    store and forward frames or realtime forwarding?

    if they store and forward frames,
    is it possible the order of frames (or the order of packets) exchanged?
    VongZa, Feb 8, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    VongZa <> wrote:

    >when monitoring a port is enabled on cisco switches,
    >how do they monitor a port?

    >store and forward frames or realtime forwarding?

    It has to be store and forward, because the port being monitored
    might not be running at the same speed and duplex as the monitoring
    port.

    >if they store and forward frames,
    >is it possible the order of frames (or the order of packets) exchanged?

    I don't know, sorry. I can say that what I've read of the
    2950 / 3550 / 3750 (and kin) would not allow the packets to accidently
    get reordered: in those switches, the packets are put on a shared
    bus with a bitmapped header indicating which ports should grab
    copies of the packets, and port monitoring is just done by setting
    the appropriate "take a copy" bit as the packet gets processed on to
    the bus. But other switches handle things differently; I wouldn't want
    to provide a definitive answer for crossing between line cards
    on something like a 6509.
    Walter Roberson, Feb 8, 2007