Port 445: Effective/Safe Blocking

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by Samwise, Jan 6, 2008.

  1. Samwise

    Samwise

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    RE Original Question & Answer:

    > Q:
    > > When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I
    > > have a firewall blocking all lower ports but I was
    > > wondering how I could close them all together, or what
    > > programmes are using these ports?
    > >

    > I have a program (SafeXP) which "hardens" my win2k, and as
    > part of this it shuts down port 445. However, when I tried
    > to do a windows update I found that there was a problem with
    > network connectivity, so backtracking I re-enabled port 445,
    > and all went well. So, for some reason windows update needs
    > this port, which is fine, now I open/shut the port as I need.
    > No other program seems to complain about this.

    A:
    Actually, you can block 445 at the border and Windows Update runs fine.
    I have blocked 135~139 and 445 with no ill effects on any of the
    computers behind the routers/firewalls.

    I suspect that your "hardening" breaks Windows Update.

    soooo...
    How do I Block port 445, disabling the messenger service, but not the utility? What exactly is meant by "the utility" vs. "the messenger service"? Can anyone explain the difference? Should I use Active Ports to accomplish this or should I use try to do it using WinXP commands somehow.

    I am not networked (just a single host) with an internet connection. I do not file share, I have a single printer, and X number user accounts (one admin-type)--if any of this matters. (Many Thanks!)
    Samwise, Jan 6, 2008