    Does anyone have any idea what might be happening please and what I can do
    about it.

    Thanks
    Poppy, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Poppy

    carson Guest

    "Poppy" <> wrote in message
    news:wAa1e.189$...
    > I have started getting a huge number of popups over the last few days and
    > ordinary words are appearing green on web pages. If I click on a green
    > wordsthen a popup ad appears - this is also happening to my emails.
    >
    > If somebody else displays the same page on their computer theirs is

    normal.

    > Does anyone have any idea what might be happening please and what I can do
    > about it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > you have spyware

    run adaware from

    spybot search and destroy is also an excellent program
    carson, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Poppy

    Jana Guest

    Your system has contracted a popup Trojan or something like that!

    If you install the Yahoo toolbar, they give a free program that checks for
    these, and allows you to delete them.

    It is also good to download and install Spybot Search And Destroy, and also
    Adaware SE. Make sure you do the updates, before each time you use these.

    If these do not get rid of your problem, then it will have to be worked on
    at a deeper level.

    These Trojans get installed from porno sites, gambling sites, and opening or
    previewing Spam mails.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Jana, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Poppy

    Wizard Guest

    Jana <> wrote:

    >> "Poppy" <> wrote in message

    >> popup ad appears

    > If you install the Yahoo toolbar, they give a free program that checks for
    > these, and allows you to delete them.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH! The Yahoo toolbar does not remove adware, you
    fucktard ****.
    Wizard, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Poppy

    carson Guest

    "Jana" <> wrote in message
    > Your system has contracted a popup Trojan or something like that!
    >
    > If you install the Yahoo toolbar, they give a free program that checks for
    > these, and allows you to delete them.
    >
    > It is also good to download and install Spybot Search And Destroy, and

    also
    > Adaware SE. Make sure you do the updates, before each time you use these.
    >
    > If these do not get rid of your problem, then it will have to be worked on
    > at a deeper level.
    >
    > These Trojans get installed from porno sites, gambling sites, and opening

    or
    > previewing Spam mails.
    >

    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____

    yahoo toolbar is powered by pestpatrol
    ............BUT it is still yahoo ....NOT exactly a trustworthy company not
    to mention it is bundled with macromedia
    a dangerous combo IMHO
    I could very well see yahoo removing spyware
    but only the competitors spyware
    carson, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Poppy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Poppy" <> wrote in message
    >I have started getting a huge number of popups over the last few days Does
    >anyone have any idea what might be happening please and what I can do about
    >it.

    Stop watching so much porn?
    Toolman Tim, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Poppy

    JANA Guest

    The Yahoo toolbar has been very well publicized by very reputable
    publications. I've used in on a fair number of computers with very good
    success in doing the cleanups. I have also used other cleaning software's in
    the same computers. I found nothing out of the ordinary. I also search
    through the active programs, and have seen nothing suspicious when using the
    Yahoo toolbar.

    Please elaborate on your comments. I would be interested.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 26, 2005
  8. Poppy

    Poppy Guest

    Re: Popups - thanks

    Thanks for your suggestions folk

    I managed to fix it by doing a system restore in the end - but I'll look
    into Spybot Search And Destroy for future use.

    Just for the record, I don't watch porn!

    Poppy, Mar 26, 2005
  9. Poppy

    carson Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > The Yahoo toolbar has been very well publicized by very reputable
    > publications. I've used in on a fair number of computers with very good
    > success in doing the cleanups. I have also used other cleaning software's

    in
    > the same computers. I found nothing out of the ordinary. I also search
    > through the active programs, and have seen nothing suspicious when using

    the
    > Yahoo toolbar.
    >
    > Please elaborate on your comments. I would be interested.

    http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/

    have you read their privacy policy?
    they state they DO collect personal information
    and use that information for targeted marketing (SPAM)
    Yahoo is also the first company to "call the law" on it's users when most
    other companies fight tooth and nail to
    preserve users rights or don't collect info in the first place
    now you would have a toolbar following you everywhere
    reporting back far more than the cookie

    As for macromedia it has way to many security flaws
    a tiny flash file unnoticed in the bottom corner of a page
    can be used to gain access to local files, file system info,
    soundcards, and webcams!
    the worst part is the settings to enable such an attack
    are enabled by default!
    Have you checked your settings
    http://img2.uploadimages.net/570303Clipboard.jpg
    You can get to that panel by right clicking on
    an open flash file

    Pestpatrol is a highly reputable company
    I'm surprised they would partner with yahoo
    in such a venture.......Money talks I guess

    why trade spyware and popups for SPAM
    the advertisers still get to you
    I choose neither

    A finally Plain and simple........
    "I Don't Trust Yahoo On A Deep And Personal Level"
    carson, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Poppy

    JANA Guest

    As for Yahoo, I have read their agreement. As long as they are not planting
    Trojans, Adwares, key-loggers, or installing software's of any kind there
    should not be a problem. As for tracking the users activity, through basic
    means, such as cookies, or running a harmless script file while using their
    utility, I see nothing wrong with that.

    Instead of paying out some dollars to use their utility program, you are
    letting them know where you've been. With the use of any free and sometimes
    paid public facilities, I would expect there to be some tracking statistics
    taken. I am sure that everyone from Hotmail to Google do this. If they want
    to know what newspaper I read, or where I looked for some house-wares, they
    are welcome to it. In the end, nothing that is any good is free. And,
    sometimes what we pay for can be crappy.

    Your point is interesting, and also very true for the most part.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 26, 2005
  11. Poppy

    JANA Guest

    Re: Popups - thanks

    Are you previewing or opening Spam mails? Other things that bring on these
    problems are the public gaming sites, gambling sites, free music sites,
    porno sites, and alike. Sites that require you to install some type of
    software to participate, are the most dangerous to have spywares, loggers,
    or adwares from them.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Poppy

    carson Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > As for Yahoo, I have read their agreement. As long as they are not

    planting
    > Trojans, Adwares, key-loggers, or installing software's of any kind there
    > should not be a problem. As for tracking the users activity, through basic
    > means, such as cookies, or running a harmless script file while using

    their
    > utility, I see nothing wrong with that.
    >
    > Instead of paying out some dollars to use their utility program, you are
    > letting them know where you've been. With the use of any free and

    sometimes
    > paid public facilities, I would expect there to be some tracking

    statistics
    > taken. I am sure that everyone from Hotmail to Google do this. If they

    want
    > to know what newspaper I read, or where I looked for some house-wares,

    they
    > are welcome to it. In the end, nothing that is any good is free. And,
    > sometimes what we pay for can be crappy.
    >
    > Your point is interesting, and also very true for the most part.
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____

    :GASP:...... I'm glad you didn't set up the security on
    my computer!
    Imagine IRL a team of laywers, cops, and ad agents
    following you around in a van everywhere you go

    In this day and age of the patriot act
    nobody knows whats legal or not anymore

    Thousands of resumes were pulled of monster.com
    because the job seekers specialized in/studied in
    arabic countries siteing patriot act compliance

    An American professor who was considered a hero
    for helping uproot a brutial South American dictatorship
    Was denied return to the states, because she is now
    considered a terrorist

    Blogs are being threatened, sent take down orders,
    or just plain seized! the visitor logs are then being used
    to prosecute disallowed speach
    (indy media for one)

    whats next?
    download a copy of the Koran
    just to educate yourself on what the heck
    the guy on the news is talking about
    and get busted for today's legal whim?

    Adaware is........
    Proximotron is........
    Iview is.........
    Zone Alarm is.........
    Gimp is..........
    Jalbum is........
    Stardownloader is........
    Ultra wipe is...........
    Photofilter is.........
    Index dat suite is.......
    The list could go on forever
    Not only free, but in most cases as good or better
    than the payware equivalent
    carson, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Poppy

    doS Guest

    Spybot and Adaware don't remove trojans.

    doS, Mar 27, 2005
  14. Poppy

    doS Guest

    Re: Popups - thanks

    Or yahoo toolbars.

    doS, Mar 27, 2005
  15. Poppy

    Poppy Guest

    Re: Popups - thanks

    I share my computer, might have been a gaming site i guess

    Poppy, Mar 27, 2005
  16. Poppy

    deadlydaisey Guest

    Good to know you speak so authoritatively. Must be from experience. Not
    called Toolman for nothing I guess !!
    deadlydaisey, Mar 28, 2005