    etc.

    Fairly common complaints but with Block Popup Windows selected I thought
    that Firefox would actually block all that crap. It doesn't.
    1 of 1, Apr 23, 2006

  2. 1 of 1

    gwtc Guest

    1 of 1 wrote:

    > Can Firefox be set to really block popup windows? Despite having the Block
    > Popup Windows checkbox selected I still get annoying popups such as:
    > warnings that my registry may be corrupt, click scan to scan it now.
    > warnings that I may have spyware & offers to scan my pc.
    > etc.
    >
    > Fairly common complaints but with Block Popup Windows selected I thought
    > that Firefox would actually block all that crap. It doesn't.

    FF popup blocker is supposed to be really good. However, there are
    some sites that can disable the blocking ability. And, some of these
    popups are plugin generated. Therefore, you have to disable that. In
    the address bar type in about:config then look for the entry of:

    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins

    when found, double click on it and change it to 2.

    If you don't have it, then click on any entry, right click and select
    New, Integer and in the first box, put in the above line, and in the
    next one put in the number 2.

    Then there are other popups that nothing will block.

    --
    Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You find you really
    need PowerPoint to explain what you do for a living.
    gwtc, Apr 23, 2006

  3. 1 of 1

    1 of 1 Guest

    "gwtc" <37> wrote in message
    >1 of 1 wrote:
    >
    >> Can Firefox be set to really block popup windows? Despite having the
    >> Block Popup Windows checkbox selected I still get annoying popups such
    >> as:
    >> warnings that my registry may be corrupt, click scan to scan it now.
    >> warnings that I may have spyware & offers to scan my pc.
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Fairly common complaints but with Block Popup Windows selected I thought
    >> that Firefox would actually block all that crap. It doesn't.

    > FF popup blocker is supposed to be really good. However, there are some
    > sites that can disable the blocking ability. And, some of these popups
    > are plugin generated. Therefore, you have to disable that. In the
    > address bar type in about:config then look for the entry of:
    >
    > privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >
    > when found, double click on it and change it to 2.
    >
    > If you don't have it, then click on any entry, right click and select New,
    > Integer and in the first box, put in the above line, and in the next one
    > put in the number 2.
    >
    > Then there are other popups that nothing will block.
    >
    > --
    > Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You find you really need
    > PowerPoint to explain what you do for a living.

    It's already 2 so I guess the popups that are annoying me fall in the
    can't/hard to block category.
    1 of 1, Apr 23, 2006
  4. 1 of 1

    gwtc Guest

    1 of 1 wrote:
    > "gwtc" <37> wrote in message
    >
    >>1 of 1 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Can Firefox be set to really block popup windows? Despite having the
    >>>Block Popup Windows checkbox selected I still get annoying popups such
    >>>as:
    >>>warnings that my registry may be corrupt, click scan to scan it now.
    >>>warnings that I may have spyware & offers to scan my pc.
    >>>etc.
    >>>
    >>>Fairly common complaints but with Block Popup Windows selected I thought
    >>>that Firefox would actually block all that crap. It doesn't.

    >>FF popup blocker is supposed to be really good. However, there are some
    >>sites that can disable the blocking ability. And, some of these popups
    >>are plugin generated. Therefore, you have to disable that. In the
    >>address bar type in about:config then look for the entry of:
    >>
    >>privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >>
    >>when found, double click on it and change it to 2.
    >>
    >>If you don't have it, then click on any entry, right click and select New,
    >>Integer and in the first box, put in the above line, and in the next one
    >>put in the number 2.
    >>
    >>Then there are other popups that nothing will block.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You find you really need
    >>PowerPoint to explain what you do for a living.

    > It's already 2 so I guess the popups that are annoying me fall in the
    > can't/hard to block category.

    try looking into a HOSTS file: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/

    This can also block popups

    gwtc, Apr 23, 2006
  5. 1 of 1

    1 of 1 Guest

    "gwtc" <37> wrote in message
    >1 of 1 wrote:
    >> "gwtc" <37> wrote in message

    >>>FF popup blocker is supposed to be really good. However, there are some
    >>>sites that can disable the blocking ability. And, some of these popups
    >>>are plugin generated. Therefore, you have to disable that. In the
    >>>address bar type in about:config then look for the entry of:
    >>>
    >>>privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >>>
    >>>when found, double click on it and change it to 2.
    >>>
    >>>If you don't have it, then click on any entry, right click and select
    >>>New, Integer and in the first box, put in the above line, and in the next
    >>>one put in the number 2.
    >>>
    >>>Then there are other popups that nothing will block.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You find you really
    >>>need PowerPoint to explain what you do for a living.

    >> It's already 2 so I guess the popups that are annoying me fall in the
    >> can't/hard to block category.

    > try looking into a HOSTS file: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/
    >
    > This can also block popups
    >
    > --
    > Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You find you really need
    > PowerPoint to explain what you do for a living.

    I tried their HOSTS file & it almost killed my computer. I couldn't get out
    of the desktop without it hanging my computer. If I did & managed to get
    back to the desktop I was left with no ICONS on my desktop & my keyboard
    wouldn't work. The only way out was to press reset.
    I used a copy of Ultimate Boot CD to get in & delete the file.
    1 of 1, Apr 25, 2006
  6. 1 of 1

    gwtc Guest

    1 of 1 wrote:

    > "gwtc" <37> wrote in message
    >
    >>1 of 1 wrote:
    >>
    >>>"gwtc" <37> wrote in message

    >>>It's already 2 so I guess the popups that are annoying me fall in the
    >>>can't/hard to block category.

    >>try looking into a HOSTS file: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/
    >>
    >>This can also block popups
    >>
    >>--
    >>Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You find you really need
    >>PowerPoint to explain what you do for a living.

    > I tried their HOSTS file & it almost killed my computer. I couldn't get out
    > of the desktop without it hanging my computer. If I did & managed to get
    > back to the desktop I was left with no ICONS on my desktop & my keyboard
    > wouldn't work. The only way out was to press reset.
    > I used a copy of Ultimate Boot CD to get in & delete the file.

    a hosts file wouldn't do that. Unless you installed the Adult one,
    then that one might cause slowness problems. Which hosts file did you
    install?

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Why do people point to their wrist when asking
    for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the
    gwtc, Apr 25, 2006
  7. 1 of 1

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 23/04/06 05:59, 1 of 1 Scribbled:
    > Can Firefox be set to really block popup windows? Despite having the Block
    > Popup Windows checkbox selected I still get annoying popups such as:
    > warnings that my registry may be corrupt, click scan to scan it now.
    > warnings that I may have spyware & offers to scan my pc.
    > etc.
    >
    > Fairly common complaints but with Block Popup Windows selected I thought
    > that Firefox would actually block all that crap. It doesn't.

    You most probably have spyware - perhaps from IE usage?
    <url:http://spybot.info/>

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans - <url:http://jedifans.com/>