Port Aggregation NM-4E

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Elia Spadoni, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. Elia Spadoni

    Elia Spadoni Guest

    Hello
    I have a C3620 (16F/64D) IOS 12.3(24) IP/FRW/IDS PLUS that is doing the
    firewall /nat device for my lan.

    My network is this:

    Edge Router C2650
    "dmz switch" HP Procurve 2512

    hp switch -> (DMZ/wan side) Eth1/0-----NM4E --{C3620} --NM-1FE-TX--- LAN
    C2950T-24

    Can I bound all the four port of the NM-4E (or even just 2 or 3) to form a
    single port? The answer should be yes using the bridge group.

    If I eventually replace the HP Switch with a Cisco Catalyst 2912XL, could I
    bound multiple ETH ports on the NM4E to aggregate bandwidth?
    So I could transfer from the LAN (100mbit) to the DMZ side, at an higher
    speed?

    Thank you
    Elia Spadoni, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Elia Spadoni

    Thrill5 Guest

    In theory, it could work, but I don't know for sure because I've never tried
    it, and never would -:) Something easy that will work is purchase another
    NM-1FE You can get one for less than $200. The 3620 is not a very beefy
    router and you won't get more than about 20MB/s of throughput. Another
    solution is to buy a 2621 or a 2611XM, both have dual FastEthernets and have
    about the same throughput (maybe more) as a 3620.

    You need to verify that a 2912XL support LACP in order to avoid MAC flapping
    if you go the NM-4E route.

    Thrill5, Mar 28, 2008

  3. Elia Spadoni

    Elia Spadoni Guest

    Hello

    from cisco docs the 3620 has pps from 20k-40k (look for
    routerperformance.pdf docs)

    ? 261x 1,500 0.768 15,000 7.68
    262x 0.768 25,000 12.80
    265x 2,000 1.024 37,000 18.94
    3620 2,000 1.024 20,000 - 40,000 10 - 20

    The fact is that I got an unused C3620 :)

    I may replace the C3620 with a C2650 (with max mem 32F/128D) to install 12.4
    ADVSEC
    one integrated FE port and the NM1FETX

    what should be the commands to do port aggregation, just to try?

    thank you

    Elia Spadoni, Mar 28, 2008
  4. Elia Spadoni

    Guest

    On 28 Mar, 07:51, "Elia Spadoni" <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > from cisco docs the 3620 has pps from 20k-40k (look for
    > routerperformance.pdf docs)
    >
    > ? 261x 1,500  0.768  15,000  7.68
    >  262x  0.768  25,000  12.80
    >  265x 2,000  1.024  37,000  18.94
    > 3620 2,000 1.024 20,000 - 40,000 10 - 20
    >
    > The fact is that I got an unused C3620 :)
    >
    > I may replace the C3620 with a C2650 (with max mem 32F/128D) to install 12..4
    > ADVSEC
    > one integrated FE port and the NM1FETX
    >
    > what should be the commands to do port aggregation, just to try?
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > "Thrill5" <> ha scritto nel messaggionews:...
    >

    > > In theory, it could work, but I don't know for sure because I've never
    > > tried it, and never would -:)  Something easy that will work is purchase
    > > another NM-1FE You can get one for less than $200.  The 3620 is not a very
    > > beefy router and you won't get  more than about 20MB/s of throughput.
    > > Another solution is to buy a 2621 or a 2611XM, both have dual
    > > FastEthernets and have about the same throughput (maybe more) as a 3620.

    > > You need to verify that a 2912XL support LACP in order to avoid MAC
    > > flapping if you go the NM-4E route.

    > > "Elia Spadoni" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello
    > >> I have a C3620 (16F/64D) IOS 12.3(24) IP/FRW/IDS PLUS that is doing the
    > >> firewall /nat device for my lan.

    > >> My network is this:

    > >> Edge Router C2650
    > >> "dmz switch" HP Procurve 2512

    > >> hp switch -> (DMZ/wan side) Eth1/0-----NM4E --{C3620} --NM-1FE-TX--- LAN
    > >> C2950T-24

    > >> Can I bound all the four port of the NM-4E (or even just 2 or 3) to form
    > >> a single port? The answer should be yes using the bridge group.

    > >> If I eventually replace the HP Switch with a Cisco Catalyst 2912XL, could
    > >> I bound multiple ETH ports on the NM4E to aggregate bandwidth?
    > >> So I could transfer from the LAN (100mbit) to the DMZ side, at an higher
    > >> speed?

    > >> Thank you- Hide quoted text -

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/135.pdf

    Don't be at all surprised if it doesn't work
    on your platform.
    , Mar 28, 2008
  5. Elia Spadoni

    Cliff Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:51 pm, "Elia Spadoni" <>
    wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > from cisco docs the 3620 has pps from 20k-40k (look for
    > routerperformance.pdf docs)
    >
    > ? 261x 1,500 0.768 15,000 7.68
    > 262x 0.768 25,000 12.80
    > 265x 2,000 1.024 37,000 18.94
    > 3620 2,000 1.024 20,000 - 40,000 10 - 20
    >
    > The fact is that I got an unused C3620 :)
    >
    > I may replace the C3620 with a C2650 (with max mem 32F/128D) to install 12.4
    > ADVSEC
    > one integrated FE port and the NM1FETX
    >
    > what should be the commands to do port aggregation, just to try?
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > "Thrill5" <> ha scritto nel messaggionews:...
    >
    > > In theory, it could work, but I don't know for sure because I've never
    > > tried it, and never would -:) Something easy that will work is purchase
    > > another NM-1FE You can get one for less than $200. The 3620 is not a very
    > > beefy router and you won't get more than about 20MB/s of throughput.
    > > Another solution is to buy a 2621 or a 2611XM, both have dual
    > > FastEthernets and have about the same throughput (maybe more) as a 3620.

    > > You need to verify that a 2912XL support LACP in order to avoid MAC
    > > flapping if you go the NM-4E route.

    > > "Elia Spadoni" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello
    > >> I have a C3620 (16F/64D) IOS 12.3(24) IP/FRW/IDS PLUS that is doing the
    > >> firewall /nat device for my lan.

    > >> My network is this:

    > >> Edge Router C2650
    > >> "dmz switch" HP Procurve 2512

    > >> hp switch -> (DMZ/wan side) Eth1/0-----NM4E --{C3620} --NM-1FE-TX--- LAN
    > >> C2950T-24

    > >> Can I bound all the four port of the NM-4E (or even just 2 or 3) to form
    > >> a single port? The answer should be yes using the bridge group.

    > >> If I eventually replace the HP Switch with a Cisco Catalyst 2912XL, could
    > >> I bound multiple ETH ports on the NM4E to aggregate bandwidth?
    > >> So I could transfer from the LAN (100mbit) to the DMZ side, at an higher
    > >> speed?

    > >> Thank you

    In the cisco world port aggregation is called "Ether channeling" or
    "port channeling".

    To access a specific port channel you access it just like any other
    interface.

    config t
    int port chan 0

    Now I am going off memory so it might be some variant of that but I am
    pretty sure I am close. Then to assign a port to the port group you
    simply go into whichever interface your interested in

    int fa0/0
    port group 0

    and assign the port group you want it to belong to. Do this on each
    interface you want to have access to that channel group.

    Im sure my little commands are off a bit because its been a while
    since I have set up ether channeling on cisco equipment. Back then
    only switches had this feature. I am not sure what the 3600 is capable
    of, and I am not sure if ether channeling will work with equipment
    from different vendors.

    Do a google search on etherchannel or Port channel and you will find
    your answer I beleive. If I had access to a catalyst switch I could
    tell you the commands right now, but I dont! :)

    Good luck
    Cliff, Mar 28, 2008
  6. Elia Spadoni

    Elia Spadoni Guest

    Hello
    thank you to all of you for this important answers.

    Of Course as I expected that things works on 12.4 on my 2600 routers, not on
    the 3620.

    NOW I ask you:

    what should be the use of a 3620 with 12.3(24) on it?

    1FE port and 4xEth port?

    Elia Spadoni, Mar 29, 2008
  7. Elia Spadoni

    Guest

    On 29 Mar, 10:25, "Elia Spadoni" <> wrote:
    > Hello
    > thank you to all of you for this important answers.
    >
    > Of Course as I expected that things works on 12.4 on my 2600 routers, not on
    > the 3620.
    >
    > NOW I ask you:
    >
    > what should be the use of a 3620 with 12.3(24) on it?
    >
    > 1FE port and 4xEth port?
    >
    > "Cliff" <> ha scritto nel messaggionews:...
    >

    > > On Mar 27, 11:51 pm, "Elia Spadoni" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hello

    > >> from cisco docs the 3620 has pps from 20k-40k (look for
    > >> routerperformance.pdf docs)

    > >> ? 261x 1,500  0.768  15,000  7.68
    > >>  262x  0.768  25,000  12.80
    > >>  265x 2,000  1.024  37,000  18.94
    > >> 3620 2,000 1.024 20,000 - 40,000 10 - 20

    > >> The fact is that I got an unused C3620 :)

    > >> I may replace the C3620 with a C2650 (with max mem 32F/128D) to install
    > >> 12.4
    > >> ADVSEC
    > >> one integrated FE port and the NM1FETX

    > >> what should be the commands to do port aggregation, just to try?

    > >> thank you

    > >> "Thrill5" <> ha scritto nel
    > >> messaggionews:...

    > > In the cisco world port aggregation is called "Ether channeling" or
    > > "port channeling".

    > > To access a specific port channel you access it just like any other
    > > interface.

    > > config t
    > > int port chan 0

    > > Now I am going off memory so it might be some variant of that but I am
    > > pretty sure I am close. Then to assign a port to the port group you
    > > simply go into whichever interface your interested in

    > > int fa0/0
    > > port group 0

    > > and assign the port group you want it to belong to. Do this on each
    > > interface you want to have access to that channel group.

    > > Im sure my little commands are off a bit because its been a while
    > > since I have set up ether channeling on cisco equipment. Back then
    > > only switches had this feature. I am not sure what the 3600 is capable
    > > of, and I am not sure if ether channeling will work with equipment
    > > from different vendors.

    > > Do a google search on etherchannel or Port channel and you will find
    > > your answer I beleive. If I had access to a catalyst switch I could
    > > tell you the commands right now, but I dont! :)

    > > Good luck- Hide quoted text -

    Do you have a boat?
    , Mar 29, 2008
  8. Elia Spadoni