    Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no graphics or text, just a white
    box with the label at the top.
    Any ideas?
    Michael Sullivan, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Michael Sullivan

    .BRIAN. Guest

    Michael Sullivan wrote:

    > Using version 0.9.2 Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to
    > appear. I have Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad
    > Blocker extension installed. Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no
    > graphics or text, just a white box with the label at the top. Any
    > ideas?

    Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on the box
    say? Is it one specific site?

    BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible security
    vulnerabilities".
    [http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases]

    Spybot -
    [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]

    AdAware -
    [http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]

    Spyware Blaster -
    [http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    .BRIAN., Aug 7, 2004

  3. Michael Sullivan

    gaspin Guest

    ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:wr6Rc.36099$sh.16249@fed1read06:

    > Michael Sullivan wrote:
    >
    >> Using version 0.9.2 Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to
    >> appear. I have Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad
    >> Blocker extension installed. Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no
    >> graphics or text, just a white box with the label at the top. Any
    >> ideas?

    > Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on the box
    > say? Is it one specific site?
    >
    > BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible security
    > vulnerabilities".
    > [http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases]
    >
    > Spybot -
    > [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]
    >
    > AdAware -
    > [http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]
    >
    > Spyware Blaster -
    > [http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]

    I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP. There
    is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title bar:
    Specific POP Network – Mozilla Firefox
    I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE). It is
    about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!
    gaspin, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Michael Sullivan

    --BRIAN-- Guest

    gaspin wrote:
    > ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:wr6Rc.36099$sh.16249@fed1read06:
    >

    >>Michael Sullivan wrote:
    >>

    >>>Using version 0.9.2 Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to
    >>>appear. I have Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad
    >>>Blocker extension installed. Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no
    >>>graphics or text, just a white box with the label at the top. Any
    >>>ideas?

    >>Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on the box
    >>say? Is it one specific site?
    >>
    >>BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible security
    >>vulnerabilities".
    >>[http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases]
    >>
    >>Spybot -
    >>[http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]
    >>
    >>AdAware -
    >>[http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]
    >>
    >>Spyware Blaster -
    >>[http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]
    >>

    > I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP. There
    > is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title bar:
    > Specific POP Network – Mozilla Firefox
    > I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE). It is
    > about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!

    You are obviously having an abnormal problem. I have never (not even
    once) got a pop-up using either Mozilla or FF. Never. And I surf the
    Internet all the time... and to some crazy sites. So before you chuck
    Mozilla, I'd recommend waiting to find a solution to your problem. But
    if you prefer IE, by all means go with that. Everyone has their own
    preferences in life. Just so long as you know there is something
    abnormal going on here... whether it's Mozilla or not... it's not
    "normal" behavior, and I'm sure you fill find the solution sooner or later.

    Now... I don't doubt you are having a problem. I'm just saying I have
    never seen a pop-up. I took the time to search MozillaZine and have
    found the following post which most likely discusses your problem:

    Cheers.

    --BRIAN--, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Michael Sullivan

    Chaos Master Guest

    gaspin, gaspin, gaspin.... did you really write this article (<W_mdnY-
    >) in newsgroup (alt.fan.mozilla) at the date of
    (Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:21:26 -0500)?

    [popups at sudden]

    > I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP. There
    > is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title bar:
    > Specific POP Network ? Mozilla Firefox
    > I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE). It is
    > about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!

    Strange. I visit almost every type of site (even the most 'popup-filled' porn
    sites) with my Firefox, and almost no popups. Try discovering the URL for this
    site, and blocking it in HOSTS file [1] (at least the popup will not bother you
    trying to load).

    Firefox 0.9.1+ (nightly from 7/8/2004).

    [1] Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP: c:\windows\system32\hosts
    Linux/UNIX: /etc/hosts (AFAIK - I have not used Linux for a while)

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
    MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com
    Chaos Master, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Michael Sullivan

    gaspin Guest

    --BRIAN-- wrote:

    > gaspin wrote:
    > > ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    > > > Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on
    > > > the box say? Is it one specific site?
    > > >
    > > > BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible
    > > > security vulnerabilities".
    > > > [http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases]
    > > >
    > > > Spybot -
    > > > [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]
    > > >
    > > > AdAware -
    > > > [http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]
    > > >
    > > > Spyware Blaster -
    > > > [http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]
    > > >

    > > I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP.
    > > There is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title
    > > bar: Specific POP Network – Mozilla Firefox
    > > I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE).
    > > It is about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!
    > >

    > You are obviously having an abnormal problem. I have never (not even
    > once) got a pop-up using either Mozilla or FF. Never. And I surf
    > the Internet all the time... and to some crazy sites. So before you
    > chuck Mozilla, I'd recommend waiting to find a solution to your
    > problem. But if you prefer IE, by all means go with that. Everyone
    > has their own preferences in life. Just so long as you know there is
    > something abnormal going on here... whether it's Mozilla or not...
    > it's not "normal" behavior, and I'm sure you fill find the solution
    > sooner or later.
    >
    > Now... I don't doubt you are having a problem. I'm just saying I
    > have never seen a pop-up. I took the time to search MozillaZine and
    > have found the following post which most likely discusses your
    > problem:
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=107681
    >
    > Cheers.

    Brian, I read the mozillazine link and it describes exactly the problem
    I am having. There appears to be one possible solution outlined there.
    Thanks for your help.
    gaspin, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Michael Sullivan

    Sullivan Guest