popups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Presuming you are talking about Messenger pop-ups:

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:51:07 -0800, in
    <iMKvb.7135$m24.3456@fed1read02>
    Sligo scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    William Guest

    Seamus wrote :" XP and outlook express and explorer, the pop ups are driving
    me mad!
    How do I stop or prevent?
    Thank you,"
    Seamus J. Wilson

    William Replied : "Easy way is to install "Google Search Tool Bar" it has a
    built-in "pop-up stopper"....It works very well !!!

    Regards;
    William

    Take out the "Trash" to respond

    Sligo, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Go to Google and get their toobar (enable the popup stopper). You'll be
    happy you did. :)

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com