Port 5060

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Kev, May 13, 2006.

  1. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hi All,

    I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with voip.co.uk
    and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.

    I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
    Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
    of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
    doing so.

    Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The Grandstream
    GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen setup, the Account
    1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:

    PCMU
    PCMA
    G.723.1
    G.729A/B
    GSM
    PCMU
    PCMU
    PCMU

    and the manual suggests that it negotiates the codec dynamically. Should
    I experiment or leave well alone?

    Cheers
    Ke

    Kev, May 13, 2006

  2. Kev

    Mark Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with
    > voip.co.uk and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.
    >
    > I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
    > (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal
    > ip address of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive
    > incoming calls without doing so.

    I dont have any ports forwarded and dont experience any issues

    The reason it all works fine is due to the NAT/STUN server configued in
    the setup

    Mark, May 13, 2006

  3. Kev

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 18:40:39 +0000 (UTC), Kev
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with voip.co.uk
    >and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.
    >
    >I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
    >Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
    >of the handset?

    That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
    forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to the
    provider.
    >I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
    >doing so.

    Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it :)
    Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

    >Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The Grandstream
    >GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen setup, the Account
    >1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:

    G711 is, in comparison, a fairly wide band one. I guess that if you
    are not bothered too much about download then that wil be OK. I was
    advised once to stick to one particular codec for cable but I find
    that G711, as the prime choice, with others left open for dynamic
    selection works perfectly well.

    >PCMU
    >PCMA
    >G.723.1
    >G.729A/B
    >GSM
    >PCMU
    >PCMU
    >PCMU

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 13, 2006
  4. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hello Brian,

    >> I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
    >> (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the
    >> internal ip address of the handset?
    >>

    > That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
    > forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to the
    > provider.

    > Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it :)
    > Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

    I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short period
    after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops doing so
    and the call goes to voip voicemail.

    I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must hang
    around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once it's torn
    down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset and forwards
    the call to voicemail?

    I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.

    Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?

    Cheers
    Kevi

    Kev, May 13, 2006
  5. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hello Kev,

    > Hello Brian,
    >
    >>> I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed
    >>> network (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to
    >>> the internal ip address of the handset?
    >>>

    >> That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
    >> forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to
    >> the provider.
    >>
    >> Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it :)
    >> Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

    > I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
    > period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops
    > doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
    >
    > I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must
    > hang around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once
    > it's torn down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset
    > and forwards the call to voicemail?
    >
    > I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.
    >
    > Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Kevin

    I just forwarded 5060 UDP & TCP to the handset but still no incoming calls,
    just the same behaviour as previously where if an outgoing call has been
    recently made, I can receive incoming calls for ~2mins afterwards then they
    hit voicemail.

    This is a bit of a new technology for me so some of the pieces haven't all
    fallen into place in my head yet.

    Cheers
    Ke

    Kev, May 13, 2006
  6. Kev

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > Hello Kev,
    >
    >> Hello Brian,

    >>> That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
    >>> forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to
    >>> the provider.
    >>>
    >>> Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it :)
    >>> Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

    >> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
    >> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops
    >> doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must
    >> hang around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once
    >> it's torn down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset
    >> and forwards the call to voicemail?
    >>
    >> I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.
    >>
    >> Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Kevin

    > I just forwarded 5060 UDP & TCP to the handset but still no incoming
    > calls, just the same behaviour as previously where if an outgoing call
    > has been recently made, I can receive incoming calls for ~2mins
    > afterwards then they hit voicemail.
    >
    > This is a bit of a new technology for me so some of the pieces haven't
    > all fallen into place in my head yet.

    I don't know for sure if it is related, but I've found that the newer GS
    firmwares are far more reliable than the shipped ones, for some of their
    products - might be worth checking to see if you have the latest
    stable/production firmware.

    Paul Cupis, May 13, 2006
  7. Kev

    <> wrote:

    >I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
    >Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
    >of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
    >doing so.

    Port 5060 is the one that SIP uses to set up the call. The RTP port
    that carries the actual speech is different.

    Yours works without port forwarding either because the Vigor is doing
    it automatically (it is a uPNP aware router) or because you have a
    STUN server specified. Personally, I'd forward the port manually as
    well.

    IME, Vigor uPNP may be working fine today, but by tomorrow afternoon
    it may have stopped working. Originally, I thought Sipgate was
    unreliable because of this. Once I'd forwarded the ports, it became
    rock-solid.

    , May 14, 2006
  8. Kev

    Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
    <> wrote:

    >I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short period
    >after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops doing so
    >and the call goes to voip voicemail.

    That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.

    , May 14, 2006
  9. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hello ,

    > On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
    > <> wrote:
    >> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
    >> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it
    >> stops doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
    >>

    > That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.

    Port 5060 is forwarded manually. I have uPNP turned off on the router, it's
    something I've never turned on, ever.

    Ke

    Kev, May 14, 2006
  10. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hello Kev,

    > Hello ,
    >
    >> On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
    >>> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it
    >>> stops doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
    >>>

    >> That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.
    >>

    > Port 5060 is forwarded manually. I have uPNP turned off on the router,
    > it's something I've never turned on, ever.
    >
    > Kev

    Turning on NAT traversal (STUN) for the voip account seemed to do the trick.
    I only tried this after signing up with sipgate and reading through their
    GXP2000 specific help.

    Ke

    Kev, May 14, 2006
  11. Kev

    Tim Guest

    Kev wrote:

    > I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
    > (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal
    > ip address of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive
    > incoming calls without doing so.

    No need.

    voip.co.uk have all the magic stuff in place to cope with NAT.

    Tim

    Tim, May 15, 2006
  12. Kev

    linker3000 Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with
    > voip.co.uk and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.
    >
    > I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
    > (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal
    > ip address of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive
    > incoming calls without doing so.
    >
    > Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The
    > Grandstream GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen
    > setup, the Account 1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:
    >
    > PCMU
    > PCMA
    > G.723.1
    > G.729A/B
    > GSM
    > PCMU
    > PCMU
    > PCMU
    >
    > and the manual suggests that it negotiates the codec dynamically. Should
    > I experiment or leave well alone?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Kev

    You need to forward 5060 to the phone and also some ports for the RTP
    (voice) streams - typically 10100 to 10106 (or more if you like).

    If you get things working but find that outbound calls cut off after 32
    seconds you will need to telnet to your router, login and issue the
    following command:

    sys sip_alg 0 [ENTER]

    It's a Draytek thing - took me a while to discover that one!

    L3K

    linker3000, May 16, 2006
  13. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hello Linker3000,

    > You need to forward 5060 to the phone and also some ports for the RTP
    > (voice) streams - typically 10100 to 10106 (or more if you like).
    >
    > If you get things working but find that outbound calls cut off after
    > 32 seconds you will need to telnet to your router, login and issue the
    > following command:
    >
    > sys sip_alg 0 [ENTER]
    >
    > It's a Draytek thing - took me a while to discover that one!
    >
    > L3K

    Cheers L3K,

    I did eventually get it working.

    Thanks