    Hopefully,

    Neil

    Ireland
    Neil Armstrong, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Neil Armstrong

    Tim H. Guest

    "Neil Armstrong" <> wrote in message
    news:uq%...
    > I've run Shields up (www.grc.com) to test a clients new Wingate Pro

    firewall
    > on Win2000 server sp4.
    > Ideally I'd like all ports to be in full stealth mode.
    >
    > The problem is that I'm seeing Port 1033 which I'm told is local netinfo
    > port open.
    >
    > Now I know what you're thinking 'netspy' - but I don't think so.
    >
    > Norton AV with latest definitions doesn't see it and neither does Mcafee's
    > excellent online scan.
    >
    > I can't see what process might be using this port or what it's using it

    for.
    > I'm downloading fport and I'll try that the next time I'm onsite - but I

    was
    > hoping one of you kind folk would have an idea.

    One excellent (and free) program you can download to see which programs are
    bound to which ports is TCPView by Sysinternals:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

    That should tell what's listening on 1033 (can you telnet to it?). May just
    be another of Microsoft's useful services.

    -Tim

    Tim H., Sep 17, 2003

  3. Neil Armstrong

    Mimic Guest

    > I've run Shields up (www.grc.com) to test a clients new Wingate Pro

    firewall
    > on Win2000 server sp4.
    > Ideally I'd like all ports to be in full stealth mode.
    >
    > The problem is that I'm seeing Port 1033 which I'm told is local netinfo
    > port open.
    >
    > Now I know what you're thinking 'netspy' - but I don't think so.
    >
    > Norton AV with latest definitions doesn't see it and neither does Mcafee's
    > excellent online scan.
    >
    > I can't see what process might be using this port or what it's using it

    for.
    > I'm downloading fport and I'll try that the next time I'm onsite - but I

    was
    > hoping one of you kind folk would have an idea.
    >
    > Hopefully,
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > Ireland

    I havent actually used 2K myself but its basis are similar to XP, you might
    find this will help (from the console):

    netstat -ano

    tasklist /svc -fi "pid eq XXX"

    where XXX is the pid of the process of port 1033 that you should get from
    the netstat.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"
    Mimic, Sep 18, 2003
  4. On an XP machine running IIS, this is what I get:

    Image Name PID Services
    ========================= ======
    inetinfo.exe 1924 IISADMIN, W3SVC

    "Mimic" <> wrote in message
    > "Neil Armstrong" <> wrote in message
    > > I've run Shields up (www.grc.com) to test a clients new Wingate Pro

    > firewall
    > > on Win2000 server sp4.
    > > Ideally I'd like all ports to be in full stealth mode.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I'm seeing Port 1033 which I'm told is local netinfo
    > > port open.
    > >
    > > Now I know what you're thinking 'netspy' - but I don't think so.
    > >
    > > Norton AV with latest definitions doesn't see it and neither does

    Mcafee's
    > > excellent online scan.
    > >
    > > I can't see what process might be using this port or what it's using it

    > for.
    > > I'm downloading fport and I'll try that the next time I'm onsite - but I

    > was
    > > hoping one of you kind folk would have an idea.
    > >
    > > Hopefully,
    > >
    > > Neil
    > >
    > > Ireland
    > >

    > I havent actually used 2K myself but its basis are similar to XP, you

    might
    > find this will help (from the console):
    >
    > netstat -ano
    >
    > tasklist /svc -fi "pid eq XXX"
    >
    > where XXX is the pid of the process of port 1033 that you should get from
    > the netstat.
    >
    > --
    > Mimic
    >
    > "Without Knowledge you have fear, With fear you create your own

    nightmares."

    Bill Sanderson, Sep 18, 2003