE can not call a 64-bit DLL. So you may be between a rock and
    >> a hard place here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>

    >> papachina wrote:
    >>> In my 32-bit application I was using Outlook Object Model via import
    >>> MSO.DLL.
    >>> Now my application will be ported to 64-bit. Can I still using the same
    >>> MSO.DLL?
    >>> Thanks.
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006
  5. I couldn't find a x64 version of mso.dll on my system (Win2003 x64).
    I did find that a x64 version of Outlook Express is installed though -
    ironic as it is scheduled to be removed (IIRC).

    cmk
    Chris Kushnir, Sep 26, 2006
  6. papachina

    papachina Guest

    Is the Outlook Express a 64-bit version?

    Our old code uses simple MAPI which loads MAPI32.DLL explicitly. Can you
    find a 64-bit version of MAPI32.DLL?
    Thanks.

    papachina, Sep 26, 2006
  7. Outlook Express is 64-bit. There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
    mapi32.dll on x64 Editions of Windows. The 32-bit version is in
    %windir%\SysWOW64, and the 64-bit version is in %windir%\system32.

    A 32-bit application will see SysWOW64 as system, by the way.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006
  8. papachina

    papachina Guest

    Does the 64-bit version has the same name as 32-bit version, as mapi32.dll?
    Thanks.

    papachina, Sep 26, 2006
  9. yes. it is the same name, different directory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006