    because at this moment I don't have equipment to conduct some lab tests
    about this.

    Igor
    Igor Mamuziæ aka Pseto, Oct 19, 2009

  2. Igor Mamuziæ aka Pseto

    bod43 Guest

    On 19 Oct, 14:20, "Igor Mamuziæ aka Pseto" <-
    com.hr> wrote:
    > I wonder if PAGP/LACP constantly exchanging PDUs between peers or only
    > during negotiation phase? I would like to aggregate 8 ports between c4500
    > chassis and 2960 switches, but optical-udp media converters are in use for
    > the links. If I just make fixed configuration putting ports in etherchanell
    > group then I have a problem with end to end link failure detection. So,
    > maybe if I use dynamic port channel configuration with PAgP or LACP maybe
    > I'll get port aggregation and end to end failure detection. Right? I ask
    > because at this moment I don't have equipment to conduct some lab tests
    > about this.

    I don't know the answer to your questions however -

    If your platform supports it you should
    be able to use UDLD to force the interfaces down in
    the event that you suffer any link failures. UDLD uses
    L2 packets (same dest mac as CDP).

    LACP is 801.3ad and you can get the full spec from
    the IEEE. Some of the more common IEEE networking
    specifications are available for free download.

    Some media convertors pass through the link
    state so you may have no problem at all if you
    configure the converter correctly.

    My guess is that pagp and lcap exchange packets on
    a regular basis but I don't know. debug pagp/lacp?
    bod43, Oct 21, 2009

  3. "bod43" <> wrote in message

    > I don't know the answer to your questions however -

    > If your platform supports it you should
    > be able to use UDLD to force the interfaces down in
    > the event that you suffer any link failures. UDLD uses
    > L2 packets (same dest mac as CDP).

    UDLD isn't my way to go because I need to aggregate links for the load
    balancing sake first and then ensure end-to-end link failure detection. I'm
    not sure if UDLD can be enabled on channel ports or maybe only physical
    ports are supported?

    > Some media convertors pass through the link
    > state so you may have no problem at all if you
    > configure the converter correctly.

    Converters with which I have to deal here are non-manageable Planet dummy
    convertors:( and they cannot pass trough link state...

    > My guess is that pagp and lcap exchange packets on
    > a regular basis but I don't know. debug pagp/lacp?

    debug pagp packet packet shows that neghbors sends PaGP packets periodically
    every 20 sec or so - well in this case I'll give PaGP a chance in my
    project;)

    Igor
    Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto, Oct 22, 2009