    Just curious if thare is a new threat running around.

    JES
    , Nov 26, 2004

  2. Bit Twister Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:21:47 -0600, wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a new virus or worm that is causing a flurry of
    > activity on port 4750? when I logged on to the internet this morning
    > at around 10:30 AM, I checked the traffic log of my firewall and in
    > about two minutes, it had blocked around a hundred or more attempts to
    > connect to my PC on that port.

    Some places to look
    http://www.dshield.org//port_report.php?port=4750
    http://isc.sans.org/port_details.php?port=4750

    Malware is changing at about 1 new one every hour.
    After an eight hour sleep, your antivirus update is a little bit
    behind. :(

    That assumes your AV vendor has trapped the new malware,
    generated/tested for it in the database and moved it into production
    ready for you do download the new signatures.
    Bit Twister, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:29:33 GMT, Bit Twister
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:21:47 -0600, wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a new virus or worm that is causing a flurry of
    >> activity on port 4750? when I logged on to the internet this morning
    >> at around 10:30 AM, I checked the traffic log of my firewall and in
    >> about two minutes, it had blocked around a hundred or more attempts to
    >> connect to my PC on that port.

    >Some places to look
    >http://www.dshield.org//port_report.php?port=4750
    >http://isc.sans.org/port_details.php?port=4750
    >
    >Malware is changing at about 1 new one every hour.
    >After an eight hour sleep, your antivirus update is a little bit
    >behind. :(
    >
    >That assumes your AV vendor has trapped the new malware,
    >generated/tested for it in the database and moved it into production
    >ready for you do download the new signatures.

    Thanks for the info. I also did an Alta Vista search on the port
    number and found an application called MERLIN (Maryland's
    Environmental Resources & Land Information Network) that uses that
    port. From what I read I gather it's some kind of online map maker.
    Of course that doesn't mean it was the application responsible for all
    of those blocked attempts.

    Later, I reconnected to the internet and checked my traffic log, and
    found no entries for connection attempts on port 4750. Since I am
    using a dialup connection, with dynamic IP addresses, this leads me to
    think it is another case of a customer of my ISP having used that IP
    address at some time to do some P2P sharing. I found that this
    happens a lot with P2P apps, where persons share with another person,
    then keep trying to use the same IP address to access the same PC
    later, only to find they can't connect because the IP address has
    changed. I would think it would only take them a few minutes to
    realize they are dealing with dynamic IP addresses and not static IP
    addresses.

    Anyway, I'll keep my eyes on this. Not really a problem since my
    firewall blocks that port by default. I just like to try to identify
    and keep up with any malicious programs that might be out there in
    cyber space.

    Later

    JES
    , Nov 26, 2004