Port forwarding help

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ferg, May 13, 2004.

  1. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Ok so I am muddling round with things I just don't understand at all. I
    need some help here...

    So I have purchased a Puretek PT-3808 ADSL router.

    I want to run Bittorrent and I can but apparently it is much less
    efficient cos of NAT and ports not being able to be accessed. FAQs I
    have read talk about forwarding ports. I think I have found where to do
    this but the setting options don't conform to what I am reading about.

    My router has a config option called, "Virtual Server Configuration"

    In this page it has the following boxes to put info:

    Public Port - Start

    Public Port - End

    Private Port

    TCP of UDP

    and Host IP

    Now I know that I want TCP and I know my computer's IP but I don't know
    what to put in the first three boxes.

    Any ideas?

    Ferg
    Ferg, May 13, 2004

  2. Ferg

    Graham Guest

    Ferg wrote:

    > Ok so I am muddling round with things I just don't understand at all. I
    > need some help here...
    >
    > So I have purchased a Puretek PT-3808 ADSL router.
    >
    > I want to run Bittorrent and I can but apparently it is much less
    > efficient cos of NAT and ports not being able to be accessed. FAQs I
    > have read talk about forwarding ports. I think I have found where to do
    > this but the setting options don't conform to what I am reading about.
    >
    > My router has a config option called, "Virtual Server Configuration"
    >
    > In this page it has the following boxes to put info:
    >
    > Public Port - Start
    >
    > Public Port - End
    >
    > Private Port
    >
    > TCP of UDP
    >
    > and Host IP
    >
    > Now I know that I want TCP and I know my computer's IP but I don't know
    > what to put in the first three boxes.

    Start & End allows you to sepcify a range of ports. These are the
    ports that will be accessed from outside your network. Private Port is
    the one these are forwarded to on your own machine (typically the same
    as the public port).

    You just need to know which ports your BitTorrent program uses and
    type them in.
    Graham, May 14, 2004

  3. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Thanks. Will try.

    Ferg

    Ferg, May 15, 2004
  4. Ferg

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:26:30 +1200, "Ferg" <>
    wrote:

    >My router has a config option called, "Virtual Server Configuration"
    >
    >In this page it has the following boxes to put info:
    >
    >Public Port - Start

    Start of a range of public ports. A public port is the router's public
    or "external" port - the port connected to the internet.

    >Public Port - End

    End of a range of public ports.

    >Private Port

    Port on the machine in your network where traffic from the public port
    is to be forwarded to

    >TCP of UDP

    ?? Is this TCP *or* UDP? If so, it is the type of port to forward.

    >and Host IP

    IP Address of the machine on your network (eg 10.0.0.8)

    >Now I know that I want TCP and I know my computer's IP but I don't know
    >what to put in the first three boxes.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    So, for example, if you wanted to run a webserver on a machine in your
    network (say, the machine using 10.0.0.7), then you would use:

    PubPort-S: 80
    PubPort-E: 80
    Private Port: 80
    TCP/UDP: 80
    Host IP: 10.0.0.7

    (Obviously you would have to turn off the web configuration of the
    router, which, of course, you have already done (unless your IP
    Address has changed).

    Also, of course, this would only forward HTTP, not HTTPS etc.

    Actually, it's amazing how many *haven't* turned this off, and
    *haven't* changed the default admin password. Even Woger could hack a
    router under these circumstances....

    If you were wanting to host a standard website on 10.0.0.8 (on port
    80), but only wanting it accessible from the internet on port 8080,
    you would use:

    PubPort-S: 8080
    PubPort-E: 8080
    Private Port: 80
    TCP/UDP: 80
    Host IP: 10.0.0.8
    Gurble, May 15, 2004
  5. Ferg

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 02:55:52 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >TCP/UDP: 80

    Oops, that should have read:

    TCP/UDP: TCP
    Gurble, May 16, 2004